EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2024 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-24 | 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

my how much louder the motor noise is on the old one!
Old 07-09-24 | 09:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

There's a reason that a self-avowed drag racing fanatic has owned a GT4 for 3 years and yet never taken it to the dragstrip until this video. Yes it will do that, but it's not even remotely close to what the car is about.
The following 2 users liked this post by geko29:
AMIRZA786 (07-09-24), bitkahuna (07-09-24)
Old 07-09-24 | 09:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
There's a reason that a self-avowed drag racing fanatic has owned a GT4 for 3 years and yet never taken it to the dragstrip until this video. Yes it will do that, but it's not even remotely close to what the car is about.
I have a co-worker who sits across from me who's a Porsche owner, and he said that same exact thing you said. Well, close to what you said
Old 07-09-24 | 09:29 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my how much louder the motor noise is on the old one!
I've been hearing it's actually a fair bit quieter - have yet to hear it for myself though
Old 07-09-24 | 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
I've been hearing it's actually a fair bit quieter - have yet to hear it for myself though
i think you mean the new one is a fair bit quieter, and yes, indeed, it is, a lot. but that video made the old one sound pretty bad, lol.
The following users liked this post:
swajames (07-09-24)
Old 07-09-24 | 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yes, but except the intangible of 'joy to drive' i suspect that model 3 performance will beat the gt4 in any performance situation.
AMIRZA786 (07-09-24)
Old 07-10-24 | 08:41 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

yes, but except the intangible of 'joy to drive' i suspect that model 3 performance will beat the gt4 in any performance situation.
"Joy to drive" is about the only thing that matters to me these days, but that's neither here nor there.

It will outshine the GT4 in a fair number of situations, sure. Excluding any that involve any form of braking, or using the car's capabilities for more than a minute or two at a time.

Watched a video today of the new M3P on the ring. The brakes literally caught on fire after less than 1/4 lap (11 turns under braking, 13 with no braking; a full lap is 157 turns). I have never.....ever....seen brakes fail that quickly on any vehicle, particularly not one with a factory "track mode". Even the TRX lasted longer. It then fell into thermal throttling after half a lap, cutting power by about 40%. The GT4 will do that for hours on end, with an occasional stop for fuel and/ perhaps tires.

Do any of us drive on the Nürburgring on a regular basis? Of course not. But it's a good, standardized proxy for taking advantage of a car's capabilities. You should be able to push a performance car hard in canyons or whatever for more than a handful of corners without it crippling itself.

The much-maligned new 911 GTS hybrid had a design goal of being able to complete one full lap with the hybrid battery starting at 100% and the factory driver pursuing track record, finishing at 0% charge, with no throttling due to charge level or heatsoak. It accomplished that, which means that no normal owner will ever find the technical limits of the powertrain, no matter how hard they push the car, nor for how long. Similarly the Ioniq 5N can complete 2 full laps with no performance impairments whatsoever. Since I'm not an uber-talented factory driver, I bet I could lap the 5N (with a much slower time) until the battery was nearly dead without triggering any protections. But based on what I've seen, I bet I could find the M3Ps limits on the street. It would take some effort to be sure but I could get there. I know for a fact that I'm nowhere near good enough to push a GT4 to its limits in any situation.

Last edited by geko29; 07-10-24 at 08:47 PM.
AMIRZA786 (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24 | 09:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

"Joy to drive" is about the only thing that matters to me these days, but that's neither here nor there.

It will outshine the GT4 in a fair number of situations, sure. Excluding any that involve any form of braking, or using the car's capabilities for more than a minute or two at a time.

Watched a video today of the new M3P on the ring. The brakes literally caught on fire after less than 1/4 lap (11 turns under braking, 13 with no braking; a full lap is 157 turns). I have never.....ever....seen brakes fail that quickly on any vehicle, particularly not one with a factory "track mode". Even the TRX lasted longer. It then fell into thermal throttling after half a lap, cutting power by about 40%. The GT4 will do that for hours on end, with an occasional stop for fuel and/ perhaps tires.

Do any of us drive on the Nürburgring on a regular basis? Of course not. But it's a good, standardized proxy for taking advantage of a car's capabilities. You should be able to push a performance car hard in canyons or whatever for more than a handful of corners without it crippling itself.

The much-maligned new 911 GTS hybrid had a design goal of being able to complete one full lap with the hybrid battery starting at 100% and the factory driver pursuing track record, finishing at 0% charge, with no throttling due to charge level or heatsoak. It accomplished that, which means that no normal owner will ever find the technical limits of the powertrain, no matter how hard they push the car, nor for how long. Similarly the Ioniq 5N can complete 2 full laps with no performance impairments whatsoever. Since I'm not an uber-talented factory driver, I bet I could lap the 5N (with a much slower time) until the battery was nearly dead without triggering any protections. But based on what I've seen, I bet I could find the M3Ps limits on the street. It would take some effort to be sure but I could get there. I know for a fact that I'm nowhere near good enough to push a GT4 to its limits in any situation.
I totally agree with you. M3P is a pure street car that can do a few rounds on the track. I'm sure the aftermarket will fix some of those deficiencies, but I would never do more than a dragstrip with it. Honestly, I wouldn't even do a dragstrip. I'll stick to being a "red light" warrior 🤣
BayeauxLex (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24 | 04:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

One is an appliance and one is not so they aren’t really comparable cars. The M3P will beat the GT4 is almost every performance category but the GT4 is a much more special car to me and other enthusiasts. There is a reason they aren’t depreciating at all and have been increasing in value. For a weekend car give me the GT4 all day, every day.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (07-11-24), BayeauxLex (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24 | 07:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
One is an appliance and one is not so they aren’t really comparable cars. The M3P will beat the GT4 is almost every performance category but the GT4 is a much more special car to me and other enthusiasts. There is a reason they aren’t depreciating at all and have been increasing in value. For a weekend car give me the GT4 all day, every day.
Exactly. Also the M3P is a $55k appliance and the GT4 is around $150k. You daily drive the M3P and GT4 is your garage queen
Old 07-11-24 | 11:07 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I totally agree with you. M3P is a pure street car that can do a few rounds on the track. I'm sure the aftermarket will fix some of those deficiencies, but I would never do more than a dragstrip with it. Honestly, I wouldn't even do a dragstrip. I'll stick to being a "red light" warrior 🤣
Originally Posted by patgilm
Several GT4s coming to the track this weekend. One guy I know is bringing his GT4. He also has a M2 competition that he tracks as well. I’ll be on the lookout for the new M3P and see how it fares and try to pick their brain on modifications.
AMIRZA786 (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24 | 03:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Old 07-11-24 | 05:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

tesla seems to have a problem with brakes. the model s plaid braids have been assessed many times as inadequate.
Old 07-11-24 | 06:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

tesla seems to have a problem with brakes. the model s plaid braids have been assessed many times as inadequate.
They are just not investing in heavy duty track ready brakes and rotors. Aftermarket will address this, and I'm guessing they will offer track ready brakes as an option later on like they did for the Plaid
Old 07-24-24 | 12:51 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Is this a Performance model? It looks really good. The new wheels really complete it. I was on the fence before about the new design but I love it now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blaze876:
AMIRZA786 (07-24-24), BayeauxLex (07-24-24)

Quick Reply: 2024 Tesla Model 3 Performance