EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-21, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Mr. negative . Yes, you do still get the tax credits when you lease (I got the credit when I leased my Ioniq).
Apparently you didn't, hyundai did.

If you are leasing the EV, the tax credit goes to the manufacturer that's offering the lease, not you. The carmaker will likely factor the credit into the cost of the lease to lower your monthly payment, but it isn't mandatory.
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...x-credits.html

Adding Solar is a benefit, not only does it pay for itself, it adds value to your house when you sell. It definitely adds more value than say building a pool or a deck (which may add value, but don't pay for themselves), It's funny how people think of solar as a negative when its a benefit which saves you a ton on electricity in the long run and not caring about other types of remodels LOL.
I never said solar was a negative, i think it's a great thing, and i actually applaud california govt for encouraging and incenting (and now requiring) solar options on homes. Florida (the 'sunshine state'!) did not, because power companies bought off politicians not to encourage it so that could build their own utility scale solar. I've looked into solar a couple of times for my home, but i found the solar 'companies' to be even less transparent and more high pressure than car dealers.
Old 11-30-21, 10:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
To be honest I can't fully congratulate you for a "great purchase" because Lucid is such a new and unproven company. The Air has demonstrated good test results, but so did the early Model S's which had a mountain of issues both with the car and Tesla as a company back then. And the Model S was a best case scenario- we've seen what happened with others holding similar ambitions such as Fisker.

I will say that I do admire that you were brave enough to step into this uncharted territory and become an early adopter. I hope Lucid ends up being more like Tesla than Fisker, but at this point all bets are off.
I haven't bought it yet. I can still back out and definitely will if it doesn't meet expectations
Old 11-30-21, 10:48 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

To be honest I can't fully congratulate you for a "great purchase" because Lucid is such a new and unproven company. The Air has demonstrated good test results, but so did the early Model S's which had a mountain of issues both with the car and Tesla as a company back then. And the Model S was a best case scenario- we've seen what happened with others holding similar ambitions such as Fisker.

I will say that I do admire that you were brave enough to step into this uncharted territory and become an early adopter. I hope Lucid ends up being more like Tesla than Fisker, but at this point all bets are off.
Lucid is a well-run company with good engineering, good leadership and what seems to be a quality product. I know one of their board members. They likely won't be another Fisker. There is ample room in the market for Lucid, Rivian, Tesla and others to be successful.
Old 11-30-21, 10:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I never said solar was a negative, i think it's a great thing, and i actually applaud california govt for encouraging and incenting (and now requiring) solar options on homes. Florida (the 'sunshine state'!) did not, because power companies bought off politicians not to encourage it so that could build their own utility scale solar. I've looked into solar a couple of times for my home, but i found the solar 'companies' to be even less transparent and more high pressure than car dealers.
You are correct, they did get the credit directly which they discounted from the lease price. I also got back $2500 (an actual check) from the state of California. As far as politicians, they are ALL bought off by someone. Both parties. Except Ron Paul. He rules!
Old 11-30-21, 10:51 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Lucid is a well-run company with good engineering, good leadership and what seems to be a quality product. I know one of their board members. They likely won't be another Fisker. There is ample room in the market for Lucid, Rivian, Tesla and others to be successful.
The problem is we had people saying the exact same thing about Fisker a decade ago before their woes. A startup for a big expensive luxury car will always have a question mark next to it.

Rivian is fine because they've secured a contract with Amazon who also has a 20% stake in them. Lucid doesn't have that luxury.
Old 11-30-21, 10:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I essentially feel the same way, but I'm excited for him. I personally chose not to reserve a Lucid Air because of the exact reasons you listed. I don't have the heart to take on this level of risk.
Old 11-30-21, 11:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The problem is we had people saying the exact same thing about Fisker a decade ago before their woes. A startup for a big expensive luxury car will always have a question mark next to it.

Rivian is fine because they've secured a contract with Amazon who also has a 20% stake in them. Lucid doesn't have that luxury.
Lucid has better EV tech than Rivian. Rivian's range and performance doesn't seem that impressive...just that their truck is very very nice. Lucid seems to have the best range and efficiency (even surpassing Tesla) so they at least have a technological advantage over rivals. Trouble with Fisker was that they also had no advantage either (and a bad mgmt team). Lucid's valuation is now too high for them to be acquired by any of the traditional OEMs so we'll see if they make it.
Old 11-30-21, 11:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Actually Rivian is the company on shakier ground. They admitted that they didn't have enough cash, and Amazon being their only backer is dangerous because if they decide to pull out, then Rivian is toast. Lucid on the other hand has much bigger backing, including Saudi Arabia..talk about irony. If I were to bet, I would bet on Lucid over Rivian. That said, there is no guarantee on either until both companies start to deliver
Old 11-30-21, 11:04 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Other than Tesla where the leases suck, the federal credits have tended to be used by others to subvent the lease payments, so indirectly he likely did see the benefit.

