EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's impressive because it's quiet driving at what, 30mph?
I like the look of it inside and out. Materials inside seem good, much better than Tesla. Impossible to say about quietness since it’s driving so slow.
Old 05-26-21, 07:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

this lucid isn't bad it seems but i wouldn't call it 'stunning'. oh and it looks like it has some wood in it.
I wouldn’t call it stunning either. The interior design where the drivers screens are a little meh, kinda fee.ing Taycan which is out already. EQS is over the top and Cadillac seems to beat them too. I like the roof glass display…hopefully you can block out the sun completely. Exterior is also meh…maybe it’s just the color. Not enough emotional appeal on the exterior

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-26-21 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-26-21, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally think this car is WAY more compelling than the EQS. This is the first EV I’ve seen I could actually see myself in.

Been watching videos on it for the last hour or so, I really like it. Benchmarking they say it’s quieter than the S Class too.
Old 05-26-21, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

about the huge glass roofs on many of these cars... i just don't like or want them. i don't like all that sunlight coming in, and i certainly don't need the heat coming in.
Old 05-27-21, 04:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

about the huge glass roofs on many of these cars... i just don't like or want them. i don't like all that sunlight coming in, and i certainly don't need the heat coming in.
That is one of the cool features in this car IMO. I've had a few hours seat time in a Model X and by far that is it's only great feature - the wide open to the skies feeling - the car feels like it has no roof - visibility is simply off the charts.
Old 05-27-21, 04:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the glass is cool....but if you can't shade the sun...then There are a few Mercedes cars that do this...where the sun always permeates somehow (Toyota gets it right in their Venza as they still include a sunshade for their trick roof)....All of my cars have sunroofs but with a shade as well...I like the shade open during overcast days but I hate the sun beaming in on sunny days.
Old 05-27-21, 04:47 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 I hate glass roofs
Old 05-27-21, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a cool feature, but I would want to be able to have it dim or go opaque or something like that. I like having the panoramic roofs open on my cars, but I also close them all the time, when parked or when the sun is bothering me or others in the car.
Old 05-27-21, 08:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 383 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It seems like its a very nice car. This is a test drive video from Kyle who has tested every EV you can imagine. The car seems extremely powerful.

https://youtu.be/SYK57Mdc4BI
Funny, I think I saw these guys driving this while I was test driving the LC500 at Amelia Island. I'll say for me, the exterior styling of the Lucid didn't do as much for me in-person as I was hoping based on seeing vids and pictures. It did look better in motion than it does just being parked. The interior is very nice though - definitely higher quality feel than a Model S and it feels very "California modern" if that makes sense. It's nice without being minimalist. Keep in mind the model being driven in the above video is around $165k - that's all they had at the show. For me, I'd be shopping in the 2nd or 3rd tier model which is somewhere between $80k-$120k. I would definitely drive it to compare against other things like the ETron GT - this price range around $100k is going to have a lot of competition and good options. On the Air, you can't get a glass roof on the lowest model - that's only available on the one above that. As to be expected, the range and HP changes as you go up and down the various lines, but the Lucid rep said the interior fit and finish does not change (other than availability of glass roof) between the tiers. Below are my Lucid notes from my other post in Car Chat about attending Amelia Island's Concourse d'Elegance.

Lucid Air: This had the most buzz of anything I experienced walking around the grounds. Tons of people at their display, lots of passersby talking about Lucid all around the grounds. I don't personally like the look of it as much as I thought I would - although I saw a couple of them driving around and it looks better in motion than it does just sitting. The interior is pretty cool - very modern California feeling. They even name their interior color combos on places in California like Tahoe, Mojave, Santa Monica, etc. The front seats are always darker than the back seats - they say this helps create a feeling of being more "open and airy" in the back with the lighter seats. They had the "Tahoe" combination on display which had very dark front seats (almost black) and a deep brown/baseball glove color in the back seats. These will range in price (across 4 models) from about $70k to $170k if I remember correctly.
I heard a few Model S owners ask Lucid for the differences - they were being complimentary of Tesla but also pointing out “the Model S is still using effectively the same technology from 12 years ago”. There is something about the rear aspect of the Lucid that I don't like - it reminds me of an older Lincoln or something. It just feels off for what is otherwise a futuristic feeling car and experience (their booth was beautiful).
Old 05-27-21, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
That is one of the cool features in this car IMO. I've had a few hours seat time in a Model X and by far that is it's only great feature - the wide open to the skies feeling - the car feels like it has no roof - visibility is simply off the charts.
maybe the lucid does allow the roof to be made opaque electronically, i don't know. also, you don't live in a hot place, so i can see why it would be more appealing there.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
The interior is pretty cool - very modern California feeling.

what does that mean?

in the video the backs of the front seats looked like some kind of cheesy canvas.

about the car's looks, i agree it looks like something lincoln would offer.
Old 05-27-21, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think that material looks cool, I like the idea of different materials
Old 05-27-21, 09:16 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 383 Likes on 262 Posts

what does that mean?

It's hard to explain - the finish of the materials is very different than anything I've seen before and the way they're combined in both the colors offered and and how/where they're laid out contrasting against the other materials just gives off a certain modern California vibe to me. It's one of those things where if they removed all badging and sat me inside the car and asked me where the design influence came from I'd say CA. Again, hard to explain but it was very clear to me.
Old 05-27-21, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i just don't know what you mean by "modern california". perhaps it's because apple is based there i don't know.
i was recently in a brand new home in palm springs and it was all straight edges everywhere, flat roof, shades of gray and white everywhere, and of course the "landscaping"

Old 07-28-21, 12:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts
Default Lucid Motors - Fraud or the Future

I personally own Lucid stock, a fair bit of it in fact it's my yolo investment I'm prepared to lose some if not all of it. As Tesla found out making prototypes is relatively easy making cars en masse is extremely difficult. On the surface Lucid has all their ducks in a row, a smart CEO (former Tesla guy), a legit factory, a whole bunch of employees (good or bad?) and they appear to have the technology. But their claims of 500+ mile range, over 1000hp, best aerodynamics etc. teeter on the being too good to be true. Lucid claims mass (albeit low) production this year 577 vehicles total. Essentially CEO/CTO Peter Rawlinson claims they have Tesla beat on every metric. Lucid currently has 11,000 reservations for the Air.

So what do you think? Will Lucid deliver on their promise? Am I crazy to own Lucid shares? Or will they follow Lordstown and Nikola and end being masters of vaporware.
Here is a bear case for Lucid , I didn't find much in the way of bull cases outside of mostly speculation. Lucid has currently sold zero vehicles, dream edition of the Air will be first to (apparently) hit the market at $169,000.
Old 07-28-21, 01:11 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

I also bought some Lucid stock. They will likely be a niche player at the higher-end of the market for the foreseeable future but there's plenty of business there. I don't see Lucid making inroads into the mass-market, but they do seem to be set up for success. Time will tell. They might not deliver market returns like those we've seen from Tesla over the last few years, but there is potential for gain here.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air