EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I was specifically talking about level 3 fast charging, and if you go further down the thread I mention that you have to go to a level 3 charging station. For me this will not be an issue because I drive less than 20 miles a day, so home charging will work fine, plus if needed, there are fast chargers within 5 minutes from my home and office. On those occasions when I travel far, like going to SoCal, I don't mind making a 30 minute stop to charge, I do that anyway with my gasoline cars.
Exactly, when you can easily charge overnight theres no reason to have a level 3 charger at your home.
Old 12-03-21, 08:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
why do you think they will stay that way? They can't scale to mass production? It's a lousy car?
despite excitement, sales of any vehicle starting at $77K aren't huge. Besides that, i expect lucid to magically only have mostly $100K cars 'available' for some time. Even smaller market.

And most obviously, sales of large luxury sedans aren't huge to begin with. I think lucid made a huge mistake by not making their first vehicle an suv.

And they're completely unknown in terms of track record. One sizeable glitch in reliability or anything could hurt them a lot.

and besides all that, other brands aren't going to not have competition. Mercedes (your fave ), bmw at some point, lexus at some point, audi at some point, even cadillac, etc.

Finally, as i think you know, i'm just not that impressed by the lucid. Sure it's very fast and comfy with claimed great range, but i don't care for the interior or exterior. Looks like a lincoln and about as boring.
Old 12-03-21, 08:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
despite excitement, sales of any vehicle starting at $77K aren't huge. Besides that, i expect lucid to magically only have mostly $100K cars 'available' for some time. Even smaller market.

And most obviously, sales of large luxury sedans aren't huge to begin with. I think lucid made a huge mistake by not making their first vehicle an suv.

And they're completely unknown in terms of track record. One sizeable glitch in reliability or anything could hurt them a lot.

and besides all that, other brands aren't going to not have competition. Mercedes (your fave ), bmw at some point, lexus at some point, audi at some point, even cadillac, etc.

Finally, as i think you know, i'm just not that impressed by the lucid. Sure it's very fast and comfy with claimed great range, but i don't care for the interior or exterior. Looks like a lincoln and about as boring.
I think a lot of brands start off with a sports sedan or sporty coupe to hook the enthusiasts and people that will champion the brand. Tesla did that strategy with the Roadster and then the very nice looking Model S. They got traction, found incredible brand champions, then went to an SUV product in the Model X. They followed this same strategy with the lower end Model 3 then Y. I think the CEO, Peter Rawlinson, is following the same strategy as he was a Tesla exec before he started Lucid. I don't know if this strategy will work out for them but given his lineage, not surprised at Lucid's first product (which is very good).

The only issue with this is, I think Lucid's technology better serves the lower end of the market. Their secret sauce is how small their super efficient electric motors are and this would serve very well in something the size of a Model 3 or smaller. They could probably make the most efficient, highest horsepower, with the best packaging if they targeted that market but they went to the executive class first. We'll see if this strategy pays off. I agree that their exec sedan looks boring but still think it looks better than the EQS
Old 12-03-21, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

An aerial drone view of the Lucid's production plant in Arizona. Looks like they are cranking them out

https://insideevs.com/news/552083/80...tion-cars/amp/

I promise @bitkahuna not to go off topic again, but I couldn't resist, as this made me specifically think of you, although others on this thread also share your view. Here is the Chevron station on my way to work:

And just a few miles away, the Costco gas station:

The Chevron station has another row of pumps at the side you can't see, there are only two cars pumping. The Costco station has a line going back all the way to the entrance, probably half a block down. People want a bargain! A lot of people, apparently

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-03-21 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-03-21, 09:29 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

BTW, I booked a test drive for a dual-motor PoleStar 2 on December 8th. They will be bringing it to me at my work

I'm still trying to book a test drive with Lucid, so far no luck

I will be awaiting your impressions.
Old 12-03-21, 09:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think a lot of brands start off with a sports sedan or sporty coupe to hook the enthusiasts and people that will champion the brand. Tesla did that strategy with the Roadster and then the very nice looking Model S. They got traction, found incredible brand champions, then went to an SUV product in the Model X. They followed this same strategy with the lower end Model 3 then Y. I think the CEO, Peter Rawlinson, is following the same strategy as he was a Tesla exec before he started Lucid. I don't know if this strategy will work out for them but given his lineage, not surprised at Lucid's first product (which is very good).