And even as a lessee, he will have qualified for the clean vehicle rebates in CA which were up to 5K and separate from the federal rebates.

Edit - AMIRZA786 already covered this as well.
Old 11-30-21, 11:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Other than Tesla where the leases suck, the federal credits have tended to be used by others to subvent the lease payments, so indirectly he likely did see the benefit.

And even as a lessee, he will have qualified for the clean vehicle rebates in CA which were up to 5K and separate from the federal rebates.

Edit - AMIRZA786 already covered this as well.
Yep. The reason I got the lease for $190 a month was because Hyundai deducted the $7500 from the lease price. I put down $3000 and got back $2500 from the State of California and $800 from PG&E, so my down payment was pretty much covered. Besides the $190 a month, the cost in electricity is probably around .05 cents per KWh, some of it offset by Solar. We went from $300 a month in gas and maintenance (not including wear & tear) to $190 plus $40 a month in electricity costs, so basically parking our paid off Sienna and leasing an EV is the cheaper option. Now I don't have to worry about the wear and tear on our van as much, and at nearly 160K, wear and tear becomes more expensive

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-30-21 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 11:51 AM
swajames
Pole Position

As an aside, there is close to zero risk ordering a Lucid Air right now. The deposit is fully refundable, physical delivery won't be for some considerable time given the backlog of orders, and anything and everything raised in this thread about whether the quality, reliability, company viability and so on are where they need to be will become increasingly clear well before anyone ordering now delivery would take delivery.
Old 11-30-21, 12:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As an aside, there is close to zero risk ordering a Lucid Air right now. The deposit is fully refundable, physical delivery won't be for some considerable time given the backlog of orders, and anything and everything raised in this thread about whether the quality, reliability, company viability and so on are where they need to be will become increasingly clear well before anyone ordering now delivery would take delivery.
It's definitely not a risk, by the time of physical delivery there will be enough on the road to know if the car has issues, reviewers would have had their hands on them etc. And as you said I can back out and get my deposit refunded.

On another note going back to gas prices, I decided to try again and go to Costco to fill up before the lunch hour, and this was the line that greeted me:

Every gas station is way above $5 for regular, and hitting almost $6 for premium. Costco is $4.19 for regular and $4.45 Premium. Why would anyone want to pay almost $6? The guy in the Tacoma in front of me hit the $80 mark and the pump was still going when I left! One more thing. a guy was leaving Costco in a Tesla and had to slink around all the people trying to get to the pumps, I could see him shaking his head in pity at all of us. When I made eye contact with him all I could do was smile

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-30-21 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 12:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's definitely not a risk, by the time of physical delivery there will be enough on the road to know if the car has issues, reviewers would have had their hands on them etc. And as you said I can back out and get my deposit refunded.

On another note going back to gas prices, I decided to try again and go to Costco to fill up before the lunch hour, and this was the line that greeted me:

Every gas station is way above $5 for regular, and hitting almost $6 for premium. Costco is $4.19 for regular and $4.45 Premium. Why would anyone want to pay almost $6? The guy in the Tacoma in front of me hit the $80 mark and the pump was still going when I left! One more thing. a guy was leaving Costco in a Tesla and had to slink around all the people trying to get to the pumps, I could see him shaking his head in pity at all of us. When I made eye contact with him all I could do was smile
Thats crazy. Ironic that the Tesla could probably charge faster than the car in line could get gas I'd rather pay the difference than wait in line.
Old 11-30-21, 01:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats crazy. Ironic that the Tesla could probably charge faster than the car in line could get gas I'd rather pay the difference than wait in line.
Not me. I already paid almost $50 for this fill up, it would have been around $70 if I went to a Shell or Chevron etc. Also these gas stations have two different prices: one for cash and one for credit. They add an additional charge per gallon if you use your credit card. No way I'm using my Debit card, I've had it hacked before at an Arco where I had no choice but use my debit card
Old 11-30-21, 01:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
This is crazy talk. You can get 400 miles in 5 minutes no matter what.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air