EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-21, 07:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't wait for Costco branded charging stations with discount electricity. The lines will continue.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I dont have a cheapness gene, which sometimes is a bad thing lol
Ha me neither. I always knew I needed to make more money to compensate.
Old 12-02-21, 07:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Ha me neither. I always knew I needed to make more money to compensate.
Start watching at 5:55, or hell, just watch the whole thing.

Old 12-02-21, 08:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no, i'm saying people who wait at costco for gas DON'T value (wasting) their time. but hey, if it makes them feel good or happier, all good.

clearly people will and we both know charging speed will improve too.

so you hate waiting in line for gas, etc., but feel compelled to, to save money. i tend to avoid things i hate if i can. i guess you don't value your time much either. to put it in perspective, the reason rich people 'waste' tons of money on private jets is because they DO value their time. the time they save not going through hours at commercial airports is put to use making billions.

but yeah, since most don't value their time, they will wait in gas lines and loads of other lines, even to save minuscule amounts of money.

Just go early and leave early. You made an appearance.

anyway, this is way off topic now.
​​​​​​ When I reach billionaire status, I'll get my own corporate jet and stop wasting my time buying gas at Costco. Problem solved!
Old 12-02-21, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You can always make more money. You can’t make more time.

Deep, I know lol

But, with that Lucid air it is so fast you’ll save tons of time getting places (see what I did there? Back on topic!)
That's definitely a true statement, you'll never get back time lost. Can't argue there. As much as I hate getting gas at Costco, losing 20 or 30 minutes once a week is not that big of a deal, to me at least. Once I get my Lucid (or PoleStar, which is also on the list as an alternative), I'll never have to waste a second filling up at any gas station...ever. Even the occasional 20 or 30 minute plug-in at a charging station would be worth it, because you're not talking saving $1.60 a gallon, you're talking the difference between $70 and $5, which over time (that thing we value so much), will actually be financially net positive. $70 fill-ups over a month adds up to $280, $3,360 a year. The cost for "filling up" an EV over a month is around $40, which is $480 a year. The difference is $2,880. That's money you can blow on dinners, a vacation, or you can invest it and if you do it right, over 10 years it's now $50K!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-02-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 12:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​ When I reach billionaire status, I'll get my own corporate jet and stop wasting my time buying gas at Costco. Problem solved!
sorry, you won't make it, because you think it's important to save $10 waiting half an hour at costco for gas.
Old 12-02-21, 01:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sorry, you won't make it, because you think it's important to save $10 waiting half an hour at costco for gas.
It's true I will never be a Billionaire, but that has nothing to do with waiting to get gas at Costco, LOL. The CEO of my company is halfway to being a Billionaire (currently his net worth is more than $500M), in May when he can cash out the shares from one of the companies he founded that recently went public he will adding anywhere from $180M to $200M to his wealth, and he buys gas at Costco, LOL. I'm around extremely wealthy people daily being part of the silicon Valley startup world, and they are the cheapest penny pinchers you have ever met, which is the reason they are rich. When they do spend a lot of money its usually very strategic and the purpose is usually for reducing taxes. Usually people who give the appearance of being rich are only doing that...trying to project something they are not

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-02-21 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-02-21, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It all goes back to value. Something is not a better value because its cheaper, its what you get for the money. Its great to save money on gas, but if I have to endure the frustration of sitting in line for 45 minutes to an hour + to get gas, then that has no value to me. IMO, my time and frustration have a value on them to me that is way higher than $1.50 a gallon. Now, I know gas is cheaper in certain areas, so when I am in one of those areas I will get gas whether I need it or not...but to sit in a line like that? I wouldnt do that for FREE gas, truly.

Thats why I NEVER go to Costco. There is literally nothing there that is cheaper enough than somewhere else to make it worth it to me to deal with the cattle call that is Costco. My wife loves Costco, I would rather have my teeth drilled than even pull into the parking lot.
Costco merchandise has its place….I don’t mind going every now and then. I’d only go very early if I have to. I like some of their online specials like when I bought my 2nd iPhone 8 Plus for half price and the double the gb.

