EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 07:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't see how lucid makes much money. The Air will be an expensive large supposedly luxurious EV. How many do they expect to sell? Why would someone buy one instead of a Taycan, Model S, EQS, ETron GT?

why will anyone take a chance on an untested brand? Whoever is running lucid doesn't have the personality of Elon Musk to be sure.

To me lucid is a bit like fisker - lots of heat but very little light.

i think Rivian has a MUCH stronger hand.
Rivian is first to the truck segment and so it has mindshare there. I think it has the best chance to survive because its made a Niche for itself. Lucid is directly competing with Tesla's strength which is long-range and absurd speed with a tad more luxury. I agree that it will be a bit harder for them there. They should have attacked the Model X...thats not my favorite product from Tesla...
Old 07-28-21, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Rivian is first to the truck segment and so it has mindshare there. I think it has the best chance to survive because its made a Niche for itself. Lucid is directly competing with Tesla's strength which is long-range and absurd speed with a tad more luxury. I agree that it will be a bit harder for them there. They should have attacked the Model X...thats not my favorite product from Tesla...
Good post and agreed the X is ripe for competition. The X *is* amazing in many ways... it's actually my favorite Tesla but the next X7, GLS sized EV could do very well.
Old 07-28-21, 09:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
After seeing the Lucid car in person at their boutique in NYC - Tesla has zero to worry about it.
I’m not sure what they offer if anything that is even remotely compelling.
It was you! Couldn't remember had a mental block. No thanks button in this forum but thanks for all the info.
Originally Posted by maxxteezy
I have LCID stock too. Been in it for months as CCIV. I think they are going to shine bright in the future. Being as though the world is rushing to convert to EV, they are in front and high up in luxury. The design is awesome, clean and very prestige. I’d say keep those hands diamond and see some solid gains in the future.
I won't be selling until it 10x's or at least I'm willing to wait a few years.
I don't see how lucid makes much money. The Air will be an expensive large supposedly luxurious EV. How many do they expect to sell? Why would someone buy one instead of a Taycan, Model S, EQS, ETron GT?
Last I read Lucid plans to sell 20,000 in 2022, targeting 500,000 in 2030. Modest expectations for sure.
why will anyone take a chance on an untested brand?
They will if the Air really does have 500 miles of range an all that, will be class leading. It is a bit odd they plan to have so many versions of the Air are they simply trying to make it seem like they have more product?
Old 07-29-21, 03:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Good post and agreed the X is ripe for competition. The X *is* amazing in many ways... it's actually my favorite Tesla but the next X7, GLS sized EV could do very well.
I know minivans aren't super popular on the forum, but if the VW ID.buzz has good range I'm going full electric and replacing the Ody
Old 07-29-21, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
I know minivans aren't super popular on the forum, but if the VW ID.buzz has good range I'm going full electric and replacing the Ody
i think the buzz is cool and obviously has a giant nostalgia factor with the old vanagon / vw bus history...

going to stick a mattress and surf boards in it?
Old 07-29-21, 08:24 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

i think the buzz is cool and obviously has a giant nostalgia factor with the old vanagon / vw bus history...

going to stick a mattress and surf boards in it?
We saw one of the 70s ones at this hot air balloon festival over the weekend and it looked awesome. Then I looked at the pricing and those things are going for like $70K! No mattress in my buzz, but I wouldn't object to some snowboards

Anyway back on topic. I do hope Lucid does well. Competition keeps all players on their toes so the more the marrier!
Old 07-29-21, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

To me lucid is a bit like fisker - lots of heat but very little light.
I think this is a reasonable comparison.

I own some Lucid stock, one of those "why not?" stocks to own.
Old 08-25-21, 09:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Lucid Air test drive at Motor Trend, which I thought was a fun read.

2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R Exclusive First Drive: An Absolute Mic Drop

Why Lucid Motors’ all-electric first car is absolutely a threat to Tesla and other luxury carmakers.

The 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R is a 933-hp electric luxury sedan that can drive more than 500 miles on a single charge. I witnessed and experienced the latter firsthand. The former? Not so much, but you'll need to keep reading. There's also an Air Dream Edition P (P stands for Performance, R means Range) that makes 1,111 horsepower and offers a range of better than 450 miles. Now get this—they cost the same price. You choose: Do you want a sleek-looking EV with nearly 100 hp more than the Tesla Model S Plaid? Or do you want the car that makes more horsepower than any Lamborghini ever made, beats the Tesla Model S Long Range at its own game by more than 100 miles, and puts the very notion of range anxiety out to pasture? I won't be much help answering that question, as I only drove the Lucid Air Dream Edition R. However, as the first person not on Lucid's payroll to drive an Air, I discovered plenty to talk about.

As an organization, we've written almost everything there is to write about the Lucid Air without getting behind the wheel. Here are the big picture points I gleaned after two days spent driving Lucid's luxury EV.

Article is quite long, so I didn't want to copy the whole thing into an uber post. The rest of it can be found here.
Old 08-25-21, 10:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Very positive as expected given the circumstances. I've sat in this car in the showroom and it's mightily impressive in person. I can't wait to get my hands on one, but I will not be placing an order until late 2022 at the earliest. I need to hear how the ownership experience is first.
Old 08-25-21, 10:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Here is the article in question if you don't want to click 10 links before you find the right one
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

Go Lucid $$$$$$$
Old 08-25-21, 07:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I find this car really compelling. I could see myself In one.
Old 08-25-21, 07:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

anyone have any idea how they're getting the claimed range (assuming it's true)? humongous battery? tech breakthrough?
Old 08-25-21, 08:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

anyone have any idea how they're getting the claimed range (assuming it's true)? humongous battery? tech breakthrough?
It has a massive 113kwh battery which is much larger than the Model S and they have really good motor tech too (lighter). They helped develop the formula E motor tech and their CEO was the former engineering chief at Tesla. That company is no joke...they have some really good technology.
Old 08-25-21, 09:30 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Exterior reminds me of Daft Punk.
Old 08-26-21, 07:27 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It has a massive 113kwh battery which is much larger than the Model S and they have really good motor tech too (lighter). They helped develop the formula E motor tech and their CEO was the former engineering chief at Tesla. That company is no joke...they have some really good technology.
Seems like their battery and motor tech might be just as good if not better than Tesla. Model S has 405 miles of range and the lucid approx 500 miles with only a 13% bigger battery (tesla uses 100 Kwh?). That size battery in a Model S would theoretically give it 458 miles of range. When you account for the additional weight of a larger battery I guesstimate 430-440 miles of range.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air