EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Just watched the smoking tire video of the car, and boy it really sounds like it’s right up my alley. Their descriptions of the ride describe just how I like a car to ride.

Old 01-03-22, 08:41 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just watched the smoking tire video of the car, and boy it really sounds like it’s right up my alley. Their descriptions of the ride describe just how I like a car to ride.

https://youtu.be/slxrKE1OiS0
Matt Farah is one of the most narrow minded reviewers I've watched. Very biased generally against EVs and seems to be a half wit.
Old 01-04-22, 04:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Matt Farah is one of the most narrow minded reviewers I've watched. Very biased generally against EVs and seems to be a half wit.
haha... it was a bit like watching homer simpson review a car.

he may be biased against ev's (i don't know) but he really liked the lucid. for $170-180K, he should.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-04-22 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-04-22, 08:37 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure about all that. Lol

He is one of the few YouTubers that can actually properly drive a high performance car. He also does a great job in describing how the car feels and what purpose it serves. How it compares to the competition etc. His review of the LC500 is amazing. A lot of other reviewers just use same adjectives in each review without actually explaining how the car feels and what makes it different than competitors.

I was surprised he like the Lucid so much but it maybe bec he just hates Tesla.
He owns a MachE I believe.
Old 01-04-22, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But his review was extremely positive...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
he may be biased against ev's (i don't know) but he really liked the lucid. for $170-180K, he should.
The cheaper versions are promised the same experience, we'll see.
Old 01-04-22, 08:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

He is one of the few YouTubers that can actually properly drive a high performance car. He also does a great job in describing how the car feels and what purpose it serves. How it compares to the competition etc. His review of the LC500 is amazing. A lot of other reviewers just use same adjectives in each review without actually explaining how the car feels and what makes it different than competitors.

I saw his review of the Model 3, and if I remember correctly he liked it
Old 01-04-22, 08:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

He just doesn't like Tesla. Haha. It's okay...lots of other good drivers do like it like Randy Pobst. It's personal preference thing like all other cars.
Old 01-04-22, 11:45 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I listened in on his podcast over the holiday with Doug Demuro and he expanded on his view of Tesla after Doug pressed him. In short, he likes the cars and thinks they are decent, but hates the company.

Im liking the Lucid more and more. Like many other ppl, the base versions of this car is what I am really looking forward to seeing how they perform. I have no interest in the top of the line model. But something that can get 400mi of range at around 60-70k in a luxurious package is definitely more my speed. Also looking forward to the incoming SUV as well.
Old 01-04-22, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I listened in on his podcast over the holiday with Doug Demuro and he expanded on his view of Tesla after Doug pressed him. In short, he likes the cars and thinks they are decent, but hates the company.
but why?

Im liking the Lucid more and more. Like many other ppl, the base versions of this car is what I am really looking forward to seeing how they perform. I have no interest in the top of the line model. But something that can get 400mi of range at around 60-70k in a luxurious package is definitely more my speed.
60-70k? used maybe. i think the lowest they talked about was 80? regardless, not that i want one, but i'll likely be pushing up daisies by the time they get a 'base' model shipping.

Also looking forward to the incoming SUV as well.
2030?
Old 01-05-22, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So much negativity. Its an upstart carmaker, give them some time. Look how long it took Tesla to start delivering Model Ss...
Old 01-05-22, 07:44 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

So much negativity. Its an upstart carmaker, give them some time. Look how long it took Tesla to start delivering Model Ss...
Difference is Model S was a revolutionary car, nothing like it ever existed.

There is really nothing unique about Lucid that you can’t have today in a Model S, EQS, Taycan and many other new products on the way.

If it was priced at $70-80k for AWD version then maybe I could see its appeal but at $150k for a no-name brand that will have a bunch of teething issues. Why bother when there are better/cheaper alternatives. What do you get with Lucid that is better compared to EQS580 or ModelS? Nothing

It also doesn’t move the needle much in design with awkward proportions that are a mixture of Buick and Lincoln Continental.

That’s not to mention lack of dealer support to resolve issues and ofcourse charging network. Maybe the Saudi billions will solve all this but chances of them surviving long term are miniscule.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-05-22 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-05-22, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whether it was revolutionary or not, this is a startup and getting things to market takes time. What you get thats better is range, and better interior packaging, and from what the reviews have shown a better driving experience. I personally think the car is better looking than either the EQS or the Model S. Taycan can't come anywhere close in range and its MUCH smaller inside.

You're going to have to accept that as EVs become more widespread, every new one that comes out is not going to be "revolutionary". If Lucid can create a great product that takes hold and sells and adds to the competition, then thats enough.

If I were to buy an EV right now, I really think I would buy a Lucid Air. Not the Dream edition, but I would buy a $139k Grand Touring edition.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-05-22 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-05-22, 08:07 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Styling aside - I don’t think its a better product than EQS or ModelS nor will it be as reliable than either.

The increased range and additional power are negligible at this point and come at a significant price difference.
Put in consideration all the other negatives of a startup and there is just not a compelling reason to buy one unless you want to be unique.
Old 01-05-22, 08:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Styling aside - I don’t think its a better product than EQS or ModelS nor will it be as reliable than either.

The increased range and additional power are negligible at this point and come at a significant price difference.
Put in consideration all the other negatives of a startup and there is just not a compelling reason to buy one unless you want to be unique.
I just don't agree. The Model S is an old design and the yoke alone disqualifies it for me. The EQS doesn't interest me at all. The range is anything but negligible, its the difference between me being able to confidently take a 350 mile trip in my car and not. The range of the Lucid is at the point where I would consider an EV, the Model S and the EQS aren't there yet. Power doesn't really move the needle for me, its the range.

As for reliability, Tesla has a TON of problems with reliability and quality. You wont have that issue with the EQS, but I hate the way the car looks and it lacks the range I would want. I trade cars every 3 years, whatever I would get isn't forever. Startups also work a lot harder to help customers and keep their satisfaction high...

The compelling reason to me is, out of whats available its what I like the most and it has the best range. Like I said, it wouldnt be my car for 10 years...
Old 01-05-22, 08:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I just don't agree. The Model S is an old design and the yoke alone disqualifies it for me. The EQS doesn't interest me at all. The range is anything but negligible, its the difference between me being able to confidently take a 350 mile trip in my car and not. The range of the Lucid is at the point where I would consider an EV, the Model S and the EQS aren't there yet. Power doesn't really move the needle for me, its the range.

As for reliability, Tesla has a TON of problems with reliability and quality. You wont have that issue with the EQS, but I hate the way the car looks and it lacks the range I would want. I trade cars every 3 years, whatever I would get isn't forever. Startups also work a lot harder to help customers and keep their satisfaction high...

The compelling reason to me is, out of what's available its what I like the most and it has the best range. Like I said, it wouldnt be my car for 10 years...
I totally agree with you, the range alone is a selling point. I wouldn't buy the top of the line Dream, but if the Air pure was available in 6 months I would have jumped on it

Quick Reply: Lucid Air