EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Gotta love Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24, 09:58 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 250 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
That was the Cliff Notes version!😵😵‍💫
LOL. Lots of valid points and info there though.

I personally enjoy the negotiation process.
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (06-02-24)
Old 06-02-24, 11:00 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 362 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bob04
Because I'm considerate—nay, I care—I break up my text for easier reading and digestion. You're Welcome!

Neglecting this simple courtesy may induce:

* Reduced comprehension: Leaving you pondering, "What did I just read?"
* Disorientation: A sudden inability to distinguish up from down or fiction from reality.
* Nausea, vertigo, warped reality, tunnel vision: Let's just say your world might get a bit...wobbly.
* Loss of interest: A sudden urge to stare blankly into space, contemplating the meaning of life (or lack thereof).
* Confetti eyes: Okay, maybe not that, but your eyes will definitely thank you for the white space.
Attached Thumbnails Gotta love Dealerships-mind-blown.png  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 06-03-24 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-02-24, 11:27 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

There's a hidden logic at play!

My insanity is my superpower!
Old 06-03-24, 01:34 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

In the minority, we revel in the art of the deal. I mean, yeah, me too.

Old 06-03-24, 03:39 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by swajames
Yes even in the deepest depths of the pandemic, Ford Store of Morgan Hill maintained their no ADM policy and both my Lightning and my Bronco were at MSRP plus there was no finance BS and no compulsory addition of worthless products. The DGDG dealerships around here are ones I do my best to avoid and Capitol Ford, in my direct experience, is one of the worst.
Here are just a few articles discussing how new vehicle markups could negatively impact dealers and brands.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/04...says-research/
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/01...justment-fees/

I stumbled upon an old post I shared more than two years ago, featuring a G70 ADM and the sticker image.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11234782

Last edited by UltraLux22; 06-03-24 at 04:00 AM.
swajames (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 07:23 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

Pretty simple concept, if you don’t like paying a markup don’t buy the car. I am looking at a Cayenne GTS right now and because of demand I would have to pay MSRP or I could wait a few months and get 3-4% off through a broker so either I wait for demand to slow or just pay MSRP or just get something else. If nobody paid the markups then they wouldn’t mark it up.
swajames (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 07:36 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Pretty simple concept, if you don’t like paying a markup don’t buy the car. I am looking at a Cayenne GTS right now and because of demand I would have to pay MSRP or I could wait a few months and get 3-4% off through a broker so either I wait for demand to slow or just pay MSRP or just get something else. If nobody paid the markups then they wouldn’t mark it up.
Exactly. I think the best course of action is to take emotion out of the equation and avoid the "what's hot" cars until things settle down. Even if there is no markup, I still avoid the first year models as they tend to be more problematic.
Old 06-03-24, 07:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,115 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Definitely, he's very thorough, to say the least.

I absolutely hate it because I hate being lied to. My last lease I spent one month negotiating, when all I wanted was the deal they were advertising on their website. I would make a deal with the sales guy, then the finance guy would arrogantly act as if the deal I made never happened. Also mysteriously the car I wanted just "got sold", and the next closest one had special paint or some $1500 dealer installed options. Ended up wasting so much of my time just to get the advertised deal.

My Tesla on the other hand took 10 minutes to order, I knew exactly to the penny I was paying before I placed my order
Old 06-03-24, 08:02 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 974 Likes on 777 Posts

I never had a problem buying new cars but have over paid on occasion. Lol

Everything has changed from what y'all say and due to short supply they can play games like never before.

For buying used cars I recommend a smaller used car lot that has excellent reviews and specializes in clean low mileage cars.

I find that kind of dealer treats people most fairly, for used anyway.

Forget private sale, they want more than the car lots do. Lol
UltraLux22 (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 08:39 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 661 Likes on 413 Posts

You can learn from experience whether or not a service department at a car dealer generally operates in good faith or not, but you can never trust the sales department at any car dealer. So you must always assume the worst, and more often than not your low expectations will be met. The other thing to remember is that if the dealer agrees to the deal, then almost by definition you left some money on the table. No matter how good you might think the deal is. There are almost no exceptions to this rule. It may not be a difference you care about or should care about, but if they agreed to it then there's something you left behind.
Old 06-03-24, 10:16 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by patgilm
Markups are like Stockholm Syndrome for consumers; they’re the ultimate gaslighting by our wallets! It’s the age-old story of paying extra for things we really don’t need. We spot the markup, protest it, surrender to it, grumble about it, complain to anyone within earshot, rationalize its necessity, curse how enticing it is, delude ourselves that we need it, lament one more time, feel guilt and regret, and finally realize we never needed it but secretly adore it!

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Exactly. I think the best course of action is to take emotion out of the equation and avoid the "what's hot" cars until things settle down. Even if there is no markup, I still avoid the first year models as they tend to be more problematic.
Where's the fun in that?

Last edited by UltraLux22; 06-03-24 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-03-24, 10:39 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Margate330
I never had a problem buying new cars but have over paid on occasion. Lol

Everything has changed from what y'all say and due to short supply they can play games like never before.

For buying used cars I recommend a smaller used car lot that has excellent reviews and specializes in clean low mileage cars.

I find that kind of dealer treats people most fairly, for used anyway.

Forget private sale, they want more than the car lots do. Lol
I see what you did there! Now see what you started!, @Bob04 Now everyone is gonna do it! LOL

Last edited by UltraLux22; 06-03-24 at 01:41 PM.
Margate330 (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 10:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,115 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Markups are like Stockholm Syndrome for consumers; they’re the ultimate gaslighting by our wallets! It’s the age-old story of paying extra for things we really don’t need. We spot the markup, protest it, surrender to it, grumble about it, complain to anyone within earshot, rationalize its necessity, curse how enticing it is, delude ourselves that we need it, lament one more time, feel guilt and regret, and finally realize we never needed it but secretly adore it!

What's the fun in that?
This is what you should see from the dealership before you even test drive the car:

Nothing more, nothing less
Old 06-03-24, 11:02 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 974 Likes on 777 Posts

I see what you did there! Now see what you started, Bob04! Now everyone is gonna do it! LOL

Only because when I'm typing on my cell phone, every line looks like a paragraph

​​​​yeah, yeah, excuses, excuses, lol ⛳