EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Study shows 46 Percent Of American EV Owners Want To Go Back To ICE

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-24, 04:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GRXFTW
Not even close. Unless you're buying a 200k mile BMW or 90's GM product, sure but other than that, not really...
Data I posted is just as good as yours.
Old 06-15-24, 04:58 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

Seems like a lot of caveats for somebody who wants an EV.

I'm sure EV's will become the dominant power train but we're nowhere near that happening. 30-40 years, I could see it happening.
Not really. It just saved typing out the extra conditions like the buyer's income being under certain limits etc, and also the assumption that the buyer has a federal tax liability at least equivalent to the credit. It's not that complex.
Old 06-15-24, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Not even close. Unless you're buying a 200k mile BMW or 90's GM product, sure but other than that, not really...
He's making a point. Both statements are ridiculous. No you wont be looking at a engine or transmission replacement, and no you won't be looking at a battery replacement.
Old 06-15-24, 05:05 PM
2GRXFTW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Not really. It just saved typing out the extra conditions like the buyer's income being under certain limits etc, and also the assumption that the buyer has a federal tax liability at least equivalent to the credit. It's not that complex.
Yeah, I don't know. I'm just used to fixed pricing, what's on the dealer website.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He's making a point. Both statements are ridiculous. No you wont be looking at a engine or transmission replacement, and no you won't be looking at a battery replacement.
If somebody bought a 2013 Model S that has 146k miles on the original battery, should they feel confident it can go another 100k?
Old 06-15-24, 05:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Yeah, I don't know. I'm just used to fixed pricing, what's on the dealer website.

If somebody bought a 2013 Model S that has 146k miles on the original battery, should they feel confident it can go another 100k?
Yeah. My boss has a 2017 Model X with 120k on it, and it had only lost 8 percent battery capacity in 7 years. A friend of mine bought a 2016 Model S, and as a precaution he took it to an independent Tesla repair shop who changed out some of the modules for $7500 with warranty. Bought it pretty cheap so he now has almost new car. That was two years ago

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-15-24 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-15-24, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I would feel just as confident it would go another 100k miles as I would feel confident an ICE car of that caliber would go another 100k without a major repair...which is modestly confident.

But yes there are EVs and hybrids out there with 500k miles on the original batteries.
Old 06-15-24, 05:12 PM
2GRXFTW
Driver

Hmm, I see a ton of 2013-2015 Model S's with <70k miles for around 20 grand. I've just always thought the battery in something that old was due for replacement automatically upon purchase.
Old 06-15-24, 05:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hmm, I see a ton of 2013-2015 Model S's with <70k miles for around 20 grand. I've just always thought the battery in something that old was due for replacement automatically upon purchase.
The first gen Model S's did have battery issues (and some other issues), but they would have been dealt with under warranty. If I was buying a Model S that old, I would check that all warranty work was done, as the early models did have issues. Be aware though that battery tech has evolved since then
Old 06-15-24, 05:31 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

My MIL's first Model X had that yellowing screen issue. But was otherwise great
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Unlike with ICE used market, where somebody could just throw 7 grand on a 14 year old Camry and be done with it, that wouldn't necessarily fly with an EV. You'd almost immediately be looking at battery replacement to go with that used purchase, adding a ton of money. Most don't like that idea.
in 2020 i wasn't interested in an ev yet, but someone i know did want to switch from their mint 2014.5 (yes toyota had a half year upgrade) camry with less than 20k mi. i bought it because the lease was coming to an end on my luxury car and i wasn't sure what i wanted next. i figured the camry was an ideal work 'beater'. it was in perfect shape and would probably have kept running pretty reliable for another decade, but i HATED it. i felt very guilty trading it in 5 months after i got it but it had to be. my biggest issue was it felt so basic and old limited tech.

a 6 year old tesla though, would have been great (presuming it was in decent shape which in 2020 was more hit and miss). main reason being tesla has continued to upgrade their cars through software and old ones were offered a whole computer upgrade, something traditional car makers never do.

