EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 08:35 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
anyone have any idea how they're getting the claimed range (assuming it's true)? humongous battery? tech breakthrough?
I think they are doing a "elon musk" range thing where they estimate by the time the car comes out the battery will be advanced enough to do 500 miles. but who knows probably just a huge battery under it.
Old 08-26-21, 09:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I think they are doing a "elon musk" range thing where they estimate by the time the car comes out the battery will be advanced enough to do 500 miles. but who knows probably just a huge battery under it.
Lex2K above had a Motortrend review of the car. They actually did a range test and did 409 miles with about 69 miles remaining on the battery so 475 miles is pretty close to their estimated 500 miles. Its a gigantic battery...113 Kwh. Of course, its not a cheap car at $175k.
Old 08-26-21, 09:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

$175K? Holy crap. I guess they don't expect to sell many.
Old 08-26-21, 09:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

No, which is fine as they can probably only produce cars at a limited speed to start. Will be interesting to see how their downmarket models fare later on although I have no idea about their plan for those. I just know the Lucid Air is getting an SUV companion soon.
Old 08-26-21, 12:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Very positive as expected given the circumstances. I've sat in this car in the showroom and it's mightily impressive in person. I can't wait to get my hands on one, but I will not be placing an order until late 2022 at the earliest. I need to hear how the ownership experience is first.
I had opposite observation after testing one at their “boutique” in NYC.
It pales in comparison to Model S and has weird cut lines and proportions especially the rear. To me it looks like a Buick.

Also I don’t see any new or innovative features and definitely nothing unique to separate it from luxury sedans that actually have prestige. The interior especially the seats and trim is very mediocre for $100k.

Old 08-26-21, 01:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It pales in comparison to Model S and has weird cut lines and proportions especially the rear. To me it looks like a Buick.

Also I don’t see any new or innovative features and definitely nothing unique to separate it from luxury sedans that actually have prestige. The interior especially the seats and trim is very mediocre for $100k.
I guess pics and videos online are very deceiving....
Old 08-26-21, 01:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Always. I've looked at high end luxury cars in person and thought, this interior is not super nice in fact it kinda feels cheap (not going to say the brand don't want to sidetrack this thread). On Lucid production numbers their long term targets are very modest they don't seem to have aspirations of making a $40,000 high volume car.
Old 08-26-21, 01:28 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

The car is focused on maximizing interior space and it shows. It is far more spacious inside than the Model S. I can understand the criticism about proportions but I do believe it has presence. For this car to have this great of interior space utilization combined with the performance is nothing short of impressive. What separates this car from the others is combination of range, performance, and packaging.

One thing we can agree on is the interior materials. It reminded me of low volume sports manufacturers in the way that they put broad swaths of alcantara in heavy-use areas. I don't think the interiors are going to wear well at all and they pale in comparison to the Mercedes EQS. The presentation is nice though and I still think its ahead of the Model S.

Originally Posted by Hameed
You'll need to see it for yourself. It's not perfect from any stretch but what they've accomplished is just plain impressive from my viewpoint.
Old 08-26-21, 01:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I personally don’t think they’re going to be very successful. They may not even get any out of the gate, as these start ups can all of a sudden just go bankrupt. Lots of hype everywhere in the EV space
Old 08-26-21, 02:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

To me the brand will be another Fisker - at least that car had a beautiful design.
I can’t see it lasting too long. I asked the staff about SUV model but they only were discussing this Air model.

Also the colors inside and out are extremely boring.

Tesla actually provides bright red and nice blue with sea of black, white, grey.

As far as interior space - its more large midsize sedan rather than Sclass size. The floor in the back is very high. Rear trunk is not deep. Frunk is good size though.

Personally they should of went a lot more expressive with the interior design in terms of colors, stitching, trim options etc. Thats whats expected to compete even with regular Eclass and 5series let alone $100k+ cars.
Old 08-26-21, 02:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'll be excited to check one of these out on my own someday. Interiors can be pretty subjective. In the MT article I linked above, they were completely blown away by the Lucid's interior.
The interior is another matter entirely. Wow. Whereas every Tesla since day one has seemingly shipped without a finished interior, Lucid not only crafted a perfectly wonderful luxury-car cabin, but it also smartly avoided the screens über alles aesthetic that plagues cars like the Mercedes EQS.

In terms of screens, Lucid did a nice job of splitting the difference between the Model S and the EQS, a.k.a. the other two big electric sedans available now. The three screens don't dominate the cabin the way their counterparts do in both the Tesla and Mercedes. As for the rest, the 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R comes filled with fantastic materials: wood, leather, metal, Alcantara, quality plastics, and even linen-like fabric. This isn't just a great interior for an electric vehicle—it's one of the nicest interiors in the car world. Also, there are physical controls for fan speed, temperature, volume, and the dome light. My favorite part is the two little Bear Republic emblems stitched onto the sides of the front seats. Subtle and brilliant.
Old 08-26-21, 02:52 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

"$175K? Holy crap." bears repeating. It will have to be something pretty darn special to take the Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model S market.
But who knows? Heck, I don't even know how many people who can afford such a thing.
Old 08-26-21, 03:09 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The rear motor of the Model S Long Range weighs 295 pounds and produces 430 horsepower, for a power density of 1.46 hp per pound.

The Air uses the same motor front and rear; each weighs 163 pounds yet makes 670 horsepower (and spins at 20,000 rpm) for a power density of 4.11 hp per pound.

That's nearly three times better. Also, unlike Tesla, Lucid bothered to put a proper interior in its car"

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

Specs aren't everything - but they're off to get a really great start. That is impressive tech.
Old 08-26-21, 03:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
"The rear motor of the Model S Long Range weighs 295 pounds and produces 430 horsepower, for a power density of 1.46 hp per pound.

The Air uses the same motor front and rear; each weighs 163 pounds yet makes 670 horsepower (and spins at 20,000 rpm) for a power density of 4.11 hp per pound.

That's nearly three times better. Also, unlike Tesla, Lucid bothered to put a proper interior in its car"

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

Specs aren't everything - but they're off to get a really great start. That is impressive tech.
That statement is misleading as the new Model S has very different specs now. The new carbon-sleeve motors on the Plaid model are incredible but specs aren't fully known on those (weight, power, etc...). Seems like Lucid at least has the tech to compete but the question is whether they can manufacture efficiently. I hope for the best as choice is always a good thing
Old 08-26-21, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The Lucid web site shows the base prices of the various models as $69.9k, $87.5k, $132.5k and $161.5k. I wonder how their leases will be?

Quick Reply: Lucid Air