EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 01:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

They seem to address the luxury aspect that Tesla lacks but my main fear is that it doesn't have the brand power to compete. It sure does look like they have very very nice cars though.
Old 07-28-21, 01:21 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I personally own Lucid stock, a fair bit of it in fact it's my yolo investment I'm prepared to lose some if not all of it. As Tesla found out making prototypes is relatively easy making cars en masse is extremely difficult. On the surface Lucid has all their ducks in a row, a smart CEO (former Tesla guy), a legit factory, a whole bunch of employees (good or bad?) and they appear to have the technology. But their claims of 500+ mile range, over 1000hp, best aerodynamics etc. teeter on the being too good to be true. Lucid claims mass (albeit low) production this year 577 vehicles total. Essentially CEO/CTO Peter Rawlinson claims they have Tesla beat on every metric. Lucid currently has 11,000 reservations for the Air.

So what do you think? Will Lucid deliver on their promise? Am I crazy to own Lucid shares? Or will they follow Lordstown and Nikola and end being masters of vaporware.
Here is a bear case for Lucid , I didn't find much in the way of bull cases outside of mostly speculation. Lucid has currently sold zero vehicles, dream edition of the Air will be first to (apparently) hit the market at $169,000.
On paper, I agree, it all seems too good to be true - the specs, the so called "miniaturization" of all their components (Peter Rawlinson expounds on this in one of their videos) etc. I sure hope it's not just vaporware. The big sedan EV market needs more competition.

I don't own any Lucid stock, but have Tesla stock and even though I don't own a lot of it, it has yielded pretty good returns so far.

Let's see how Lucid fares in this cut-throat business!

Last edited by Hameed; 07-28-21 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-28-21, 01:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
They seem to address the luxury aspect that Tesla lacks but my main fear is that it doesn't have the brand power to compete. It sure does look like they have very very nice cars though.
How did the Tesla brand grow to be what it is? I've never really thought a lot about that, is it Elon? I think Lucid has strong branding in the name (simple and memorable) for sure so if their cars are great they will sell themselves. Rawlinson is being very smart in one way he constantly compares his company to Tesla and says Tesla is the market leader, essentially piggy backing his brand on Tesla. That gets people talking, but of course if the cars end up being substandard that will come back to bite in a big way.

I've said it before I give Lucid a 50% chance of succeeding I really hope they do. Who here that said they saw a Lucid in New York, and were not impressed? Sorry I can't remember who that was apologies.
Originally Posted by Hameed
On paper, I agree, it all seems too good to be true - the specs, the so called "miniaturization" of all their components
That set off alarms for me.
Old 07-28-21, 01:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

How did the Tesla brand grow to be what it is? I've never really thought a lot about that, is it Elon? I think Lucid has strong branding in the name (simple and memorable) for sure so if their cars are great they will sell themselves. Rawlinson is being very smart in one way he constantly compares his company to Tesla and says Tesla is the market leader, essentially piggy backing his brand on Tesla. That gets people talking, but of course if the cars end up being substandard that will come back to bite in a big way.

I've said it before I give Lucid a 50% chance of succeeding I really hope they do. Who here that said they saw a Lucid in New York, and were not impressed? Sorry I can't remember who that was apologies.

Tesla was first so the branding was easier. Lucid has to now make waves in a space dominated by Tesla. Doesn't help that Tesla has been releasing products regularly for the past several years making a ton of noise. I think if Lucid wins a few comparisons and has similar performance with way better quality, it will succeed (or may get taken out through acquisition). If I were Toyota, I'd be buying Lucid right now
Old 07-28-21, 01:48 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Here is the article and video
https://www.motortrend.com/news/peter-rawlinson-lucid-motors-interview/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgWMEn_KlTE&ab_channel=TwoBitdaVinci

Excerpt from article above:
How did the development work?

Rawlinson: Model S was actually styled before I joined Tesla. My task was to retrospectively fit all the bits into it. It was a pretty interesting intellectual puzzle to design a car from the inside out. What I learned from that, however, is that to capitalize on the miniaturization of the electric powertrain requires interaction between design and engineering. This was missed in the Model S; it wasn't designed around the miniaturization of the electric powertrain; it was designed it to be a cool-looking car. No one knew then what could be achieved by miniaturizing. But having gone through that loop, I realized there was an opportunity.

There's an old adage that in order to break the rules, first you must master them. Having that technology in-house would enable Lucid to break the rules. If we could successfully miniaturize the powertrain, we could create much more space for the occupants, and this really led to the whole concept that I had. The great paradox is when the company, which was then called Atieva, asked me if I would be interested in doing an electric car, I said yes. Because I already had a vision for what it would be.
Old 07-28-21, 01:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for that.