There are a LOT of people who don't want to deal with the whole charging experience and would rather just find a gas station, which are everywhere, and call it a day.
the charging experience for MOST driving people do, is trivial if one can install a home charger. if not, an ev probably isn't the right choice.
AMIRZA786 (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 08:44 PM
2GRXFTW
Driver

You're an enthusiast though. A Camry or its equivalent may not be up to your (or most people on this forum for that matter) standard but it certainly works for most of this country.

The most power the average person would want is the V6 out of a Camry.

Most don't aspire to drive anything that cost over $50k brand new. That's just the way it is lol.

Any any rate, I'm happy to learn more about EV's. It seems there is a lot of misinformation out there, which prevents people from ever wanting one.

I can't afford a brand new one but a used one in the range of 20 grand, sure. Just needs to meet certain standards. No econobox size.
AMIRZA786 (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 08:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You're an enthusiast though. A Camry or its equivalent may not be up to your (or most people on this forum for that matter) standard but it certainly works for most of this country.

The most power the average person would want is the V6 out of a Camry.

Most don't aspire to drive anything that cost over $50k brand new. That's just the way it is lol.

Any any rate, I'm happy to learn more about EV's. It seems there is a lot of misinformation out there, which prevents people from ever wanting one.

I can't afford a brand new one but a used one in the range of 20 grand, sure. Just needs to meet certain standards. No econobox size.
You can definitely find a used Model 3 Long Range in that price range, it's really all the performance anyone would need.

BTW welcome to the EV chat subforum. Any questions you have, we'll be happy to answer
Old 06-15-24, 10:03 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Buying a used petrol car means you are almost immediately looking at an engine or transmission replacement.
How many engines and transmissions have your replaced in your 20+yr old Camrys?

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
First I want to start with your last statement, ICE vehicles are going to be around for a long, long time. That market is not going away, and there will be no ICE bans, not in our lifetimes. It is impossible to convert 100 million cars to EV's. Just no possible.

Secondly, it's already proven that EV battery packs can last 300k to 400k miles. A new EV has a 8 to 10 year warranty on battery packs, which takes the worry away from most buyers.

Thirdly, the used EV market is thriving. Due to Tesla price cuts, the cost of a used Tesla is cheap. And people are still buying older Model S, one guy has a thread going on a Model S he bought from an insurance auction. One of my friends picked up a used Model Y Performance to replace his BMW M5...for half the price of a new one.

Lastly, if you could charge at home, why would you conceivably want to go to a gas station?? LoL 🤣🤣. I own three EV's, if you count my daughters it's four, and we all charge at home. It costs us roughly $30 to $40 a month per car to fuel our cars, vs $70 or $80 a week if we had gas cars. The only time I ever charge on the road is when I travel to SoCal, and even that is easier than a gas station, and half the cost. the other 90 percent of the time I plug my car in at home. I have no desire in my life to ever go to a gas station again, unless it's to grab a drink or use the bathroom.

This is just my opinion, but EV's are a hundred times better than ICE. They drive better, are smoother, have more power, are more efficient, and need virtually no maint. My Model Y has costed me $60 in one year, and that was for tire rotations. My Polestar which is going on three years and 34,000 miles has only costed me a set of tires, and my Ioniq 5 has costed me ZERO. Well if you don't count windshield wiper fluid 🤣

EV's are going to sell themselves. Once people get past the anti EV BS and actually drive them, most like me will never go back. I would put money down on that
You would’ve lost that bet with me. I type this as my PHEV is charging. 😁 I just made a 337 mile one way roadtrip without stopping in 5hrs 55 min (apparently my family have strong bladders) in HV mode. One of my EV friends said on that “long of a drive” I should’ve stopped and taken a break? I said what am I supposed to do during that break, take a nap? Stopping would only make my drive longer especially if I don’t have to stop. My seat is adjusted so I can stretch my legs. My wife and kids slept over half of the drive.

