EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-22, 08:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You mean the weird clamshell way the trunk opens and that line?
Yes, that line. You see it on a white model
Old 01-02-22, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

Old 01-02-22, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looking for those pics I also found this which illustrates what I was talking about in regards to space. They have been able to fit flagship like interior room into a vehicle that is a foot shorter than a flagship sedan:

Old 01-02-22, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Looking for those pics I also found this which illustrates what I was talking about in regards to space. They have been able to fit flagship like interior room into a vehicle that is a foot shorter than a flagship sedan:

Good illustration. I haven't sat in BMW or Lucid. To me, the Mercedes styling looks better than both. The legacy brands have crossovers that fit the need in case someone wants more space and headroom. That is how I see it.
Old 01-02-22, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good illustration. I haven't sat in BMW or Lucid. To me, the Mercedes styling looks better than both. The legacy brands have crossovers that fit the need in case someone wants more space and headroom. That is how I see it.
Except that if you like sedans like I do, a crossover isn't a replacement for a sedan really. I'm happy to see these startup EV companies selling sedans and doing very well with them.
Old 01-02-22, 08:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Except that if you like sedans like I do, a crossover isn't a replacement for a sedan really. I'm happy to see these startup EV companies selling sedans and doing very well with them.
I agree. But you are in a group of fans of sedans that is getting smaller and smaller every day.

I'm happy to see these startup EV companies selling sedans and doing very well with them.
These start ups have no chance selling in the crossover space as the segment is so hot and so competitive. Automakers put a ton of research into all of this.
Old 01-02-22, 08:29 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Same here - I couldn't care less about any crossover - give me a hatchback sedan like a Model S, and I have all my space/practicality needs met. Now if only a Panamera was an EV, I'd be all over it! Space, practicality, EV smoothness, beautiful car, high quality ..... I'd be in heaven.
Old 01-02-22, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. But you are in a group of fans of sedans that is getting smaller and smaller every day.
No doubt.

These start ups have no chance selling in the crossover space as the segment is so hot and so competitive. Automakers put a ton of research into all of this.
The Tesla Model Y and X before it would disagree. They will do just as well in the crossover space. Bear in mind their design teams are made up of people poached from legacy carmakers, its not like everybody is out there trying to reinvent the wheel.
Old 01-02-22, 08:33 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

No doubt.The Tesla Model Y and X before it would disagree. They will do just as well in the crossover space. Bear in mind their design teams are made up of people poached from legacy carmakers, its not like everybody is out there trying to reinvent the wheel.
What a crazy statement. Model Y came into a hot segment and became a best seller overnight. It will outsell the Rav 4 in 2022. Lol
Old 01-02-22, 08:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Tesla Model Y and X before it would disagree. They will do just as well in the crossover space. Bear in mind their design teams are made up of people poached from legacy carmakers, its not like everybody is out there trying to reinvent the wheel.
But Tesla is not a start up. Their crossovers are not Teslas strength, it is model 3 that Tesla does so well with. Lucid would get killed trying to make money by offering a crossover as their first model. Toyota on the other hand will do very well with their bXr
Old 01-02-22, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
What a crazy statement. Model Y came into a hot segment and became a best seller overnight. It will outsell the Rav 4 in 2022. Lol
Totally crazy
Old 01-02-22, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

absolutely hideous and impractical design. tesla wins with huge hatchback design on model s.

yeah, no front engine helps.

taking those lengths minus interior compartments you have:
123, 111, 125.

yet, traditional lux sedan flagship fans such as yourself talk about 'presence' and 'traditional' styling, you're often thinking of a long hood and just a long vehicle. so i think (so far) the new EV large sedans don't have as much visual impact. you've said the EQS is more like what an EQE should be, but i think that's because of the same reasons you're pointing out here on the lucid.

I'm happy to see these startup EV companies selling sedans and doing very well with them.
we don't know if lucid is doing very well... unclear how many they've shipped, but guessing it just a few hundred. tesla seems to be shipping VERY few model s for now at least.

Old 01-02-22, 09:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree on the trunk design for sure. With that said I don’t like hatchbacks. I carry a bunch of stuff in my trunk and I don’t want it rolling around in the passenger compartment.

As for the styling, it’s different and the proportions are different. I’m not against different, I just think the EQS is ugly and I think this is attractive. I don’t necessarily need an EV sedan to be the same form factor as a flagship sedan, but I do need to really like how it looks.

My frustration with the EQS has diminished once I spent some time with it and kind of had the realization that it really wasn’t going to be the replacement for the S Class. I have no doubt we will see a new generation of the S Class that incorporates its traditional look and feel with modern EV design improvements. My comments about the EQS being more similar to an E Class are only based on interior materials and options/standard equipment, nothing to do with size or design.

To be clear about startups doing well, I mean Tesla. Remains to be seen about Lucid, but given the enthusiasm I saw in that store, I am optimistic.
Old 01-02-22, 09:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I agree on the trunk design for sure. With that said I don’t like hatchbacks. I carry a bunch of stuff in my trunk and I don’t want it rolling around in the passenger compartment.

As for the styling, it’s different and the proportions are different. I’m not against different, I just think the EQS is ugly and I think this is attractive. I don’t necessarily need an EV sedan to be the same form factor as a flagship sedan, but I do need to really like how it looks.

My frustration with the EQS has diminished once I spent some time with it and kind of had the realization that it really wasn’t going to be the replacement for the S Class. I have no doubt we will see a new generation of the S Class that incorporates its traditional look and feel with modern EV design improvements. My comments about the EQS being more similar to an E Class are only based on interior materials and options/standard equipment, nothing to do with size or design.

To be clear about startups doing well, I mean Tesla. Remains to be seen about Lucid, but given the enthusiasm I saw in that store, I am optimistic.
I carry a lot of stuff in my trunk and none of it rolls around in the passenger compartment as there are three compartments in the trunk. One is towards the rear (covered) and two more on either sides also at the rear.

I carry a spare charger cable and a bunch of charging plugs, two tripods, a bunch of other camera gear (various mounts etc).
Old 01-02-22, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

With that said I don’t like hatchbacks. I carry a bunch of stuff in my trunk and I don’t want it rolling around in the passenger compartment.
doesn't have to roll around - both my SUV and coupe have cargo 'nets' plus the suv has several compartments under the floor which are great. besides that, a regular trunk is no guarantee that things won't roll around, they still have to be anchored or constrained in many cases unless there's compartments.

My frustration with the EQS has diminished once I spent some time with it and kind of had the realization that it really wasn’t going to be the replacement for the S Class.
if it had been a replacement, the W223 would be gone i guess, but that would have made no sense. it is to introduce to the world a bold new statement of technology and direction.

I have no doubt we will see a new generation of the S Class that incorporates its traditional look and feel with modern EV design improvements.
an s-class to date has been an s-class because it's big with a long hood, but other than that they've changed GREATLY through each generation. when it finally goes EV, unless there's a need for it to be as big/long as today, i don't think it will be, so it won't be 'traditional'. i also think mercedes will use less and less leather and maybe option it with none because other than you, most people either don't care about leather in invisible places and more and more would prefer no leather.

could be more curiosity than enthusiasm. i don't see many plonking down 170 large for that thing.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air