EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-22, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
doesn't have to roll around - both my SUV and coupe have cargo 'nets' plus the suv has several compartments under the floor which are great. besides that, a regular trunk is no guarantee that things won't roll around, they still have to be anchored or constrained in many cases unless there's compartments.
I've owned many sedans and hatchbacks, I'm confident in my opinion but thanks. Don't like hatchbacks and prefer a trunk, sorry. You can like a hatchback.

an s-class to date has been an s-class because it's big with a long hood, but other than that they've changed GREATLY through each generation. when it finally goes EV, unless there's a need for it to be as big/long as today, i don't think it will be, so it won't be 'traditional'. i also think mercedes will use less and less leather and maybe option it with none because other than you, most people either don't care about leather in invisible places and more and more would prefer no leather.
So, "other than me" yet your opinion is what most people prefer? I'm the only person who still likes a traditional luxury experience with leather and nice materials. Got it.

could be more curiosity than enthusiasm. i don't see many plonking down 170 large for that thing.
I was there and you weren't, I can judge enthusiasm vs curiosity. And again, Dream edition reservations are closed, and theres a waitlist. People are buying them, believe it or not.

Why don't you go look at some of these cars and post your thoughts instead of spending so much energy telling me why mine are wrong when you haven't even seen either car in person?

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-02-22 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've owned many sedans and hatchbacks, I'm confident in my opinion but thanks. Don't like hatchbacks and prefer a trunk, sorry. You can like a hatchback.
You are one of many perfect examples of why the sedan market (even for large luxury sedans) is in fact not dead, even considering the attempts of so many in the industry and marketing to declare it so.

However, to be honest, the trunk-lids on most of what are today called "sedans" are a joke. The obsession with aerodynamics and trying to style today's sedans like 4-door coupes, with sharply-raked rooflines and short rear overhangs, has led to very small trunk-lids and narrow openings that make it difficult to load bulky items, even if the rest of the trunk inside could hold them. That is one reason, among many, why so many people are buying crossovers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You are one of many perfect examples of why the sedan market (even for large luxury sedans) is in fact not dead, even considering the attempts of so many in the industry and marketing to declare it so.
Yep, not dead. Wounded...I mean, I get it...there are fewer and fewer buyers like me and carmakers are designing cars differently and that makes sense...that doesn't make my preferences wrong though. Even if one day I do go to a crossover, that doesn't mean there aren't aspects of its design that I won't care for, and the open cargo area vs a trunk is one of them

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-02-22 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

That is a very ugly design. Hard to believe I’m saying about a freaking trunk They said, very functional and nice useful, but ugly for $170k car
Old 01-02-22, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is a very ugly design. Hard to believe I’m saying about a freaking trunk They said, very functional and nice useful, but ugly for $170k car

Part of that is the obsession, which I've mentioned in other posts and threads, of automakers trying to make recent sedans look like coupes. It strongly affects the shape/size and efficiency of the trunk lid.
Old 01-02-22, 02:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Part of that is the obsession, which I've mentioned in other posts and threads, of automakers trying to make recent sedans look like coupes. It strongly affects the shape/size and efficiency of the trunk lid.
I know. There has to be some critique of something at that price.

Hideous

This is nice. And it is properly finished
Old 01-02-22, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Lucid's trunk is very nicely finished, it is just a strange design I totally agree. Still...I'd rather have that than a hatchback.
Old 01-02-22, 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i like the trunk because it makes it more usable than traditional sedan. Putting charging cables in the trunk is something that non-EV companies do, where engineers never owned EV so they are thinking frunk is a gimmick.

I just had a nice 1000 mile trip with my Model 3P (multi point) and i really would have hated it if I had to take my cables from rear trunk under space, and not from the frunk. It would mean i would have to take all the luggage out first. Which would not happen, so I would skip level 2 charging on this trip. Oops.

That is the problem with non-EV makers, they do not have experience of owning EV.

With Tesla, and now Lucid and Rivian, you see them thinking free of constraints of traditional ice platforms. They have huge trunks, frunks, they have flat floors, storage spaces everywhere (check out Rivian, amazing!).

Yes, they will be eventually copied by other car makers, but that is life.
Old 01-02-22, 02:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

The Lucid's trunk is very nicely finished, it is just a strange design I totally agree. Still...I'd rather have that than a hatchback.
sedans have this huge bonus in NVH and rigidity too.
Old 01-02-22, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those are really good points, and something I never thought of either not owning an EV myself.
Old 01-02-22, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
sedans have this huge bonus in NVH and rigidity too.

In general, that's true, but there are some exceptions. Buick, Lincoln, Lexus (1Gen NX excluded), and some other upmarket crossovers have good NVH isolation. The rigidity of some unibody sedans (virtually all sedans are unibody nowadays) can depend on if the rear seats fold down, or, if they do fold down, on what kind of structure supports it. Sedans that have rear seats that don't fold sometimes have more rigidity because they have more of a beam-structure across that area supporting them.
Old 01-02-22, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My preference is trunk with fixed (non folding) rear seats.
Old 01-02-22, 03:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I think the Lucid's trunk works on the car. EV's are a new era for cars, and Lucid being a new brand can pull off something a little unique and different than the traditional trunk or hatch.
Old 01-02-22, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My preference is trunk with fixed (non folding) rear seats.
In hybrids and EVs, the placement and shape/size of the battery-pack can also determine how roomy or efficient the trunk is.
Old 01-02-22, 03:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

In general, that's true, but there are some exceptions. Buick, Lincoln, Lexus (1Gen NX excluded), and some other upmarket crossovers have good NVH isolation. The rigidity of some unibody sedans (virtually all sedans are unibody nowadays) can depend on if the rear seats fold down, or, if they do fold down, on what kind of structure supports it. Sedans that have rear seats that don't fold sometimes have more rigidity because they have more of a beam-structure across that area supporting them.
On my two Lexus sedans the rear seats didn't fold, and they were pretty solid - Both had the pass through. Recently I've had three German sedans with rear seats that fold down. The seat back structures and latches were very stout, and you could tell that they were designed to maintain body stiffness. I like having the option of being able to fold down the rear seatbacks.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air