EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Study shows 46 Percent Of American EV Owners Want To Go Back To ICE

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-24, 10:36 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I used the word "most", because apparently there are people who like to drive 5 hours straight 🤣. Lemme see, what would I do with the 10 or 12 minutes I need to charge about 10 percent of the time...I dunno, take a pee? Stretch my legs? 🤣🤣🤣
🤣 I must have a super bladder. I left hotel at 10am. Didn’t have to take a leak again until after 6pm getting back to the hotel. All of my seats I adjust to where I can fully stretch my left leg on the dead pedal (and fully engage the clutch).

But I totally get throwing it on the charger if you have to stop for a restroom break. Today I threw my car on charger for 30 min just to hop right back in it. It’s a “well I’m parked and I could top it off” kind of thing I guess although didn’t have time to top it off.

But if I stop for a restroom break and I don’t need gas, I’m not parking at the pump. Doesn’t make sense compared to what I said above but yeah I know

I guess if I don’t have to spend the money right then, I’m not.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 10:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
🤣 I must have a super bladder. I left hotel at 10am. Didn’t have to take a leak again until after 6pm getting back to the hotel. All of my seats I adjust to where I can fully stretch my left leg on the dead pedal (and fully engage the clutch).

But I totally get throwing it on the charger if you have to stop for a restroom break. Today I threw my car on charger for 30 min just to hop right back in it. It’s a “well I’m parked and I could top it off” kind of thing I guess although didn’t have time to top it off.

But if I stop for a restroom break and I don’t need gas, I’m not parking at the pump. Doesn’t make sense compared to what I said above but yeah I know

I guess if I don’t have to spend the money right then, I’m not.
You definitely have a super bladder, or you don't drink enough water. I have to go every two to three hours. Even when I travelled with our gas cars, I always made two stops...one for bathroom and stretching my legs, a second one two hours out from my destination for gas and bathroom.

Like I've always said to you in other posts, no need to rush out and buy an EV, that's not the message I'm trying to convey. Although I do always say EV's are better than ICE, I'm not telling people to dump their current cars and run out and buy an EV. I might drive a BMW M3 and my friend may drive a Corolla, the M3 is better in many ways than the Corolla, but it doesn't mean you should dump your Corolla and buy an M3. If that makes sense
BayeauxLex (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 03:13 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Buying a used petrol car means you are almost immediately looking at an engine or transmission replacement.
But you won't be looking at a $20k gas tank replacement.

Old 06-16-24, 04:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the i7 is huge because it's a big compromise to make it also the 760 platform.
comparing:

e38:

Wheelbase LWB: 3,070 mm (120.9 in)
Length LWB: 5,124 mm (201.7 in)
Width 1,862 mm (73.3 in)
Height 1,425–1,435 mm (56.1–56.5 in)
Curb weight 1,710–2,085 kg (3,770–4,597 lb)

i7:

Wheelbase 3,215 mm (126.6 in)
Length 5,391 mm (212.2 in)
Width 1,950 mm (76.8 in)
Height 1,544 mm (60.8 in)
Kerb weight 2,595–2,770 kg (5,721–6,107 lb)
That's everything though. My G80 M3 is the same length and height as the E39 M5, but 4 inches wider. Park a 1990s Crolla next to a current one, or an OBS Chevy C/K pickup next to a modern Silverado.
Old 06-16-24, 04:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

🤣 I must have a super bladder. I left hotel at 10am. Didn’t have to take a leak again until after 6pm getting back to the hotel.
This is definitely not healthy, your kidneys need to flow more than that to get impurities and waste products out of your blood. Literally the only time this has ever happened to me was when I was in my 20s and playing paintball all day in 90+ degree heat. I was pounding water between every game and never had to pee.
AMIRZA786 (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 05:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,704 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I used to have a really strong bladder and could do 5-6 hours in a car without stopping no problem. Now I need to stop once maybe twice even.

335 miles in 5:55? That’s a long time. I do about that mileage going to WV in 4:45. So I could stop and charge for 25 min and still have beaten you there by another 45 min. You’re going to say I drive faster than you and you don’t want to drive that fast. Well, it’s all time…so you are willing to take an hour longer to get somewhere than me because of the speed you drive but not willing to stop somewhere for 25 minutes…doesn’t make a lot of sense.

That 25 min stop is the trade off for having the smooth and incredibly satisfying EV powertrain and never having to think about refueling all the other days of the year im not traveling. Thats not a big deal at all IMO. As long as there are plenty of options where to stop I have no issue stopping for 25 min to charge. I can pee, get some food, answer some emails. No big deal. Would I rather not stop for 25 min? Yes. Life is about tradeoffs though.

The concern about charging on a trip is all about having plenty of choices to me. 1-2 choices along a whole 340 mile trip isn’t enough choices. I want like 10. For me that Tesla network opening for cars I want is key. That takes my choices going to EV from 2 to 9. That should happen in early 2025 but I am nervous about committing to an EV before I see that with my own eyes because I don’t trust Tesla.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-16-24 at 05:46 AM.
AMIRZA786 (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 06:32 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

He will still have his 5:55 that he drives at a speed comfortable for him PLUS the extra time charging. What doesn't make sense is you comparing his trip with your trip at a higher speed.