The only issue with this is, I think Lucid's technology better serves the lower end of the market. Their secret sauce is how small their super efficient electric motors are and this would serve very well in something the size of a Model 3 or smaller. They could probably make the most efficient, highest horsepower, with the best packaging if they targeted that market but they went to the executive class first. We'll see if this strategy pays off. I agree that their exec sedan looks boring but still think it looks better than the EQS
I personally like the way the Lucid Air looks, and especially love the interior. I've sat several times in my friends Model 3, and comfortable it is not. I would describe it more as utilitarian, I wouldn't be surprised if Elon got his design idea from IKEA

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-03-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-03-21, 09:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDlexus
I will be awaiting your impressions.
I'm going to do a seperate thread on it next week
Old 12-03-21, 10:37 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

I think Lucid is on to something. They certainly aren't doing anything that isn't entirely rational.

The biggest factors in play in the EV space are range, charging time, performance, build quality and, at the higher end, premium/luxury.

Lucid now has the best range and fastest charging. Extremely important to buyers. Performance is more than good enough to not be an issue. Not Plaid fast, but faster than pretty much anything else. Early reports on quality seem good, and the car is much more luxurious and premium than the equivalent Tesla. The vehicle is getting good initial reviews, and is getting those reviews in a market where extremely competent alternatives already exist. The car IS getting judged against where others are, and it is perceived as more than competitive in general and bringing something new and better in areas that count.

You have to give Lucid credit. They are focusing on what actual EV buyers want.
Old 12-03-21, 10:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I think Lucid is on to something. They certainly aren't doing anything that isn't entirely rational.

The biggest factors in play in the EV space are range, charging time, performance, build quality and, at the higher end, premium/luxury.

Lucid now has the best range and fastest charging. Extremely important to buyers. Performance is more than good enough to not be an issue. Not Plaid fast, but faster than pretty much anything else. Early reports on quality seem good, and the car is much more luxurious and premium than the equivalent Tesla. The vehicle is getting good initial reviews, and is getting those reviews in a market where extremely competent alternatives already exist. The car IS getting judged against where others are, and it is perceived as more than competitive in general and bringing something new and better in areas that count.

You have to give Lucid credit. They are focusing on what actual EV buyers want.
I think Lucid is going to first appeal big time to Bay Area type Tesla owners (specifically Model S and X buyers) who are 100 percent sold on EV, but are looking for more comfort, and of course range and faster charging is a plus. The $77K price is totally appealing and fits easily in the budget of professionals here, and I predict we are going to see them more and more around here next year. That will eventually spread to other parts of California, and as the brand grows, they will start building lower priced luxury models, including SUV. I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict we will have a very healthy competition with Tesla in the next 5 years
Old 12-03-21, 11:02 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

I think Lucid is going to first appeal big time to Bay Area type Tesla owners (specifically Model S and X buyers) who are 100 percent sold on EV, but are looking for more comfort, and of course range and faster charging is a plus. The $77K price is totally appealing and fits easily in the budget of professionals here, and I predict we are going to see them more and more around here next year. That will eventually spread to other parts of California, and as the brand grows, they will start building lower priced luxury models, including SUV. I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict we will have a very healthy competition with Tesla in the next 5 years
Yep - we're not exactly short of people driving expensive cars here in the Bay Area, are we? You have exactly the right buyer profile IMO.
Old 12-03-21, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Yep - we're not exactly short of people driving expensive cars here in the Bay Area, are we? You have exactly the right buyer profile IMO.
Exactly. Lucid will do well here
Old 12-03-21, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
TO be fair though, your opinion on that and the same things about the EQS seem to be contrary to the opinions the motoring press and the majority of people seem to have...
Old 12-03-21, 11:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
TO be fair though, your opinion on that and the same things about the EQS seem to be contrary to the opinions the motoring press and the majority of people seem to have...
I think Bit needs to put the grumpy cat back as his avatar
Old 12-03-21, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think Bit needs to put the grumpy cat back as his avatar
I think he's just giving us a hard time . BTW, I know you opened a thread on PoleStar, I will doing a test drive on a PoleStar 2 next week, I'll be opening a new thread on reviewing it if you don't mind
Old 12-03-21, 12:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I think he's just giving us a hard time . BTW, I know you opened a thread on PoleStar, I will doing a test drive on a PoleStar 2 next week, I'll be opening a new thread on reviewing it if you don't mind
Not at all, I look forward to your impressions about it

Quick Reply: Lucid Air