EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-21 | 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I had opposite impression.
Looked like a Buick to me with all the chrome trim.
Rear seat room wasn’t great for car this size and interior design was just OK. I believe they only have 2-3 color options for inside.

When you consider this thing starts over $100k with no brand history and no service support, you are throwing $$$ in the wind. I found the EQS interior more desirable and it costs much less.
They have 5 or 6 interior options. Inside is considerably bigger than the EQS, the low rent materials in places and the really tall dash of the EQS turn me off of it inside.

As for price, the EQS is more than all but the Grand Touring and Dream editions, the Pure starts at $77k and the Touring is $95k. The Airs over $100k have much more power and range than the EQS too and the 450 is only RWD, while all Airs are AWD.

And at least right now EQS have huge markups while the price for an Air is the price. Of course, you can’t get an Air anytime soon.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-29-21 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:08 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
There are lower cost models that start at $77K (before the EV Credits), have the same room, just not the same power and range. It looks absolutely awesome to me, I wouldn't buy the Air Dream but 1000 percent I would the Air pure if I could get it tomorrow
I think for now you can only get the expensive version, from my recollection but maybe it has changed.
They are opening a store next to me right where Tesla is located so I will be seeing a ton of them by 2022 Q1. Will definitely take one out for a spin.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I think for now you can only get the expensive version, from my recollection but maybe it has changed.
They are opening a store next to me right where Tesla is located so I will be seeing a ton of them by 2022 Q1. Will definitely take one out for a spin.
Pre-Orders for the top of the line are closed (fully booked), you can only pre-order the Pure and the Touring. If you get lucky enough to drive one, post your experience. I could probably get my hands on a test drive of one through my friend who works for Lucid, but I'm afraid I would regret cancelling my pre-order
Old 12-29-21 | 06:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

They only have the expensive version and they are extremely production constrained and won't change anytime soon.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah you are 2 years away from any of the lower priced versions.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They have 5 or 6 interior options. Inside is considerably bigger than the EQS, the low rent materials in places and the really tall dash of the EQS turn me off of it inside.

As for price, the EQS is more than all but the Grand Touring and Dream editions, the Pure starts at $77k and the Touring is $95k. The Airs over $100k have much more power and range than the EQS too.

And at least right now EQS have huge markups while the price for an Air is the price. Of course, you can’t get an Air anytime soon.
Maybe you sampled a base EQS - the one I drove was very high end with no cheap materials at all. It was way more spacious than Lucid in rear space. The interior design of the EQS is also on a different level including the multimedia interface and obviously its a trustworthy brand.

Lucid does have a frunk which EQS doesn’t.

All I remember was being underwhelmed by Lucid and saying to myself that Tesla had zero to worry about.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Maybe you sampled a base EQS - the one I drove was very high end with no cheap materials at all. It was way more spacious than Lucid in rear space. The interior design of the EQS is also on a different level including the multimedia interface and obviously its a trustworthy brand.

All I remember was being underwhelmed by Lucid and saying to myself that Tesla had zero to worry about.
For the average EV buyer, Tesla has nothing to worry about. The Lucid is geared towards luxury high end buyers, the same ones that would consider the EQS. That could change if Lucid is able to break into the market, get production in line and later come out with lower cost models. Only time will tell if they will succeed
Old 12-29-21 | 06:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was a $125,000 EQS580 lol. There is one interior option that improves the materials, and almost no EQSs will have it since it’s one specific white and blue color and it’s a $5,000 option, and that’s not going to fix the areas I’m talking about. You just didn’t notice the things I noticed. I’m very particular about interior materials, I can show you on any car that I’m interested in exactly where all the lower rent plastics are located.

I much prefer the interior design of the Lucid.

As for multimedia, didn’t spend much time with either in that regard but the latest MBUX is a mess in the new S Class, I’m certain it won’t be any different in the EQS.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just to add, the picture posted above is not the interior of a production Lucid Air. Not sure if that’s the Gravity it what that is.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:52 PM
RXSF

Doesn't your mercedes' Wave massage do the seat bottom? The one on my E class does

I thought the lucid looked a bit weird but it has grown on me too. If you saw the dream edition, we are talking about a lot of money, isn't it around 160K? Also disappointing Lucid decided not to include apple CarPlay. Glad you liked the car though. Your experience is different than Doug Demuro's who also did a review of the Lucid and EQS back to back, and found the MB to be more luxurious
Old 12-29-21 | 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, no massage function on the seat bottom of my S Class.

Now, “luxurious”, you could say the EQS is more traditionally luxurious. I just don’t like the design of it. The high, flat angled dash just doesn’t appeal to me. The material issues aren’t a big deal when you realize that it’s not meant to be a peer to the S Class really. Like I said, all those same areas are the same lower rent materials in the E Class. Acoustic glass and sound isolation package is optional on the EQS also just like on the E Class where it’s standard on the S Class.

The aesthetic of the Lucid is very different than Mercedes. More like say Porsche and Volvo had a baby. Does that make sense?

I just overall like the design of this car much more inside and out. The dream is the same as the lower models inside and out save a couple
options, the only difference is power and range. But yeah $170k. With the markup the EQS I saw was $170k too.

Another thing, no air suspension on the Lucid which may be a differentiator. The Air is also a foot shorter than the EQS, yet looks longer…

Old 12-29-21 | 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Another thing, no air suspension on the Lucid which may be a differentiator.
Not necessarily a fact, but a strong guess on my part.......air-suspensions need compressors, which are usually electrically-driven, and perhaps the engineers thought it would be too much of a power-draw, in addition to the other drains on the battery.
Old 12-29-21 | 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily a fact, but a strong guess on my part.......air-suspensions need compressors, which are usually electrically-driven, and perhaps the engineers thought it would be too much of a power-draw, in addition to the other drains on the battery.
They omitted it to get the car to production more quickly, they say it will come later. The EQS has air suspension, as does the Tesla Model S and X
Old 12-29-21 | 08:31 PM
swajames
Pole Position

I’ve yet to see a bad review of the Lucid. The ones I’ve read all support Steve’s perspective.
Old 12-29-21 | 09:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I’ve yet to see a bad review of the Lucid. The ones I’ve read all support Steve’s perspective.
Agreed. Several reviewers have gotten their hands on preproduction models and have nothing but praise for it. Even the fast charging was tested and praised. Lucid will be on my list when my PoleStar lease is ending

Quick Reply: Lucid Air