Old 06-16-24, 06:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,704 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
He will still have his 5:55 that he drives at a speed comfortable for him PLUS the extra time charging. What doesn't make sense is you comparing his trip with your trip at a higher speed.
Because its all about time. He chooses to drive slower and the additional time that takes him doesn't bother him, but stopping to charge is a huge inconvenience. That doesn't jibe...if getting there quickly was of such huge importance he wouldn't have averaged 56MPH. Its fine to say you just don't want to stop and charge, thats totally legitimate but its not some arduous process that would have made his trip awful. He could have averaged 4 MPH more and stopped to charge and gotten there in the same amount of time. He could have sat in his car and not gone in and his family could have stayed sleeping and the same amount of time spent in a car seat would have been spent in a car seat.

This is just a mental hangup that people need to reconcile if they want an EV and want to be able to drive it on trips, in reality its not that big a deal if the charging infrastructure is there. He clearly doesn't want an EV, but to say he couldn't have made his trip just as quickly in an EV is just completely untrue. For me it will cost me time because I am already averaging 75-80, going faster would mean less efficiency and would be highly illegal.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-16-24 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-16-24, 07:05 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Telling someone they can get somewhere faster if they just drive faster really isn't news.
Old 06-16-24, 07:30 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

And driving faster is more convenient in an ICE vehicle too. Bump the speed up to 75 or 80 in an EV and see what happens. Absolutely tanks your range. Less of an issue for ICE cars because they have the extra range to handle any loss of efficiency. And it only takes 5 minutes to get all that range back.
Old 06-16-24, 08:16 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by geko29
This is definitely not healthy, your kidneys need to flow more than that to get impurities and waste products out of your blood. Literally the only time this has ever happened to me was when I was in my 20s and playing paintball all day in 90+ degree heat. I was pounding water between every game and never had to pee.
I drink water. I just don’t drink and drive on road trips. I’ll sip here and there. I’ll maybe have a small snack. But I look forward to that once I arrive at a local restaurant.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I used to have a really strong bladder and could do 5-6 hours in a car without stopping no problem. Now I need to stop once maybe twice even.

335 miles in 5:55? That’s a long time. I do about that mileage going to WV in 4:45. So I could stop and charge for 25 min and still have beaten you there by another 45 min. You’re going to say I drive faster than you and you don’t want to drive that fast. Well, it’s all time…so you are willing to take an hour longer to get somewhere than me because of the speed you drive but not willing to stop somewhere for 25 minutes…doesn’t make a lot of sense.

That 25 min stop is the trade off for having the smooth and incredibly satisfying EV powertrain and never having to think about refueling all the other days of the year im not traveling. Thats not a big deal at all IMO. As long as there are plenty of options where to stop I have no issue stopping for 25 min to charge. I can pee, get some food, answer some emails. No big deal. Would I rather not stop for 25 min? Yes. Life is about tradeoffs though.

The concern about charging on a trip is all about having plenty of choices to me. 1-2 choices along a whole 340 mile trip isn’t enough choices. I want like 10. For me that Tesla network opening for cars I want is key. That takes my choices going to EV from 2 to 9. That should happen in early 2025 but I am nervous about committing to an EV before I see that with my own eyes because I don’t trust Tesla.
5hrs 55 min is literally me leaving my garage to the hotel and idling while my wife checked in. So my speed varied between 25mph to 90ish on a few passes. There’s 2-3 small towns the speed dropped to 25mph and I had to stop for several red lights. I carried 6-12mph over speed limit depending on my surroundings and how far I can see. Trust me I wasn’t running no 65-70mph trying to get fuel mileage. Matter of fact I averaged 2mpg under what I’m supposed to.

After always driving in EV mode which has only 176hp but it’s instant to having 302 hp in HV and it’s still instant, I definitely welcomed the extra hp on the road trips. I drive in sport mode 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because its all about time. He chooses to drive slower and the additional time that takes him doesn't bother him, but stopping to charge is a huge inconvenience. That doesn't jibe...if getting there quickly was of such huge importance he wouldn't have averaged 56MPH. Its fine to say you just don't want to stop and charge, thats totally legitimate but its not some arduous process that would have made his trip awful. He could have averaged 4 MPH more and stopped to charge and gotten there in the same amount of time. He could have sat in his car and not gone in and his family could have stayed sleeping and the same amount of time spent in a car seat would have been spent in a car seat.

This is just a mental hangup that people need to reconcile if they want an EV and want to be able to drive it on trips, in reality its not that big a deal if the charging infrastructure is there. He clearly doesn't want an EV, but to say he couldn't have made his trip just as quickly in an EV is just completely untrue. For me it will cost me time because I am already averaging 75-80, going faster would mean less efficiency and would be highly illegal.
Speed limit 75mph I ran 82. Speed limit 70 I ran 76-77. Speed limit 60 I ran 66-72 depending on how far I could see up ahead until speed limit jumped back up. Speed limits 25-45 I ran 5-6 over until I got out of those small towns. This is majority backroads with some spotty cell phone coverage here and there driving. A lot of 2 lane driving. Until I got to the city is where I saw 4 lane highway.

