EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Ford backing away from EV commitment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-24, 11:29 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

"Wait till the big boys get in..." Wasn't it supposed to be easy?
I give CEO Farley and his team big credit for doing what they believe is right for the company and its shareholders. Progress is never a straight line. Change is difficult. Ford (and GM) bread-and-butter is pickups. At this point in time, I do not see the viability of an electric pickup, especially at $100K or whatever it is. For any company.

I wish Ford success in their endeavors. They have a way to go, as do all the legacy car companies. Developing and making ICE, Hybrid and EV vehicles allows for overlap but does not allow for a singleness of product. That's putting your eggs in a lotta baskets.

At least Ford has the huevos to break out their ICE vs EV financials. Seems others have something to hide?
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
LeX2K (08-22-24), swajames (08-22-24)
Old 08-22-24, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh really...

GM says union labor deals will increase costs by $9.3 billion

....and you believe that? Companies doctor all kinds of figures to try and sell their stories to the public. They can be almost a dishonest as the government LOL.
Old 08-22-24, 12:28 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....and you believe that? Companies doctor all kinds of figures to try and sell their stories to the public. They can be almost a dishonest as the government LOL.
I do. Do you think it costs nothing to give every employee a 27% raise, a $5,000 bonus, 10% 401k contribution (with no EE contribution requirement), and all the other things in the contract? And then increase starting wages by 70%, such that day 1 employees now make just $2/hr less than the top rate from the prior contract? There's a reason these contract battles are fought. That stuff costs REAL money.
Old 08-22-24, 12:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

I wouldn't be pointing fingers at GM when this type of thing keeps happening.
https://thehill.com/business/4763776...nt-fain-probe/

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
"Wait till the big boys get in..." Wasn't it supposed to be easy?
Yes it was.
I give CEO Farley and his team big credit for doing what they believe is right for the company and its shareholders. Progress is never a straight line. Change is difficult. Ford (and GM) bread-and-butter is pickups. At this point in time, I do not see the viability of an electric pickup, especially at $100K or whatever it is. For any company.
I thought Farley was doing the right thing now I don't, he's back peddling and delaying Ford's EV plans. It's not going to get any easier take the hit now or take a harder hit later.
I wish Ford success in their endeavors. They have a way to go, as do all the legacy car companies. Developing and making ICE, Hybrid and EV vehicles allows for overlap but does not allow for a singleness of product. That's putting your eggs in a lotta baskets.
Ford went for the quick fix, F-150 because it's their bread and butter and use the Mustang name. Neither helped bring down costs.
At least Ford has the huevos to break out their ICE vs EV financials.
True and I'm still surprised by this.
Old 08-22-24, 12:38 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Do you all think Ford could save money by making a Mustang that can be either ice or ev?

One platform and two drive line options?
Old 08-22-24, 12:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Do you all think Ford could save money by making a Mustang that can be either ice or ev?

One platform and two drive line options?
Clean sheet or this is the result.

Old 08-22-24, 02:08 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 727 Likes on 455 Posts

And yet my Lightning has an absolutely massive frunk, much bigger than the frunk on the Cybertruck, that’s genuinely usable and as an added bonus it won’t chop your finger off when you close it.

Last edited by swajames; 08-22-24 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hameed (09-08-24)
Old 08-22-24, 02:15 PM
swajames
Pole Position

One of these is not at all like the other.

Old 08-22-24, 05:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

F-150 Lightning and Cybertruck are not enemies.
Old 08-22-24, 07:18 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I just wanted to reflect on what a terribly sad statement this is.
I know a guy who daily’s a Chevy Spark and drives a 5th gen Viper on the weekend.
Old 08-23-24, 12:54 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
F-150 Lightning and Cybertruck are not enemies.
Oh I don't disagree, but in comparing one approach against the other with two "what's behind the frunk" pics you were implying that the outcome of the non-clean sheet design was inferior, when in fact the Ford approach has resulted in a much better outcome for the customer because the frunk capacity and usability is significantly better on the Lightning than it is on the Cybertruck.
Old 08-23-24, 01:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Oh I don't disagree, but in comparing one approach against the other with two "what's behind the frunk" pics you were implying that the outcome of the non-clean sheet design was inferior, when in fact the Ford approach has resulted in a much better outcome for the customer because the frunk capacity and usability is significantly better on the Lightning than it is on the Cybertruck.
On this point, the cybertruck may be better engineered than the Lightning, better constructed etc., but if you gave me a choice of which one I wanted, it would be the Lightning by a mile based on looks. And now that the Tesla Superchargers are open to Ford, well, I would take the Lightning. That's not to say the Cybertruck is not a great truck, it's been proven to me already that it's an awesome truck, I just can't get past the stainless steel panels, the shape and looks
swajames (08-23-24)
Old 08-23-24, 01:06 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
On this point, the cybertruck may be better engineered than the Lightning, better constructed etc., but if you gave me a choice of which one I wanted, it would be the Lightning by a mile based on looks. And now that the Tesla Superchargers are open to Ford, well, I would take the Lightning. That's not to say the Cybertruck is not a great truck, it's been proven to me already that it's an awesome truck, I just can't get past the stainless steel panels, the shape and looks
Purely a personal view, but I think the Cybertruck is a better EV than the Lighting, and the Lightning a better electric truck than the Cybertruck.

I'm not sure about the Cybertruck being better constructed though. Lightnings aren't falling apart on videos.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (08-23-24), LexTess (08-26-24)
Old 08-23-24, 01:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Purely a personal view, but I think the Cybertruck is a better EV than the Lighting, and the Lightning a better electric truck than the Cybertruck.

I'm not sure about the Cybertruck being better constructed though. Lightnings aren't falling apart on videos.
To be fair to the Cybertruck, nobody is throwing the Lightnings off of truck beds, pipes and large drops 🤣

I guess I said that wrong. The Cybertruck has 48v architecture, rear steering, steer by wire, and can probably withstand more abuse like people kicking it, throwing stuff at it, or shopping carts hitting it. The impact has to be really hard to even scratch those panels
swajames (08-23-24)
Old 08-24-24, 07:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

... the Ford approach has resulted in a much better outcome for the customer because the frunk capacity and usability is significantly better on the Lightning than it is on the Cybertruck.
that's because the lightning is based off the ice shape/design but no longer has a honking great ice engine up front so of course the frunk should be bigger than CT. CT has the super short front overhang. like amirza though i think the ct is fugly (but mechanically / electrically awesome).
AMIRZA786 (08-24-24)

Quick Reply: Ford backing away from EV commitment.