EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21, 06:29 PM
maxxteezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes buy one please! Beautiful car and I’ve been invested since the ****. I believe in this brand. I see it as the “BMW” of the ev market for now. When it actually hits the streets.
Old 11-29-21, 06:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxteezy
Yes buy one please! Beautiful car and I’ve been invested since the ****.
Me too my average is well, way below what the stock is now as usual quite a few friends said I was crazy. I love seeing the ground up EV makers succeed don't have much faith in legacy auto to shed their baggage and make great electric vehicles.
Old 11-29-21, 07:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Me too my average is well, way below what the stock is now as usual quite a few friends said I was crazy. I love seeing the ground up EV makers succeed don't have much faith in legacy auto to shed their baggage and make great electric vehicles.
You know, I have to totally agree with you. Big established companies have way to much internal politics, are about the bottom line so are adverse to risk. It prevents them from thinking out of the box. Some of the greatest innovations started in a small room, and were destroyed in the boardroom. For those of you in IT, remember BackupExec? One of the greatest backup software suites built by Maynard Electronics, and destroyed by Symantec
Old 11-29-21, 07:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
For those of you in IT, remember BackupExec? One of the greatest backup software suites built by Maynard Electronics, and destroyed by Symantec
There is a name I have not heard in a long time. Yes was awesome software I still consider it the benchmark until Symantec could not stop "improving" it.

Legacy auto is in a serious bind, they don't want to cannibalize their ICE sales because the entire infrastructure around it is mature and paid for but at the same time have to jump aboard the EV train. What's cool about Lucid is they tried (and I think mostly succeeded) to take the best aspects of Tesla and improve on them. Legacy auto still trying to make a reasonable facsimile of Tesla.
Old 11-30-21, 07:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Congrats!! Other than the exterior looks, everything else about this new EV seems fantastic and out of this world. The level of luxury, design of the interior (other than the butt ugly steering wheel) , the range etc just seems next level! 👍👍
Old 11-30-21, 07:42 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

congrats, Lucid looks very promising. Definitely looks like lots of R&D went into the quality aspect of this car. We will see once the consumers have it but this is one car I might replace my lexus with.
Old 11-30-21, 09:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thanks everyone! It definitely looks like a promising car. My next choice if this falls through is a PoleStar2, or PoleStar3 if it's out by next year. On another note, gas prices have gotten so high here (many stations being at or above $5 for regular) that everyone and their mom is going to Costco to fill up. This morning I went to the Costco on Automation Parkway in SJ for a fillup, and F me, the line was all the way from the gas pumps, out the entrance and a block down. Good God, at least a 30 minute wait! Screw that, I just turned around and went to work. I can't wait for the day when I never have to visit a gas station again, and a "fill-up" being only $5 or $6....
Old 11-30-21, 10:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks everyone! It definitely looks like a promising car. My next choice if this falls through is a PoleStar2, or PoleStar3 if it's out by next year. On another note, gas prices have gotten so high here (many stations being at or above $5 for regular) that everyone and their mom is going to Costco to fill up. This morning I went to the Costco on Automation Parkway in SJ for a fillup, and F me, the line was all the way from the gas pumps, out the entrance and a block down. Good God, at least a 30 minute wait! Screw that, I just turned around and went to work. I can't wait for the day when I never have to visit a gas station again, and a "fill-up" being only $5 or $6....
I was up in the Bay Area for Thanksgiving and the prices were pretty high. I spent over $100 on gas for my rental minivan (Pacifica...GREAT minivan). I just see that as money flying away...much rather use my EV with $0 in electricity
Old 11-30-21, 10:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I was up in the Bay Area for Thanksgiving and the prices were pretty high. I spent over $100 on gas for my rental minivan (Pacifica...GREAT minivan). I just see that as money flying away...much rather use my EV with $0 in electricity
I went to SoCal the week before Thanksgiving, and I spent $50 on the initial fill up (Costco in Gilroy), $75 when I got to the Valencia area (near Magic Mountain), and another $70+ on the fill up heading back home . I took my 2013 Toyota Sienna. Great van, but not cheap to drive
Old 11-30-21, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

They are awesome cars! Even without the tax credit I would still probably get it as the range is pretty amazing.
I don't see that you'll get a credit either way because you plan to lease.
Speaking of leases, i know you got a bargain deal on the ioniq ev you have but i don't expect the same for the lucid. Hyundai/kia can afford to subsidize the lease to get cars in the hands of people to gain experience. Lucid cannot. Also, with complete unknowns on resale value, i doubt it's possible to lease a lucid for less than $1000/mo. Maybe that's ok for you.

even if you did get say a $7500 tax credit, that's a pretty big difference and it would pay for, at $5/gallon, 1500 gallons, at 25mpg is 37,500 miles! So 'amazing' range isn't that amazing, although yes, if you spend tens of thousands for solar and hookups you can charge for 'free' (not free).