Telling someone they can get somewhere faster if they just drive faster really isn't news.
And driving faster is more convenient in an ICE vehicle too. Bump the speed up to 75 or 80 in an EV and see what happens. Absolutely tanks your range. Less of an issue for ICE cars because they have the extra range to handle any loss of efficiency. And it only takes 5 minutes to get all that range back.
Exactly. I know exactly what higher speeds in an EV does. As I’ve stated before, 2 vehicles I always pass on roadtrips, 18 wheelers and EVs even if I’m towing. 😏🙃
Old 06-16-24, 09:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

When I travel to SoCal, which is 390 miles one way, my average speed is 80 mph (posted is between 65 and 70), and I make two stops, one is usually 12 minutes for the first stop, and 20 minutes for the second. It would be two stops regardless if I drove 65 or 80. Yes I lose some efficiency at higher speeds, but who cares. It costs about maybe $3 more going 80 mph. And it's easier than fueling at a gas station because all I do is back in, plug in and head to the head

I fully understand that people may not want to adjust to this slight change, and Im not telling anyone to switch, it's an individual choice. All I can convey is my personal experiences, and even with this slight inconvenience, I can never go back to a traditional car, unless it's say a weekend type car
BayeauxLex (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 09:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I drink water. I just don’t drink and drive on road trips. I’ll sip here and there. I’ll maybe have a small snack. But I look forward to that once I arrive at a local restaurant.

5hrs 55 min is literally me leaving my garage to the hotel and idling while my wife checked in. So my speed varied between 25mph to 90ish on a few passes. There’s 2-3 small towns the speed dropped to 25mph and I had to stop for several red lights. I carried 6-12mph over speed limit depending on my surroundings and how far I can see. Trust me I wasn’t running no 65-70mph trying to get fuel mileage. Matter of fact I averaged 2mpg under what I’m supposed to.

After always driving in EV mode which has only 176hp but it’s instant to having 302 hp in HV and it’s still instant, I definitely welcomed the extra hp on the road trips. I drive in sport mode 100% of the time.

Speed limit 75mph I ran 82. Speed limit 70 I ran 76-77. Speed limit 60 I ran 66-72 depending on how far I could see up ahead until speed limit jumped back up. Speed limits 25-45 I ran 5-6 over until I got out of those small towns. This is majority backroads with some spotty cell phone coverage here and there driving. A lot of 2 lane driving. Until I got to the city is where I saw 4 lane highway.

Exactly. I know exactly what higher speeds in an EV does. As I’ve stated before, 2 vehicles I always pass on roadtrips, 18 wheelers and EVs even if I’m towing. 😏🙃
You would never pass me . Before you get into SoCal you have to go through this mountain pass that has a steep climb to 4000 ft, (Grapevine) I maintain 80 mph without sweating. Even some of the faster cars have to go hard to maintain speed. Anything 400 HP and below have to floor it just to keep up
Old 06-16-24, 10:15 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You would never pass me . Before you get into SoCal you have to go through this mountain pass that has a steep climb to 4000 ft, (Grapevine) I maintain 80 mph without sweating. Even some of the faster cars have to go hard to maintain speed. Anything 400 HP and below have to floor it just to keep up
Whether I’m in the Prius, PHEV, or towing with my enclosed trailer with car inside I will pass you and others..eventually🤣🤣🤣 while you stop
to charge.

But I’m not going to drive 80mph in a 45mph or 55mph or lower. If I post the speeds my buddies and I tow at, everyone here would sell their cars for a private 🛫🛩️

I have a screenshot of me averaging 46.7mpg at 78mph in the Prius. I was trying to keep the average speed at 80mph. Of course I had to exceed 80 to try to increase the average

Road trips are like a video game to me.
Old 06-16-24, 10:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Whether I’m in the Prius, PHEV, or towing with my enclosed trailer with car inside I will pass you and others..eventually🤣🤣🤣 while you stop
to charge.

But I’m not going to drive 80mph in a 45mph or 55mph or lower. If I post the speeds my buddies and I tow at, everyone here would sell their cars for a private 🛫🛩️

I have a screenshot of me averaging 46.7mpg at 78mph in the Prius. I was trying to keep the average speed at 80mph. Of course I had to exceed 80 to try to increase the average

Road trips are like a video game to me.
Well if you're not making any stops, than yes, I concede to that. I still wouldn't want to go on a trip in Prius

My worst trip was in a Mustang GT with a 6 speed transmission I rented on Turo, my son who was 12 at the time wanted me to get a mustang. When I got into SoCal I hit traffic, and for the next two and a half hours I was going from first gear to second. I got into third only a couple of times. My legs were killing me. Than a friend told me I should have just stayed in second gear, as it has so much power I didn't need first while in traffic. I'm so over manuals, even the nostalgia of them doesn't tempt me
BayeauxLex (06-16-24)

Quick Reply: Study shows 46 Percent Of American EV Owners Want To Go Back To ICE