EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Is the EV Market Waning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 09:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by G30540i
BMW is heavily subsidizing the residuals and MF with their electric leases right now. Not to mention the $7500 EV credit that has no income or price limits when leasing. It sure makes them very tempting as their TCO is very low right now for a luxury car. Compare to the lease prices on BMW ICE cars and they're definitely using ICE profits to subsidize their EVs.
I don't know that we can reliably draw that conclusion. "Subsidized BMW leases" have been a thing since long before anyone, much less BMW, had EVs to sell. At least 20 or 25 years. Let's grab an "equivalent" example:

i5 xDrive 40: MSRP $72,925 less $1500 dealer contribution and $7500 lease credit. $6,660 down and $749/mo
540i xDrive: MSRP $67,595 less $1500 dealer contribution and $1000 lease credit. $6,969 down and $799/mo

Main difference is obviously the difference in lease credit covering the $5,330 difference in MSRP, plus another $1,170. This makes the purchase price slightly lower and would lower the lease payment by $23.40 if the money factor were zero.

But it isn't BMW providing that $7500. That's a federal incentive, they're just passing it through. So in this case, the ICE car has $1,000 more upfront subsidy from BMW. They're not juicing the residual either, as the lease-end purchase option of the two cars are only $120 apart despite the EV's higher sticker. Maybe there's a slight difference in MF, but we're talking about maybe $15/mo of the $799/mo coming from any discrepancy there.
The following 2 users liked this post by geko29:
AMIRZA786 (05-07-24), swajames (05-07-24)
Old 05-08-24, 05:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People who haven't bought a car in a long time are totally unprepared for what cars cost today. Cars are expensive.
yup. gotta make beans from investments to make the car less of an issue.
if we get too wrapped up on what it is now vs what it was in the past, yeah... it's gonna be painful.
but then almost all of the groceries we buy are now double (or much tinier packages, i hate that) what they were before covid.

I'm so exasperated trying to make a deal work to replace my car I'm about to bag it and just keep it, I've never had a harder time working out a deal.
we've heard you say you'll keep the current car (perfectly reasonable option!) multiple times, but if i was a betting person, i'd say you'll get the shiny new thing.

In terms of EV vs ICE cost, I'm looking at 760s and i7s as you know, the i7 is slightly more expensive than the 760 (about $4k more), BUT the way the lease deals work out its actually about $350 a month cheaper to lease. When you factor in the $300-350 a month I spend on gas, yeah an EV would be ~$550 a month cheaper for the identical car.
not surprised. from your posts, i think you'd LOVE the i7, even with the concern about your trips to W Va which i think are a non-issue if you have a 30A charger to use overnight at your relative's place. any time you spend on charging too will be vastly more than offset by not wasting time going to gas stations.
Old 05-08-24, 05:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup. gotta make beans from investments to make the car less of an issue.
if we get too wrapped up on what it is now vs what it was in the past, yeah... it's gonna be painful.
but then almost all of the groceries we buy are now double (or much tinier packages, i hate that) what they were before covid.
For sure, it is what it is…

we've heard you say you'll keep the current car (perfectly reasonable option!) multiple times, but if i was a betting person, i'd say you'll get the shiny new thing.
Im not going to keep it long term, but I may keep it for a while. The right opportunity to replace it will come, I just haven’t found a dealer that is sufficiently motivated yet. I’m surprised by how easily these dealers are letting a deal that has $5,000 in profit in it on a car that’s sitting on their lot go, they just seem totally uninterested.

not surprised. from your posts, i think you'd LOVE the i7, even with the concern about your trips to W Va which i think are a non-issue if you have a 30A charger to use overnight at your relative's place. any time you spend on charging too will be vastly more than offset by not wasting time going to gas stations.
I think I would too. Issue is that BMWs on the ground tend to lack a couple options I want. One they are all shadow line trim so none of them have the chrome grille etc, and two they lack the upgraded audio and interior I would want. S Classes on the ground tend to be spec’ed in a way that works for me.

Ordering a car throws all the negotiation out the window.

While I do want a new car, I’m not going to pay $2,000+ a month for one of these cars…even the i7 dealers just don’t seem motivated…
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 05:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

While I do want a new car, I’m not going to pay $2,000+ a month for one of these cars…even the i7 dealers just don’t seem motivated…
the struggle is real.

if you think it's bad here... i was just in the uk. this converts to about $205,000.

have you considered a cadillac lyriq by the way? i find it to be a very appealing vehicle although i've not driven one.
AMIRZA786 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the struggle is real.
Oh I know, princess problems right? lol

if you think it's bad here... i was just in the uk. this converts to about $205,000.
The M70 isn't much cheaper here, they can be $190k or so...WAY overpriced.

have you considered a cadillac lyriq by the way? i find it to be a very appealing vehicle although i've not driven one.
I have thought about them, I've seen a few. The back of it kind of reminds me of a Pacer...which isn't a good thing to be reminded of lol, I will check one out though.

Old 05-08-24, 04:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

That Ultim platform is too buggy right now, I would pass on any GM EV.

They look good though.
Old 05-08-24, 05:43 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 449 Posts

The UK price on that i7 M70 includes 20% VAT. The tax exclusive amount is about 170K USD, it's not that different from the US tax-exclusive price.
Old 05-08-24, 06:49 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I’m half seriously looking to lease the Nissan Ariya (for the wife). There are still plenty ‘of 23s on dealers lots (already celebrated their birthdays) and, per leasehackr, can be leased for low to mid $300s ($0 or first payment at signing - 18 month/10k year), depending on the trim level. Unfortunately dealers around Chicago area are not very motivated to move them - yet. As a bonus, you can buy additional miles during the lease at a cost of $0.10/mile.
Old 05-08-24, 07:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,740 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
I’m half seriously looking to lease the Nissan Ariya (for the wife). There are still plenty ‘of 23s on dealers lots (already celebrated their birthdays) and, per leasehackr, can be leased for low to mid $300s ($0 or first payment at signing - 18 month/10k year), depending on the trim level. Unfortunately dealers around Chicago area are not very motivated to move them - yet. As a bonus, you can buy additional miles during the lease at a cost of $0.10/mile.
I ran into a guy on a trip to Southern California, he uses it for Uber. Said he Loves the car. Looked very spacious
stasek (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
The UK price on that i7 M70 includes 20% VAT. The tax exclusive amount is about 170K USD, it's not that different from the US tax-exclusive price.
excluding taxes doesn't mean much if you have no choice but to pay them/

i feel pretty confident without doing a lot of research that an i7 m70 is a good chunk more out the door in the uk vs. the u.s. the only thing potentially helping the uk price is that the pound is so weak. for a while at least.

The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (05-08-24), Hameed (05-10-24)
Old 05-09-24, 07:36 AM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I don't know that we can reliably draw that conclusion. "Subsidized BMW leases" have been a thing since long before anyone, much less BMW, had EVs to sell. At least 20 or 25 years. Let's grab an "equivalent" example:

i5 xDrive 40: MSRP $72,925 less $1500 dealer contribution and $7500 lease credit. $6,660 down and $749/mo
540i xDrive: MSRP $67,595 less $1500 dealer contribution and $1000 lease credit. $6,969 down and $799/mo

Main difference is obviously the difference in lease credit covering the $5,330 difference in MSRP, plus another $1,170. This makes the purchase price slightly lower and would lower the lease payment by $23.40 if the money factor were zero.

But it isn't BMW providing that $7500. That's a federal incentive, they're just passing it through. So in this case, the ICE car has $1,000 more upfront subsidy from BMW. They're not juicing the residual either, as the lease-end purchase option of the two cars are only $120 apart despite the EV's higher sticker. Maybe there's a slight difference in MF, but we're talking about maybe $15/mo of the $799/mo coming from any discrepancy there.
The G60 just came out

Let's compare the X5 base ICE vs the iX which is already getting long in the tooth for an EV....

2024 BMW X5 sDrive40i $68xxx

(Park Assistance)
  • $3000 Total at signing
  • $789 plus tax (adding MSD Saves $30)
  • 39/7.5k

2024 BMW iX xDrive50 $90xxx

(Convenience)
  • $4000 Total at signing
  • $665 plus tax (adding MSD Saves $50)
  • 36/7.5k
It's much more than $7500 fed rebate difference here. The pumped up iX residuals (you can't just take BMW's lease end residual at face value as BMW will need to apply heavy incentives to sell the iX as no way they're selling the iX at their residual value at lease end -yes the X5's residuals are also "fake", but not as much as the iX - you can see the seriously fake residuals too on MB EVs) and MF are a huge difference than the best deals on the X5 right now.
But you're right, the amazing EV deals are starting to dry up. Especially with MB, they really cut down their EV production it seems vs just 6-12 months ago.

Last edited by G30540i; 05-09-24 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-09-24, 07:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Comp should really be for the X5 xDrive50e which starts at $73K. 40i is considerably slower.
swajames (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 08:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

For sure, it is what it is…

Im not going to keep it long term, but I may keep it for a while. The right opportunity to replace it will come, I just haven’t found a dealer that is sufficiently motivated yet. I’m surprised by how easily these dealers are letting a deal that has $5,000 in profit in it on a car that’s sitting on their lot go, they just seem totally uninterested.

I think I would too. Issue is that BMWs on the ground tend to lack a couple options I want. One they are all shadow line trim so none of them have the chrome grille etc, and two they lack the upgraded audio and interior I would want. S Classes on the ground tend to be spec’ed in a way that works for me.

Ordering a car throws all the negotiation out the window.

All my BMWs have been custom ordered and never had issues negotiating. They hold your lease deal until the car comes and if programs improve, you benefit.
You can also join BMW CCA and get $1,000 rebate which is independent of dealer discounts.

Also HIGHLY recommend doing Performance Center Delivery is SC.
SW17LS (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 09:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by G30540i
The G60 just came out

Let's compare the X5 base ICE vs the iX which is already getting long in the tooth for an EV....
That just might have something to do with it. The X5 and iX are just completely different cars, not really the best comparison. They've been struggling to move the iX since the day it launched. The i5 and 5-series are the same car with the same chassis code, launched at the same time so it's a direct comparison.

That said, while I'm not going to do the full dive I did above, on the surface it looks like i4 vs. 4 gran coupe (both G26) supports your point.
Old 05-09-24, 09:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Also HIGHLY recommend doing Performance Center Delivery is SC.
Not really the perk it once was. It was discontinued entirely in September, and when it came back in January, it was only for vehicles built in the Spartanburg factory (basically SUVs whose model designation starts with an X), and all of the previously-included logistics stuff (hotel, dinner, transportation to the PDC, etc) had been eliminated. It's not available for any of the non-SUV M cars, or more relevant to this thread, any of their EVs.

Now it's pretty much "we'll give you a couple of hours of our time in exchange for not having to ship your SUV".

Quick Reply: Is the EV Market Waning?