I saved the EV range for driving around once reaching destination. Can someone help me understand this. I had 114 miles of HV range (I drove to dinner and depleted the EV range and dipped in HV range). Charged overnight to full EV battery so I drove somewhere today in EV mode. Car parked for 8hrs and I get back in my car and my HV is now showing 171 miles (114 miles when I parked it). Did someone throw some gas in my locked gas tank? EV range still showing same range when I parked. I drove back in EV mode.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
No what he did was post an article with a paid agenda. I come from 30 years of ICE, I'm 56 years old. I've driven everything from a Toyota Corolla to a Lambo Huracan, and I can say with 100 percent surety that EV's are better, IMO of course. I could never go back
Old 06-15-24, 10:16 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in 2020 i wasn't interested in an ev yet, but someone i know did want to switch from their mint 2014.5 (yes toyota had a half year upgrade) camry with less than 20k mi. i bought it because the lease was coming to an end on my luxury car and i wasn't sure what i wanted next. i figured the camry was an ideal work 'beater'. it was in perfect shape and would probably have kept running pretty reliable for another decade, but i HATED it. i felt very guilty trading it in 5 months after i got it but it had to be. my biggest issue was it felt so basic and old limited tech.

a 6 year old tesla though, would have been great (presuming it was in decent shape which in 2020 was more hit and miss). main reason being tesla has continued to upgrade their cars through software and old ones were offered a whole computer upgrade, something traditional car makers never do.

the charging experience for MOST driving people do, is trivial if one can install a home charger. if not, an ev probably isn't the right choice.
Per my friend, he wishes he bought a Model 3 the Ryzen computer. I believe he said those are 2022+. He bought a used 2021 with older computer and said he can tell the difference between the his 2021 Model 3 computer (don’t recall the name) and the Ryzen in his 2023 MYLR

Originally Posted by swajames
Give me a choice between two broadly comparable vehicles, one a high mileage used ICE car and the other a high mileage EV, and I'm taking the EV every time. So much less to go wrong, much more likely to still drive well, and I've got close to zero concerns about battery longevity on a modern EV. You can generally pull the SoH via the OBDII port and know exactly what you're getting in any event.
My neighbor IS 250 needs a new engine because he drove it through water and it died. A replacement engine is around $1,000 on eBay. I’ve seen some engines with as low as “65k miles”. I told him I’m interested in buying the car from him as is. The body has 205k miles. I think I can come off cheaper going this route then buying a used EV.

Does anyone own a brand new $35k EV?
Old 06-15-24, 10:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
How many engines and transmissions have your replaced in your 20+yr old Camrys?

You would’ve lost that bet with me. I type this as my PHEV is charging. 😁 I just made a 337 mile one way roadtrip without stopping in 5hrs 55 min (apparently my family have strong bladders) in HV mode. One of my EV friends said on that “long of a drive” I should’ve stopped and taken a break? I said what am I supposed to do during that break, take a nap? Stopping would only make my drive longer especially if I don’t have to stop. My seat is adjusted so I can stretch my legs. My wife and kids slept over half of the drive.

I saved the EV range for driving around once reaching destination. Can someone help me understand this. I had 114 miles of HV range (I drove to dinner and depleted the EV range and dipped in HV range). Charged overnight to full EV battery so I drove somewhere today in EV mode. Car parked for 8hrs and I get back in my car and my HV is now showing 171 miles (114 miles when I parked it). Did someone throw some gas in my locked gas tank? EV range still showing same range when I parked. I drove back in EV mode.
I used the word "most", because apparently there are people who like to drive 5 hours straight 🤣. Lemme see, what would I do with the 10 or 12 minutes I need to charge about 10 percent of the time...I dunno, take a pee? Stretch my legs? 🤣🤣🤣

Quick Reply: Study shows 46 Percent Of American EV Owners Want To Go Back To ICE