That whole thing doesn't sound like engineering to me sounds like BS. I don't see a whole bunch of wasted space in the S at all I guess things can always be improved.
Old 07-28-21, 02:17 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks for that.

That whole thing doesn't sound like engineering to me sounds like BS. I don't see a whole bunch of wasted space in the S at all I guess things can always be improved.
My reaction was exactly the same - the trunk is absolutely massive and I don't see how they could have made drivetrain components smaller to increase cabin space.
Old 07-28-21, 02:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
My reaction was exactly the same - the trunk is absolutely massive and I don't see how they could have made drivetrain components smaller to increase cabin space.
I think what he's saying is the S was designed as a platform then they engineered the components to fit as an afterthought. Could be since Tesla had not made their own chassis before. Just seems like an odd thing to pick on and looking at the S, 3 and Y I don't see a bunch of empty cavities. Some EVs are like this they waste a bunch of space in the trunk area especially because they are used to making unibodies with gas tanks.

Thing is, who has been able to look over the Air in depth? No one to my knowledge has anyone even driven one outside of employees?
Old 07-28-21, 03:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

After seeing the Lucid car in person at their boutique in NYC - Tesla has zero to worry about it.
I’m not sure what they offer if anything that is even remotely compelling.
Old 07-28-21, 03:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
After seeing the Lucid car in person at their boutique in NYC - Tesla has zero to worry about it.
I’m not sure what they offer if anything that is even remotely compelling.
Thats a pretty strong position to take. The interior looked a lot better than the Teslas...did you not find that to be so? Also, I can't make a judgement until the driving comparisons come in. I would love to go test drive a Plaid model and compare it with the Dream version. I do admit that the exterior styling for me is bland.
Old 07-28-21, 03:46 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've also at times owned Tesla stock. If I had to own a car stock today based on EV outlook Lucid would definitely be on my short list.

What impressed me about Lucid was they seemed to have a very real and attractive looking and driving prototype. Lucid and Rivian seemed like they had the most legit engineering of the crop of startups post-Tesla. They didn't come across as burning money to be everything to everyone (Faraday), suspect engineering resources (Lordestown, Nikola), or terrible product with pretty skin (Karma).

If anything what they lacked seemed to be the ability to sell themselves to investors, and the vision to see where the market would go. Why build a Model S competitor when the Model X was so much more vulnerable? An SUV would have gotten more funding interest, IMO. It's going to be a really uphill climb with Porsche and the other Germans entering the space as well, and I think OEMs are too far in on their own development to shell out what it would take to acquire Lucid prior to a bankruptcy.
Old 07-28-21, 04:28 PM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats a pretty strong position to take. The interior looked a lot better than the Teslas...did you not find that to be so? Also, I can't make a judgement until the driving comparisons come in. I would love to go test drive a Plaid model and compare it with the Dream version. I do admit that the exterior styling for me is bland.
I agree, it looks like a real luxury car in pictures, is that not the case in person? I've sat in and driven quite a few Teslas, they always reminded me a lot of Ikea furniture--stylish in a minimalist way, but spend a little more time with them and they just feel cheap. I wonder if the Lucid feels the same?

On a side note, I had the exact opposite experience with the Genesis G80/90. Looked old and generic in pictures, but just exuded quality in person.
Old 07-28-21, 05:05 PM
maxxteezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have LCID stock too. Been in it for months as CCIV. I think they are going to shine bright in the future. Being as though the world is rushing to convert to EV, they are in front and high up in luxury. The design is awesome, clean and very prestige. I’d say keep those hands diamond and see some solid gains in the future.
Old 07-28-21, 07:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The car to me doesn’t have luxury proportions, exterior or interior design.
The rear trunk space and head room in the car is extremely compromised. It does have a large frunk. The impression that i got is of a Buick LaCrosse rather a Mercedes Sclass.

Also the Tesla design in person is just so unique and futuristic. The Lucid is plain and unexceptional imo. The interior is a joke. There are no amazing colors, trim options, contrast stitching etc as you would find in Sclass or 7series. Personally i was not impressed by it - it just doesn’t have that “it” factor that Tesla has.
Porsche Taycan to me is what a Luxury EV looks like and has the interior to match its price.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-28-21 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-28-21, 07:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I don't see how lucid makes much money. The Air will be an expensive large supposedly luxurious EV. How many do they expect to sell? Why would someone buy one instead of a Taycan, Model S, EQS, ETron GT?

why will anyone take a chance on an untested brand? Whoever is running lucid doesn't have the personality of Elon Musk to be sure.

To me lucid is a bit like fisker - lots of heat but very little light.

i think Rivian has a MUCH stronger hand.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air