EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21, 09:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Apparently lots, and lots of people (including me) don't want to pay nearly $6 a gallon. I'm not giving those crooks my extra $1.50. My eventual solution is going fully EV, that way I'll be paying around $6 for a full fill-up
Just reinforces the fact that people are willing to wait to save money. Seems like waiting 15-20 min for a charge and paying much less than gas will be preferable for many. Of course, the vast majority will charge at home.
Old 12-01-21, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Just reinforces the fact that people are willing to wait to save money. Seems like waiting 15-20 min for a charge and paying much less than gas will be preferable for many. Of course, the vast majority will charge at home.
LOL. Very few people are willing to wait for a charge. Same with Costco gas stations which represent less than 1% off all gas stations in America. Charging is too long

Anywys.. glad to see someone put down a deposit on a Lucid. Lease or buy?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-01-21 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-01-21, 09:25 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
LOL. Very few people are willing to wait for a charge. Same with Costco gas stations which represent less than 1% off all gas stations in America. Charging is too long

We can agree to disagree on this. People are frugal and will wait to save money. Costco represents a small number of gas stations but they are always packed and always have a line. Many many people will wait in line to save money on gas.
Old 12-01-21, 09:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

The evidence is clear here that people are willing to wait to save money. I showed pics that prove it. I passed by the Costco this morning and it's just as packed as Monday and yesterday. And the 5 or 6 Chevron and Exxon Mobile stations were virtually empty. Also most people charge at home, so there is no wait. The number of EV's and charging stations in California prove that people are willing to wait to save money. Lots of money.

As far as the Lucid, there is no lease options right now. So I will probably be buying it. I have plenty of time to back out if I see there are issues with it. And when you say you are "glad to see someone put down a deposit", actually so many people pre-ordered that they had to close preorders to the Air Dream Edition. The amount of orders they have will keep them busy until 2023
Old 12-01-21, 09:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As you can see @LexsCTJill , the Lucid Air Dream Edition is closed to reservations, you can only join the waiting list. More people bought than you think. It is a limited run, but they sold out almost overnight

Old 12-01-21, 09:48 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Electric vehicles are the fastest growing segment by far it's absurd to make the claim no one wants to "wait for a charge". Also in the average use case you wait far less when you own an electric vehicle.
Old 12-01-21, 10:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Electric vehicles are the fastest growing segment by far it's absurd to make the claim no one wants to "wait for a charge". Also in the average use case you wait far less when you own an electric vehicle.
The "wait" claim is just false. My wife never "waites". She gets in her Ioniq every morning and goes to work. Once a week I have to wait (sometimes 30 minutes), and thousands like me who want to save money by getting gas at Costco. The only time you ever have to wait is when you travel far distances and have to stop to charge, which in my case would be maybe three times a year when I go to visit my family in SoCal. But that would be nothing different because I normally make stops anyway that can be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

There's a reason people who buy and lease EV's say they can never go back. And remember, these people come from and still own in some cases traditional ICE vehicles, so it's not like EV's were the first cars they ever drove
Old 12-01-21, 10:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The "wait" claim is just false. [snip]
100%. I'll break it down, people making the false wait time claim are not doing it because they don't like the apparent problem of waiting, they are doing it to throw shade on electric vehicles. That is the only reason. As you say there are legit limitations, if you go on a long trip there is an adjustment. But lately with an ICE vehicle filling up is not all smooth sailing and is getting silly expensive.
Old 12-01-21, 10:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

As far as the Lucid, there is no lease options right now. So I will probably be buying it. I have plenty of time to back out if I see there are issues with it. And when you say you are "glad to see someone put down a deposit", actually so many people pre-ordered that they had to close preorders to the Air Dream Edition. The amount of orders they have will keep them busy until 2023
Interesting there are no lease options. Good luck on your purchase
Old 12-01-21, 10:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Interesting there are no lease options. Good luck on your purchase
The reason for that is that it is a new product, with all vehicles that initially come to market, leasing cannot be made available immediately due to banks needing time to determine the vehicle’s residual value in order to establish leasing terms and guidelines
Old 12-01-21, 12:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
People are frugal irrational and will wait to save lose money because they don't value their own time.

Costco represents a small number of gas stations but they are always packed and always have a line. Many many people will wait in line to save money on gas.
as you say, small # of stations but that still represents a lot of people but still a TINY % of people. people waiting in line, burning gas and reading facebook as they wait... makes perfect sense.

The evidence is clear here that SOME people are willing to wait to save money.
not all.

And the 5 or 6 Chevron and Exxon Mobile stations were virtually empty.
meanwhile, people making boatloads of money because they value their time are getting gas at those empty stations.

As far as the Lucid, there is no lease options right now.
is this new news to you as you said you were leasing initially?

so many people pre-ordered that they had to close preorders to the Air Dream Edition. The amount of orders they have will keep them busy until 2023
but that's not the issue you put a reservation on. is lucid planning to fulfill all the dream edition orders first ($$$)?

the Lucid Air Dream Edition is closed to reservations, you can only join the waiting list. More people bought than you think. It is a limited run, but they sold out almost overnight
how many reservations was that?

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Electric vehicles are the fastest growing segment by far
if you go from 1 to 2 you've doubled your 'segment' so growth rate is pretty meaningless. let me know when EVs are 25% of all new vehicle sales.
Old 12-01-21, 12:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is this new news to you as you said you were leasing initially?

but that's not the issue you put a reservation on. is lucid planning to fulfill all the dream edition orders first ($$$)?

how many reservations was that?
To answer your question, I wasn't sure if they offered leasing or not when I put in the reservation. Obviously leasing would be the better option as EV tech is constantly evolving, but I'm willing to buy one. Yes, they have been delivering the Dream Edition models first from reports I've seen. According to their 2021 Q3 report, they had 17,000 plus orders for the Air: https://insideevs.com/news/548120/lu...-reservations/

They have a production target of 20,000 for 2023 2022. They have had a very good start for a startup company, and I think they are going to do well as they currently have $4.8 Billion in cash

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-01-21 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-01-21, 12:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

They have a production target of 20,000 for 2023.
'23? what about next year?

Old 12-01-21, 12:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

as you say, small # of stations but that still represents a lot of people but still a TINY % of people. people waiting in line, burning gas and reading facebook as they wait... makes perfect sense.

Every Costco I go to has a crazy line for gas. I personally wouldn't wait but I can visually see the crazy lines. I think you overestimate the value that many people attach to their time. If you think people won't wait to charge an EV, then we will agree to disagree. I've already many people switch to an EV without a home charging solution and they are more than happy to wait a bit to charge to save on gas. I'm just glad my car comes with 200+ miles every morning
Old 12-01-21, 12:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

if you go from 1 to 2 you've doubled your 'segment' so growth rate is pretty meaningless. let me know when EVs are 25% of all new vehicle sales.
For the record you are calling the growth of electric vehicles meaningless.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air