EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-21, 09:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

if the eqs is a civic, then the lucid air is a taurus.

i dislike pretty much every design decision.

it's a unique combination of boring and tacky chrome.
Old 12-29-21, 09:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah you are 2 years away from any of the lower priced versions.
so only the $170K or whatever dream version until then?

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Now, “luxurious”, you could say the EQS is more traditionally luxurious.
so you trash the eqs about poor materials in places most people won't notice, yet you say it's "more traditionally luxurious" - i don't know what that means.

no air suspension on the Lucid which may be a differentiator.
can't imagine you wanting a car without air after having it.

Old 12-29-21, 10:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Ford would pee their pants with joy 20 times a day if Lucid was a car they made.
Old 12-29-21, 10:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Ford would pee their pants with joy 20 times a day if Lucid was a car they made.

Well, that was Ford's own decision. They sold off three of their own upmarket brands (Jaguar, Volvo, and Land-Rover)....Lincoln is the only one they have left, and that division doesn't even have its own dealerships....they mostly sell out of Ford shops.
Old 12-30-21, 05:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Rather have a Taurus than a Civic lol

Exactly how I feel about the EQS. Everywhere it just looks wrong to me. We just disagree.

EQS has just as much chrome on it as a Lucid Air...the Lucid is a more modern molten chrome while the EQS is traditional shiny chrome.

so only the $170K or whatever dream version until then?
Whats being produced and delivered now are Dream editions, GT and Touring go into production mid next year and start being delivered Q3. Those are $139k and $95k.

so you trash the eqs about poor materials in places most people won't notice, yet you say it's "more traditionally luxurious" - i don't know what that means.
What is it about the EQS that makes you so defensive about it?

I did not TRASH the EQS lol. I pointed out, correctly, that there are low quality hard plastics in the interior in places that really surprised me and that overall the material choices are more similar to the E Class than the S Class. Just because others may not be as detail oriented as I am about those things and not notice, or not care doesn't mean that they aren't real or that they don't matter. All of us buy really expensive cars for different reasons, and a super high quality interior is one of my big ones. The EQS is not a peer to an S Class inside, the Air is moreso it just has a very different feel. The Air reminds me of a mixture between an Audi A8 and a Porsche Panamara in terms of interior design and material choices.

Theres a distinct difference between what is "traditionally luxurious" and what is a more modern take on luxury. Your LC500 for example is much more modern, as is an LS500. S Classes are very traditional. Lincolns are very traditional. Lots of shiny chrome bits, shiny wood and acres of wood, lots of embellished stitching that draws attention to itself, flat, rounded traditional interior panels. The Lucid is more like an Audi, Porsche or Volvo in how its luxurious. Much less trim, harder lines, much less embellishment Its hard to describe but its clearly different.

can't imagine you wanting a car without air after having it.
I would have a hard time imagining that too. I did like the way your G90 rode without an air suspension.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-30-21 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-30-21, 10:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,754 Posts

it's a unique combination of boring and tacky chrome.
I think if the Taurus looked anything like the Lucid, it would still be around today. I agree with Steve, it looks very Euro influenced in its design, although I will admit, I am in no way as detailed oriented as him. All I really remember when I saw one up close and sat in it is it had excellent build quality and was very comfortable!
Old 12-30-21, 12:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's not really the performance that I really care about, once your 0 to 60's exceed 4 seconds, what's the difference if it does it in 3 or 2 seconds. My most important wants...1) Range 2) Charging times 3) Comfort and 4) Size. Although I currently drive an IS350, I like bigger sized cars that have comfortable seating, both front and back.

Next time your in my neck of the woods, lunch is on me!
The weight and difficulty of breathing, the sheer shock factor of a sub 2 second 0-60 launch is unreal. If the car can also carry that to a sub 9 1/4 or perform a sub 5 second 60-130 it's awesome. A sub 4 second 60-130 is one hell of an experience, it's very hard to convey just how much and how quickly everything blurs out.

functionally though you're right. Sub 4 is stupid fast and way more than most people ever drive, however I'm getting bored of mid 3s already. Power corrupts, don't start down that path unless you are ready to end up with something with 10+ cylinders and twins shoving 15+ in.
Old 12-30-21, 12:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
The weight and difficulty of breathing, the sheer shock factor of a sub 2 second 0-60 launch is unreal. If the car can also carry that to a sub 9 1/4 or perform a sub 5 second 60-130 it's awesome. A sub 4 second 60-130 is one hell of an experience, it's very hard to convey just how much and how quickly everything blurs out.

functionally though you're right. Sub 4 is stupid fast and way more than most people ever drive, however I'm getting bored of mid 3s already. Power corrupts, don't start down that path unless you are ready to end up with something with 10+ cylinders and twins shoving 15+ in.
I've always been fine with 5 second 0 to 60, which is what my IS350 currently does. I drove as a passenger in my brother in laws Model S and 3.3 seconds made me dizzy and my stomach hurt! When I was in Dubai in 2017 for a friends wedding, I drove several exotics (which are as common as Camry's there) including a Huracan and almost crashed it! That much power just scares the crap out of me. I'm more about stability and smooth power, even if it in the sub or above 5 second range.