Also they have the fastest recharge time of any other EV. 400 miles in 30 minutes is phenomenal
Not phenomenal. Both my gas cars refuel 400 miles in 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Hameed
Congrats!! Other than the exterior looks, everything else about this new EV seems fantastic and out of this world. The level of luxury, design of the interior (other than the butt ugly steering wheel) , the range etc just seems next level! 👍👍
Respectfully to AMIRZA786, but really? I find ZERO 'wow' factor about the exterior or interior. Sure it's fast and claims to have huge range, but gee, reports are showing your favorite hated EV, the EQS, is far exceeding it's stated range. I think the lucid will be about as successful as fisker.

gas prices have gotten so high here (many stations being at or above $5 for regular) that everyone and their mom is going to Costco to fill up. This morning I went to the Costco on Automation Parkway in SJ for a fillup, and F me, the line was all the way from the gas pumps, out the entrance and a block down. Good God, at least a 30 minute wait! Screw that, I just turned around and went to work. I can't wait for the day when I never have to visit a gas station again, and a "fill-up" being only $5 or $6....
first the idiocy of waiting 30 minutes to save a couple of dollars on gas while they sip their $5 starbucks.

second as EVs increase in share in a high tax state like california, taxes on EVs specifically (and likely solar, utility electricity etc) will no doubt increase in number and size, so they can fund roads, etc. TANSTAAFL

Originally Posted by EZZ
Speaks for itself that you RENTED a gas vehicle because your electric vehicle is inadequate for the trip you took.

The stories we tell ourselves...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-30-21 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

even if you did get say a $7500 tax credit, that's a pretty big difference and it would pay for, at $5/gallon, 1500 gallons, at 25mpg is 37,500 miles! So 'amazing' range isn't that amazing, although yes, if you spend tens of thousands for solar and hookups you can charge for 'free' (not free).

Respectfully to AMIRZA786, but really? I find ZERO 'wow' factor about the exterior or interior. Sure it's fast and claims to have huge range, but gee, reports are showing your favorite hated EV, the EQS, is far exceeding it's stated range. I think the lucid will be about as successful as fisker.

first the idiocy of waiting 30 minutes to save a couple of dollars on gas while they sip their $5 starbucks.

second as EVs increase in share in a high tax state like california, taxes on EVs specifically (and likely solar, utility electricity etc) will no doubt increase in number and size, so they can fund roads, etc. TANSTAAFL

Speaks for itself that you RENTED a gas vehicle because your electric vehicle is inadequate for the trip you took.

So you equate my not wanting to drive 8 hours with kids a reason the ICE is better than an EV? Thats the dumbest reason yet to put down an EV I tried to rent an electric vehicle but there was nothing available. I could take my Tesla and it would take about an additional 30 min in the 8 hour trip but plane tickets are dirt cheap and my time is far more valuable than doing 8 hour drives.
Old 11-30-21, 10:34 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Mr. negative . Yes, you do still get the tax credits when you lease (I got the credit when I leased my Ioniq). Adding Solar is a benefit, not only does it pay for itself, it adds value to your house when you sell. It definitely adds more value than say building a pool or a deck (which may add value, but don't pay for themselves), It's funny how people think of solar as a negative when its a benefit which saves you a ton on electricity in the long run and not caring about other types of remodels LOL. Most people don't spend 30 minutes charging...because they charge at home and are sleeping while their car charges. No matter how you slice it, EV's bring more value then ICE and as they evolve that will become more obvious, and the data proves it. I save me over $300 a month changing my wife's commuter to an EV

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-30-21 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 10:39 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

To be honest I can't fully congratulate you for a "great purchase" because Lucid is such a new and unproven company. The Air has demonstrated good test results, but so did the early Model S's which had a mountain of issues both with the car and Tesla as a company back then. And the Model S was a best case scenario- we've seen what happened with others holding similar ambitions such as Fisker.

I will say that I do admire that you were brave enough to step into this uncharted territory and become an early adopter. I hope Lucid ends up being more like Tesla than Fisker, but at this point all bets are off.
Old 11-30-21, 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
So you equate my not wanting to drive 8 hours with kids a reason the ICE is better than an EV? Thats the dumbest reason yet to put down an EV I tried to rent an electric vehicle but there was nothing available. I could take my Tesla and it would take about an additional 30 min in the 8 hour trip but plane tickets are dirt cheap and my time is far more valuable than doing 8 hour drives.
wasn't clear from what i read that you flew. In that case of course you had to rent. Peace.

Old 11-30-21, 10:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

wasn't clear from what i read that you flew. In that case of course you had to rent. Peace.
Honestly, if i had to drive, I would still take my minivan because my Model 3 is too damn small for an 8 hour drive with kids Also, EV...ICE...doesn't make as much of a difference vs. the type of car I would drive. I would rather drive your LC500 8 hours north than my Model 3 if I was by myself.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air