EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 11:35 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad to see this report making the rounds of many news sources, including kelley's blue book, the washington post, etc..

It just goes to show that you need to look at the entire life cycle of the vehicle (not just the emissions when it's being used, but how it was made; how efficient it is - huge trucks made for one man personal use aren't good, like the EV Hummer; how long will it last; and what happens after it's not used to its parts) in order to determine how "green" it really is.

Old 03-08-24, 12:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
It just goes to show that you need to look at the entire life cycle of the vehicle
100% agree.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Old 03-09-24, 11:29 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

This is quite interesting. No one will argue against the fact that a BEV will emit a lower CO2 footprint over its entire lifecycle compared to an ICE, hybrid, PHEV, etc. There have been enough studies, reports, etc to prove that out. Those are facts, and I think undisputed.

However, the goal here is to replace as many ICE cars as possible, and as fast as possible, so as to slow down growth of CO2 emissions at a faster rate. However, if the mass adoption of BEV's is bottlenecked by the availability of critical resources, then Toyota's argument is that for a given quantify of critical minerals, you are better off in the short term to replace 90 ICE cars with 90 hybrids as opposed to replacing only 1 ICE car with 1 BEV and still having to deal with another 89 ICE cars on the street.

Of course, the holy grail is to replace 100% of all ICE cars with 100% of BEVs, but that solution is severely hampered by the lack of critical minerals, long development time to produce them, infrastructure gaps, etc., which all stretch out the timeline to achieve this holy grail objective.

Of course, the counter argument to this is that this strategy may hamper the further development, investment, and acceleration of BEV's into the market.

Last edited by TGPCanada; 03-09-24 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
This is quite interesting. No one will argue against the fact that a BEV will emit a lower CO2 footprint over its entire lifecycle compared to an ICE, hybrid, PHEV, etc. There have been enough studies, reports, etc to prove that out. Those are facts, and I think undisputed.

However, the goal here is to replace as many ICE cars as possible, and as fast as possible, so as to slow down growth of CO2 emissions at a faster rate. However, if the mass adoption of BEV's is bottlenecked by the availability of critical resources, then Toyota's argument is that for a given quantify of critical minerals, you are better off in the short term to replace 60 ICE cars with 60 hybrids as opposed to replacing only 1 ICE car with 1 BEV and still having to deal with another 59 ICE cars on the street.

Of course, the holy grail is to replace 100% of all ICE cars with 100% of BEVs, but that solution is severely hampered by the lack of critical minerals, long development time to produce them, infrastructure gaps, etc., which all stretch out the timeline to achieve this holy grail objective.

Of course, the counter argument to this is that this strategy may hamper the further development, investment, and acceleration of BEV's into the market.
As someone who has myself replaced 75 percent of my ICE vehicles with BEV, and living in California where BEV adoption is very high, it's not a realistic goal. No way you can replace 100 percent ICE with BEV using artificial timelines. Without getting into anymore details, it's a transition that will take many years.

As far as carbon emissions, many of us have stated that it's not why we moved to BEV'S. People like me did it for performance and driving dynamics, and the ability to "fuel" at home
The following users liked this post:
TGPCanada (03-09-24)
Old 03-09-24, 12:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I'm truly baffled how anyone could believe a hybrid is 37 times cleaner than a BEV. Even more unbelievable if that's possible is that infographic says a hybrid replaces the gas engine.
Old 03-09-24, 01:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm truly baffled how anyone could believe a hybrid is 37 times cleaner than a BEV. Even more unbelievable if that's possible is that infographic says a hybrid replaces the gas engine.
It is quite baffling...
Old 03-09-24, 06:47 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