Yep, power does corrupt, but thankfully at my age (54) I've past that stage. A guy I know started with a 10th gen Si, and has blown an engine, one transmission, and a head trying to get to 600 whp (he's around 575 right now). I asked him why he doesn't stop, and he told me he's compelled to keep going now that he's reached this far
Old 12-30-21, 02:15 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Interesting talk on 0-60 times which leads me to ask a question. A couple of weeks ago I was next to a Tesla3 at a light and when it turned green he took off like a bullet. Going 0-60 in 2 or 3 seconds (or 4) can a person judge if a pedestrian is crossing the street up ahead, be able to stop without hitting them? I ask as this was a 4 lane urban road which has shops/stores on either side of which people do cross to shop. I'm not discussing whether their crossing is legal/illegal, within a crosswalk, etc., but whether these vehicles and/or drivers would be able to stop in time or at least avoid hitting someone. As these vehicles become more common I can see where this could become an issue.
Old 12-30-21, 02:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jer
Interesting talk on 0-60 times which leads me to ask a question. A couple of weeks ago I was next to a Tesla3 at a light and when it turned green he took off like a bullet. Going 0-60 in 2 or 3 seconds (or 4) can a person judge if a pedestrian is crossing the street up ahead, be able to stop without hitting them? I ask as this was a 4 lane urban road which has shops/stores on either side of which people do cross to shop. I'm not discussing whether their crossing is legal/illegal, within a crosswalk, etc., but whether these vehicles and/or drivers would be able to stop in time or at least avoid hitting someone. As these vehicles become more common I can see where this could become an issue.
Nobody should drive fast regardless of car they drive in areas where people are constantly crossing. Reaction time goes down the faster you are driving. One night I was coming home and a Opossum decided to cross in front of me, I was only going 40 but couldn't react fast enough and the poor thing ended up crushed under my car, which is low to the ground
Old 12-30-21, 02:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I've never launched when there are pedestrians around...thats pretty reckless. Launching at on-ramps and non-pedestrian roads is fine. I can't speak for anyone else though but I hope people are mindful of their car's capabilities. The Model 3 has excellent brakes and really good stopping distances and the emergency braking for pedestrians is there but you never know...
Old 12-30-21, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jer

I mentioned that somewhat in my own Tesla3 full-review. I stated then (and still do) that, even with electronic driving-aids, these are not cars for careless, inattentive, or immature drivers. I grew up with classic American muscle-cars over a half-century ago, and the 3, even with extra-drag AWD, will smoke all of them except (maybe)? the small 427 AC-Cobra. With a strong battery charge, and a heavy foot, they take off so quickly from a stop or a slow-roll that if you aren't 100% concentrated on what is (or could be) in front of you, such as other traffic, deer/animals, kids, or other obstacles, you could get into serious trouble in the space of just a couple of seconds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-21 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-30-21, 03:20 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
you can make similar arguments, though, about other aspects of vehicle performance. Bigger, extremely heavy trucks for example generally can't brake in an emergency nearly as well as smaller, lighter vehicles and are likely to cause much more damage when there's an impact. At some point it all just boils down to it doesn't really matter what you drive if you are considerate of others and don't drive like a douche. You can't just look at one class of car or one dimension of performance in isolation as extreme acceleration is not necessarily any more of a risk than high mass, poor brake performance, lack of agility and so on. It really does all boil down to not driving like an idiot.
Old 12-30-21, 03:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I mentioned that somewhat in my own Tesla3 full-review. I stated then (and still do) that, even with electronic driving-aids, these are not cars for careless, inattentive, or immature drivers. I grew up with classic American muscle-cars over a half-century ago, and the 3, even with extra-drag AWD, will smoke all of them except (maybe)? the 427 AC-Cobra. With a strong battery charge, and a heavy foot, they take off so quickly from a stop or s slow-roll that if you aren't 100% concentrated on what is (or could be) in front of you, such as other traffic, deer/animals, kids, or other obstacles, you could get into serious trouble in the space of just a couple of seconds.
The Tesla would smoke the Cobra too.
Old 12-30-21, 05:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I've always been fine with 5 second 0 to 60, which is what my IS350 currently does. I drove as a passenger in my brother in laws Model S and 3.3 seconds made me dizzy and my stomach hurt! When I was in Dubai in 2017 for a friends wedding, I drove several exotics (which are as common as Camry's there) including a Huracan and almost crashed it! That much power just scares the crap out of me. I'm more about stability and smooth power, even if it in the sub or above 5 second range.

Yep, power does corrupt, but thankfully at my age (54) I've past that stage. A guy I know started with a 10th gen Si, and has blown an engine, one transmission, and a head trying to get to 600 whp (he's around 575 right now). I asked him why he doesn't stop, and he told me he's compelled to keep going now that he's reached this far
Tell him to put a B series in it or fully build a K20 already lol! He is really asking a lot for that setup as is.....might want to consider moving to another platform at this point.

How did you get your IS to 5 seconds? That's a good bit faster than stock

Quick Reply: Lucid Air