EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Fisker Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-24, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Fisker Files for Bankruptcy

EV automaker Fisker filed for bankruptcy this week. While this does not necessarily mean that the future of EV vehicles in the U.S. is in any immediate jeopardy, it is definitely not a good sign.

As I see it, although the article doesn't specifically mention it, it also begs the question if we will see a government bailout, like we did with GM and Chrysler 15 years ago.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiske...190845869.html

Fisker heads toward liquidation as creditors fight over assets

By Dietrich Knauth

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Electric vehicle startup Fisker is headed towards a liquidation, attorneys said in U.S. bankruptcy court on Friday, as two creditor factions previewed a battle over which group will be paid first.

Fisker filed for bankruptcy protection in Delaware on Monday after burning through cash in an attempt to ramp up production of its Ocean SUVs. The company initially said it would seek additional financing and continue "reduced operations," but Fisker's attorney Brian Resnick said at the hearing in Wilmington the company does "not currently anticipate being able to obtain financing."

Resnick told U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Thomas Horan that the company planned to liquidate its assets, and it has reached a tentative deal with a single buyer for all of its 4,300 vehicles.

The California-based company, founded by automotive designer Henrik Fisker, was never profitable, with about $273 million in revenue in 2023 and a net loss of $940 million.

Fisker owes over $850 million to two groups of bondholders, and attorneys for the larger group accused a minority faction led by Heights Capital Management of seizing control of Fisker's debt in November through a "suspect" transaction with Fisker.

At the time, Fisker was late in providing audited financial statements due under its debt agreements, and Heights used that "minor, technical default" to claim all of Fisker's assets as collateral on its bonds, Alex Lees, an attorney for other bondholders, said.

"They basically handed the whole business over to Heights," Lees told Horan. "Fisker has been liquidating outside of this court's supervision, basically for one creditor's sole benefit."

Lees said that Fisker should have filed for bankruptcy in November. His group intends to challenge the November agreement that put Heights at the front of the line for repayment in Fisker's bankruptcy, Lees said.

Heights' attorney Scott Greissman said Lees' claim was "outrageous" and that Heights tried to help Fisker survive.

"There may be a lot of disappointed creditors, but none more than Heights," Greissman said.

Greissman said the expected sale of Fisker's fleet would pay only a "fraction" of Heights' $185 million in debt. That would leave little hope of repayment for other creditors.

Linda Richenderfer, an attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice's bankruptcy watchdog, said Heights appeared to hold all the leverage, making it likely that Fisker's bankruptcy would convert to a straightforward Chapter 7 liquidation once the vehicle fleet is sold.

Heights "is getting everything it wants," Richenderfer said. "It has no reason next week to agree to anything more."

Fisker's fate was sealed in March, when it failed to reach a partnership with a large vehicle manufacturer – which Reuters has reported to be Nissan. Before that failed, Fisker paused production and laid off staff to conserve cash, Resnick said.

The hyper-competitive EV market has seen several companies, including Proterra, Lordstown and Electric Last Mile Solutions, file for bankruptcy in the past two years as they grappled with weakening demand, fundraising hurdles and operational challenges from global supply chain issues.

(Reporting by Dietrich Knauth, Editing by Alexia Garamfalvi and Cynthia Osterman)

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (06-21-24)
Old 06-21-24, 06:19 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ev-...l#post11742112
AMIRZA786 (06-22-24)
Old 06-21-24, 06:30 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Wait, what? I didn't see anything about this breaking news on MySpace!
The following 3 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (06-22-24), bowser (06-21-24), Margate330 (06-21-24)
Old 06-21-24, 06:49 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I haven't used myspace in weeks. Lol

Hey y'all some of us aren't up to that latest news, thank you@mmarshall .

I'm still sad for Fisker, it's not like they weren't trying.
mmarshall (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 05:53 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
EV automaker Fisker filed for bankruptcy this week. While this does not necessarily mean that the future of EV vehicles in the U.S. is in any immediate jeopardy, it is definitely not a good sign.

As I see it, although the article doesn't specifically mention it, it also begs the question if we will see a government bailout, like we did with GM and Chrysler 15 years ago.
They were a long shot to make it in the first place, I would say the competitive EV market certainly contributed, but Fisker couldn't make it a decade ago either. I liked the look of the Ocean much more than the Karma, it's a shame they couldn't make it. It seems like the common theme with both his companies was getting the software baked enough before putting out the car and lining up enough funding to get over the initial manufacturing hump.

​​​​​No chance of a bail out, a small startup doesn't have the footprint or national political clout to pull that off.
Old 06-22-24, 03:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I haven't been able to log into MySpace for some time now. Do you know what's wrong? 🤣
Old 06-22-24, 03:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I haven't been able to log into MySpace for some time now. Do you know what's wrong? 🤣
Try here
https://myspace.com/signin
Margate330 (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 03:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Oh, no wonder. I don't have a Myspace account. Duh 🤣🤣
Old 06-22-24, 04:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Really?
I had no idea they still existed for last 10 years.
Thought they went obsolete bye bye.