EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

motortrend rightfully shreds phevs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 02:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Sounds like perfect combo would be one ICE and one EV.

Do you all think Phevs will loose their popularity in the future in favor of hybrids and EVs?
I don't really know what the future holds, but if I was to make an educated guess, fully battery powered cars will eventually take over, next 10 to 20 years. The way the battery tech is progressing, you won't need an engine, which IMO are like training wheels. China will be the leader in battery tech, companies like CATL will be in the forefront. But I'm biased
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-25-24)
Old 05-25-24, 02:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
It’s a hybrid so the engine is not continuously running . At least that was my case.
I was giving an extreme case. When the battery is taxed, like powering external stuff, the engine is going to run more to recharge it, especially if it's only 1.8 kWh
BayeauxLex (05-25-24)
Old 05-25-24, 02:46 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

It’s a hybrid so the engine is not continuously running . At least that was my case.
again, it has a 1.5 kWh battery. It’s going to have to run for much and maybe most of the time with anything other than a light load.
BayeauxLex (05-25-24)
Old 05-25-24, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I have something else for track duty. How does your LC sound?🧐
as widely praised as the lc500's sound is, i'm not a fan of loud engines. i took out the snake pipe under the hood that pipes more engine sound into the cabin at high rpms. not for me. it can be put back easy enough when i sell it.

i MUCH prefer the silence of an ev.

the lc500 has many other qualities though, it's fun to drive, beautifully made, great design, etc.

but it's not an ev, so not relevant to this sub forum.

I’ve powered tankless water heater, freezer, fridge, phones, iPads, air fryer, microwave, lamps, fans for day and half using the 1500w 🔌 in my fossil fuel PHEV.
likely not all at once, and as mentioned, not off your phev's battery alone for very long. a normal microwave alone can use 1000+w. air fryer will use a lot too. lamps, ipads, phones use nothing relatively. fridge and freezer only when compressors are running.
Hameed (05-25-24)
Old 05-26-24, 05:58 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as widely praised as the lc500's sound is, i'm not a fan of loud engines. i took out the snake pipe under the hood that pipes more engine sound into the cabin at high rpms. not for me. it can be put back easy enough when i sell it.

i MUCH prefer the silence of an ev.

likely not all at once, and as mentioned, not off your phev's battery alone for very long. a normal microwave alone can use 1000+w. air fryer will use a lot too. lamps, ipads, phones use nothing relatively. fridge and freezer only when compressors are running.
Something had to change prior to you purchasing the LC to now 🧐

Fridge, freezer, iPads, phones, 3 fans, all ran concurrent. Unplugged the freezer and had to use the same extension cord to run the tankless water heater long enough for 4 showers. I believe I started with the car in EV mode. By next morning it switched over to HV mode at some point throughout the night/morning. Ran 1000 watt microwave solo as I was at a relative’s house who didn’t have power to warm up food for them in the driveway. All done in the fossil fuel car 🙃
Old 05-26-24, 08:45 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

So here's a graphic from Ford giving some examples of what you can simultaneously power with Pro Power On Board, This graphic only shows the Pro Power version with up to 7.2 kW capacity, in my case I have 9.6kW on board (with 120v and 240v outlets) so I have an extra 2.4kW capacity on top.

Attached Files
BayeauxLex (05-26-24)
Old 05-26-24, 10:24 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Nothing like bashing the old technology of 2011 in defense of technology that is well over 100 years old and backing it up by with the philosophical ideas of someone who died in 1347. lol
Old 05-26-24, 10:35 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Nothing like bashing the old technology of 2011 in defense of technology that is well over 100 years old and backing it up by with the philosophical ideas of someone who died in 1347. lol
​​​It seems in some way everything has changed.

Most of us want to live 5 mins from the grocery store but also want to hop in the same vehicle and hit the road on a 500+ mile trip.

This is why I think Phevs may be good for some people and not others.

Like mentioned already, not sure what thread, is that Phevs don't do Ice or EV the best but seem to fit certain people's driving needs, gosh I don't know ya'll. Lol
Old 05-26-24, 11:00 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

​​​It seems in some way everything has changed.