I think they are saying that, with the same quantity of critical mineral resources, you can either put on the street: A) 1 BEV and 89 ICEs or B) 90 Hybrids. And in this scenario, Option B will result in 37 times less CO2 output than Option A. So their argument is it is better to use those critical mineral resources to produce 90 hybrids (to replace 90 ICEs) instead of 1 BEV (to replace only 1 ICE) if you want to cause a faster CO2 reduction for the planet
Old 03-09-24, 07:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I think they are saying that, with the same quantity of critical mineral resources, you can either put on the street: A) 1 BEV and 89 ICEs or B) 90 Hybrids. And in this scenario, Option B will result in 37 times less CO2 output than Option A. So their argument is it is better to use those critical mineral resources to produce 90 hybrids (to replace 90 ICEs) instead of 1 BEV (to replace only 1 ICE) if you want to cause a faster CO2 reduction for the planet
​​​​​​To me that's just a way for Toyota to say we messed up and therefore don't have a viable EV
Old 03-09-24, 07:35 PM
asj2024
Advanced

I've been driving a hybrid for 14 years now, and am new to plug-ins (just dipped my toe into the plugin market with a PHEV). I am quite liberal and am all for protecting the environment, but after reading more about the current situation, I'm very skeptical about any plans in the USA to move totally away from ICE in just a decade (or even worse, half a decade)..

I came to this conclusion after being bombarded earlier about how fast the BEV adoption rate was growing (as if they would soon swamp everything else), but then finding out plug-ins (PHEV+BEV) make up LESS THAN 1% of total currently registered vehicles in the USA (0.86%)! And this at a time when the rate of growth of new cars that are BEV is ALREADY slowing down!

Add in all the logistical, political, cultural, and economic headwinds against it, and I think it will take much much longer to remove all pure ICE cars from the roads in the USA...perhaps even generational time.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-09-24 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 07:46 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​To me that's just a way for Toyota to say we messed up and therefore don't have a viable EV
With all due respect, your reply makes no sense.

They did not release the raw data crunched, but here are more summary articles on why Toyota thinks that way:

https://energyminute.ca/news/toyotas-1690-rule-the-case-for-hybrids/

https://autos.yahoo.com/why-toyota-isnt-rushing-sell-154000759.html

Do we have data or analysis that would refute this?

Last edited by asj2024; 03-09-24 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 08:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Which makes absolutely no sense. None. Hybrid does not replace ICE it IS an ICE vehicle.
Old 03-09-24, 08:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

With all due respect, your reply makes no sense.

They did not release the raw data crunched, but here are more summary articles on why Toyota thinks that way:

https://energyminute.ca/news/toyotas-1690-rule-the-case-for-hybrids/

https://autos.yahoo.com/why-toyota-isnt-rushing-sell-154000759.html

Do we have data or analysis that would refute this?
It's pretty obvious. Toyotas recent entry, the bz4x was an abject failure. After cancelling the RAV4 EV in 2014 (which was very popular in California) and hedging a failed bet on HEV, they tried to pivot back, but found securing batteries during the COVID shortages was difficult due to supply chain shortages, and they fell way behind. So the excuse was that they could build more Hybrids and phev's due to their smaller battery sizes. The fact is, Akio messed up, which is why he's no longer CEO. This has been discussed extensively in other threads.

That being said, if I was Toyota/Lexus I would continue to double down on hybrids and PHEV'S, as they still sell extremely well. But ultimately I believe if they had a decent BEV, it would outsell their hybrids, as Tesla conquest sales shows a decent percentage of their customers are coming from Toyota and Lexus
Old 03-09-24, 08:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Toyota must be laughing themselves silly realizing they tricked people into thinking adding a tiny battery to a gas car makes it 37 times cleaner than an EV.
Old 03-09-24, 09:29 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Just an idea to throw out there.

Maybe Toyota will wait on mass producing EVs until they can make money at it.

The hybrids sell out from what peeps on here say so they have a good market of guaranteed sales with margin, at least I'm guessing they do.

Old 03-09-24, 10:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Why would Toyota sell a car with 37 times worse emissions?

Quick Reply: The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV