EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

100% Tariff on Chinese-Made EVs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24 | 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
​​​​​​The downsides to protectionism is widely known

* Higher prices for consumers due to less competition
Personally, although I know that some here in CL will not agree with me, I don't mind paying a little more for an American-built vehicle, a long as the money is not going to support the Chinese auto industry and the way they treat labor.

Although I WILL say this about the Chinese...anybody who loves Buicks as much as they do can't be all bad.
Old 05-19-24 | 07:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Personally, although I know that some here in CL will not agree with me, I don't mind paying a little more for an American-built vehicle, a long as the money is not going to support the Chinese auto industry and the way they treat labor.

Although I WILL say this about the Chinese...anybody who loves Buicks as much as they do can't be all bad.
Mike, don't you believe that markets should be mutually reciprocal?
In other words, if American GM's imported to China are subject to tariffs unless the GM products are locally assembled in China, then Chinese vehicles imported to the US should be equally subject to the same import duties, unless those Chinese vehicles are equivalently assembled in the USA?
Fair is fair?
Old 05-19-24 | 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
The context of "robot" in this video is more intelligent machines that can replace jobs that machines and current robots can't currently do and god help us.
ha, yes, robot in the video is one that can learn and robots that can teach each other. you know, rise of the machines. what could possibly go wrong.

Guess what, in the future you will be the horse that's no longer needed. Lol
It's NOT a good thing. Lol
Pretty much doom for mankind.
what if the millions of physical labor workers no longer needed are paid anyway, some kind of welfare of 'universal basic income'?

i agree people should still do something productive, and if not grunt work in a factory, how about helping others? like helping the mentally ill or the elderly? obviously a giant unmet need gap for that.
Old 05-20-24 | 02:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uaw will become completely irrelevant in the next few years as robots take over all physical jobs. the robots will work 24hrs a day, never complain, for about $5/hr.

https://youtu.be/9AcYWY5LpTM?si=KMyuiiX_1mFcuQw1
There are many robotized and automated jobs today, especially compared to 30 years ago, and yet unemployment rates are at historical low.

Things will change and new things will pop up. It is all about becoming more productive at the end.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24 | 02:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
We should only free trade with a country that equally free trades in mutual reciprocation.
Eg US can free trade with Mexico and Canada.
However, when China imposes tariffs on imported US automobiles, then the US should equally impose tariffs on Chinese made automobiles.
The way it works, you protect when you think you are outmatched and need protection.

Reason USA did not have large duties for Chinese products is because they were mostly western brands exporting from China and using China for low labor costs.
It puffed up everyone's profit coffins for last 20 years or more.

Now it is payback time, they have learned to produce cars as that was part of the deal and China mandated all the factories to be Chinese company owned.
In the end, they will produce cars in US just like Toyota/Hyundai do, and it will become new normal.
The following 3 users liked this post by spwolf:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-24), bitkahuna (05-20-24), Hameed (05-20-24)