Most of us want to live 5 mins from the grocery store but also want to hop in the same vehicle and hit the road on a 500+ mile trip.

This is why I think Phevs may be good for some people and not others.

Like mentioned already, not sure what thread, is that Phevs don't do Ice or EV the best but seem to fit certain people's driving needs, gosh I don't know ya'll. Lol
Lieberman showed his hand at the beginning with his "vision for humanity's future" eco-whining.

The Prius Prime is a very good and affordable solution for folks that want to drive an EV most of the time but don't want to deal with the hassle of charging on longer trips. It's affordable and the battery is backed by a 10 year/ 150k mile warranty, so all the 100% charging crying in the article is ridiculous, since that is better than what most BEV owners get.

Last edited by Bob04; 05-26-24 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-26-24, 11:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Lol did I miss something?

EDIT

Oh nevermind. Just you defending PHEV's
Margate330 (05-26-24)
Old 05-26-24, 11:33 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Lol did I miss something?

EDIT

Oh nevermind. Just you defending PHEV's
I'm trying to defend Phevs too, only because I think they deserve a seat at the table. Lol 🤓
AMIRZA786 (05-26-24)
Old 05-26-24, 11:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm trying to defend Phevs too, only because I think they deserve a seat at the table. Lol 🤓
I agree, they compete directly with BEV's
Old 05-26-24, 03:38 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

In support of best tool for the job - if the power goes out, my NG whole home generator kicks on and I have reliable (but loud) power to my home I've had it power my home for over a week with no hiccups when a bad snowstorm took down some poles. The only thing we don't have powered when the grid goes down is the EV chargers. If the weather's that bad, we're not going anywhere anyway
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (05-26-24), swajames (05-26-24)
Old 05-26-24, 04:47 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
In support of best tool for the job - if the power goes out, my NG whole home generator kicks on and I have reliable (but loud) power to my home I've had it power my home for over a week with no hiccups when a bad snowstorm took down some poles. The only thing we don't have powered when the grid goes down is the EV chargers. If the weather's that bad, we're not going anywhere anyway
Same. I purchased a NG whole generator couple weeks later but wife was impressed with the Rav handling some of the load after my old portable generator wouldn’t start. It’s a piece of mind having whole home generator especially when the wife and kids are home and I’m away at work.

Oh yeah before I ran the cords to the Rav I said to myself, this is either going to work, or I’m about to F something up. Oh well I have a warranty 🤣
Old 05-26-24, 04:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Something had to change prior to you purchasing the LC to now 🧐
it hasn't. i've never been a fan of loud cars, loud exhausts, loud engines, blow off valves, etc. i have done aftermarket exhausts on two of my cars, but for looks and weight reduction, not louder sound.

Fridge, freezer, iPads, phones, 3 fans, all ran concurrent. Unplugged the freezer and had to use the same extension cord to run the tankless water heater long enough for 4 showers. I believe I started with the car in EV mode. By next morning it switched over to HV mode at some point throughout the night/morning. Ran 1000 watt microwave solo as I was at a relative’s house who didn’t have power to warm up food for them in the driveway. All done in the fossil fuel car 🙃
nice!

i can't follow this post... who's the 12th century philosopher?
edit: oh, Occam...

so about your post... 100 year old electric cars may have existed but obviously they were nothing like todays and hopelessly inadequate.
the prius is a car whose time has come and gone. applause to toyota though for putting hybrid tech into most their mainstream vehicles now.

i think gm was first with a phev (volt) ? it sold like death. phev's have improved but still only make sense to very few customers. the electric range is tiny. you still have to maintain an ice powertrain. you have to charge it 10x as often as an ev. the extra cost doesn't justify itself over an ev or even a hybrid vehicle. in short, as the article says, they make no sense, and will go away in a few years.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-26-24 at 05:30 PM.
BayeauxLex (05-26-24)

Quick Reply: motortrend rightfully shreds phevs