That's definitely a true statement, you'll never get back time lost. Can't argue there. As much as I hate getting gas at Costco, losing 20 or 30 minutes once a week is not that big of a deal, to me at least. Once I get my Lucid (or PoleStar, which is also on the list as an alternative), I'll never have to waste a second filling up at any gas station...ever. Even the occasional 20 or 30 minute plug-in at a charging station would be worth it, because you're not talking saving $1.60 a gallon, you're talking the difference between $70 and $5, which over time (that thing we value so much), will actually be financially net positive. $70 fill-ups over a month adds up to $280, $3,360 a year. The cost for "filling up" an EV over a month is around $40, which is $480 a year. The difference is $2,880. That's money you can blow on dinners, a vacation, or you can invest it and if you do it right, over 10 years it's now $50K!
You have really thought this through and through. I think hybrid is the best route. Compared to your current electric car, the hybrid version only needs 17 fill ups per year based on the superb 702 mile range if you were to drive the 12,000 mile average …. 5 minute fill up….less than 90 minutes a year total pumping gas $850 for the year…. Lots of time saved, no waiting for charging. No need for Costco line ups for gasoline
Old 12-02-21, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You have really thought this through and through. I think hybrid is the best route. Compared to your current electric car, the hybrid version only needs 17 fill ups per year based on the superb 702 mile range if you were to drive the 12,000 mile average …. 5 minute fill up.. $850 for the year…. Lots of time saved, no waiting for charging. No need for Costco gasoline
Except if you charge at home overnight you never need to wait to charge,
Old 12-02-21, 02:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Except if you charge at home overnight you never need to wait to charge,
That is indeed true. But lots of plugging in…unplugging. Long trips create range anxiety. Super inconvenient. And in cold climates, You would be plugging in as much as you can

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-02-21 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-02-21, 02:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Costco merchandise has its place….I don’t mind going every now and then. I’d only go very early if I have to. I like some of their online specials like when I bought my 2nd iPhone 8 Plus for half price and the double the gb.

You have really thought this through and through. I think hybrid is the best route. Compared to your current electric car, the hybrid version only needs 17 fill ups per year based on the superb 702 mile range if you were to drive the 12,000 mile average …. 5 minute fill up….less than 90 minutes a year total pumping gas $850 for the year…. Lots of time saved, no waiting for charging. No need for Costco line ups for gasoline
I really hate hybrids. I drove the 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid, and I drove the 2021 LS500h, and I can only describe them as...horrible. They are both buzzy when you need power, the power train feels weak, and the CVT's suck. I would rather keep and drive my 2013 Sienna with the 3.5L V6 and pay more for gas. And go to Costco and wait in those long lines, LOL
Old 12-02-21, 02:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I really hate hybrids. I drove the 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid, and I drove the 2021 LS500h, and I can only describe them as...horrible. They are both buzzy when you need power and the CVT's suck. I would rather keep and drive my 2013 Sienna with the 3.5L V6 and pay more for gas. And go to Costco LOL
It’s the it’s the constant plug-in and plugging out, of the electric car that bugs me. Plus the range anxiety. Cold climates. The Hyundai electric comparable hybrid that we were talking about has an automatic transmission that is six speed
Old 12-02-21, 02:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It’s the it’s the constant plug-in and plugging out, of the electric car that bugs me. Plus the range anxiety. Cold climates. The Hyundai electric comparable hybrid that we were talking about has an automatic transmission that is six speed
You don't need to constantly plug and un-plug, really I only do it because we can, and you are fully charged everyday. I wish I could explain to you that range anxiety is something you realize is over-blown once you own and daily drive an EV. I just don't like hybrids. I lived with Prius for 3 weeks when I was in PA a few years back taking a class. and although not a bad car, I really couldn't own one. EV's drive better, feel better, and are still cheaper to drive than a Hybrid. Once I drove an EV, I can never own a Hybrid
Old 12-02-21, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You don't need to constantly plug and un-plug, really I only do it because we can, and you are fully charged everyday. I wish I could explain to you that range anxiety is something you realize is over-blown once you own and daily drive an EV.
You can’t…because it is a serious concern…not everyone has a house to charge.

Anyways..back to Lucid…how long to charge the vehicle from 1 mile left to 500?
Old 12-02-21, 02:20 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

And you've tried this on which EV specifically?

I find it very "fascinating" that you constantly complain about an EV's shortcomings, yet have zero personal experience owning one.
Old 12-02-21, 02:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You can’t…because it is a serious concern…not everyone has a house to charge.

Anyways..back to Lucid…how long to charge the vehicle from 1 mile left to 500?
From 0 to 80 percent in 35 minutes, which gives you 400 miles. After that charging slows down to preserve the batteries, so I'm not sure

Quick Reply: Lucid Air