EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 07:16 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

As long as it's pricy and out of the reach of the lower classes people will buy them to self gratify their egos. Same way everything has always been, just a different vehicle to do so this time around.
Old 01-07-22, 07:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It's a good article because it articulated well the skepticism surrounding Lucid. It's the reboot of the Tesla origin story so will always be compared to the original. Is the reboot better...perhaps. The main character is more powerful, more polished, but may lack the originals charm. I think the only serious mistake they made was the character casting...it's not beautiful enough for the price. The original Model S was striking...a beauty pageant winner and instantly made it aspirational. I just don't get the same vibes from the Air.
Old 01-07-22, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's a good article because it articulated well the skepticism surrounding Lucid. It's the reboot of the Tesla origin story so will always be compared to the original. Is the reboot better...perhaps. The main character is more powerful, more polished, but may lack the originals charm. I think the only serious mistake they made was the character casting...it's not beautiful enough for the price. The original Model S was striking...a beauty pageant winner and instantly made it aspirational. I just don't get the same vibes from the Air.
excellent post!

not surprising it's a tesla do-over because the top guy came from tesla. sounds like they did some very impressive engineering though. the range is very good (class leading) and the performance is amazing (except tesla plaid).

a model s has an air suspension, the lucid does not. the model s has a more sophisticated auto pilot and 'full self-driving' (that isn't full self driving, and isn't perfect but still remarkable within its limitations).

but i agree the lucid's looks are just so meh...
Old 01-07-22, 07:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

They have been advertising like crazy over the last year here in Miami, billboards all around town. Only finally just before I left for Christmas to DC for 2 weeks did I see them finally come down. Sigh.
Old 01-07-22, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
They have been advertising like crazy over the last year here in Miami, billboards all around town. Only finally just before I left for Christmas to DC for 2 weeks did I see them finally come down. Sigh.
you're sighing because you didn't want them to come down, or you did?
Old 01-07-22, 07:56 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I think Lucid will attract the same type of people who bought the Fisker Karma. So long as they don't torpedo themselves like Fisker did, they might be able to expand from that.
Old 01-07-22, 08:02 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Need proof? Watch any Tech Bro sidle up to a bar, their Amazon work badge still attached to the outside of their vest, hours after their day has ended. What do they drive away in?

It's a Tesla, Lucid's biggest competitor in the luxury electric space. While Lucid will tell you they don't compete with Tesla, it's hard to imagine an automaker they need to draw more customers away from. Tesla is not a tech company, despite a popular line to the contrary. It's a luxury lifestyle brand; Nobody talks about their Macbook with the same reverence Tesla buyers reserve for the Model S
this is where things miss the mark. He’s comparing a readily available thing with an unavailable thing and making using the “see, no one has a Lucid” disparity as the supporting evidence for his argument. So it’s premature at best. And he’s missing the mark on the next example regarding a MacBook, because that’s one product that does get put on a pedestal. And to follow his own example, the myriad tech workers I know who have Teslas here in Silicon Valley have them because of the tech, not because it’s a “luxury lifestyle brand”. Only time will tell if he is right, but if he is it won’t be for the reasons he thinks. Failure to scale will kill Lucid, not any lack of brand appeal. So let’s see if they can indeed scale.

Old 01-07-22, 08:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're sighing because you didn't want them to come down, or you did?
I was having LUCID dreams. A few times over the past months, those Lucid signs would show up in a few of my dreams.
Old 01-07-22, 08:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Great article and fully illustrated my thoughts on Lucid.
I just don’t see what they offer that is so compelling and I was turned off by seeing it in person.

Also this notion that wealthy people don’t want opulence anymore and want minimalism is overblown.
Old 01-07-22, 08:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Ha. I live close to that outdoor mall he's referencing in that article. I'm a bit more positive on Lucid though, if they can get this SUV out and solve these early issues quickly I'd say they have a chance. With the Saudi investment I doubt they'll be bought out by another automaker but that would be the best case scenario imo.
Old 01-07-22, 08:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
... the myriad tech workers I know who have Teslas here in Silicon Valley have them because of the tech, not because it’s a “luxury lifestyle brand”.
what tech specifically? drivetrain (now has competition), ability to play video games, over the air updates (everyone will have this), "full self driving" option, tech 'hype' (like summon that's pretty useless), or something else?

not taking away from the fact that tesla did in fact, deliver before anyone else, has first mover advantage, so i can see techies wanting it, plus i just think it's 'different' in many ways that it became branding for the technically hip.

Failure to scale will kill Lucid, not any lack of brand appeal. So let’s see if they can indeed scale.
sales have to follow scale too, and selling large volumes of 6 figure sedans of any kind isn't a given. and lucid will need to sell a TON of them to make money. i don't see it personally, but maybe the suv will come along quickly and be more special/desirable, but i expect it to looks like a tall air.
Old 01-07-22, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

a model s has an air suspension, the lucid does not.
But from reviews the Lucid rides and drives better. I've driven a Model S on air suspension, the ride is nothing to write home about. Its not as simple as just having an air suspension or not...its the engineering and design that goes into the suspension. For instance, would I rather drive a Cadillac DTS on air suspension or a Lexus LS400 or LS430 on coil suspension? The LS on coils rides much better than the DTS on air. Your Genesis G90 with coils rode much better than the previous Hyundai Equus on air.

I think the issue is you are looking at this from a car perspective vs a tech perspective. People will absolutely buy the Lucid BECAUSE it is different. Teslas have become ubiquitous, they are everywere. You pull up to the curb in a Lucid Air, it will get a TON of attention where a Model S Plaid won't. Millennials don't care about legacy brands the way we do and older generations do, and Tesla is now more a part of that legacy than an upstart like Lucid.
Old 01-07-22, 08:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think the issue is you are looking at this from a car perspective vs a tech perspective. People will absolutely buy the Lucid BECAUSE it is different. Teslas have become ubiquitous, they are everywere. You pull up to the curb in a Lucid Air, it will get a TON of attention where a Model S Plaid won't. Millennials don't care about legacy brands the way we do and older generations do, and Tesla is now more a part of that legacy than an upstart like Lucid.
Tech people love Tesla for its cool features that are completely different than ICE cars and Elon is their Prophet.

Lucid looks like a Buick, has zero cool tech features, and interior is very conventional. It just doesn’t have a hip vibe to it even the hideous beige launch color. What were they thinking?!
Old 01-07-22, 08:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

It's a Tesla, Lucid's biggest competitor in the luxury electric space. While Lucid will tell you they don't compete with Tesla, it's hard to imagine an automaker they need to draw more customers away from. Tesla is not a tech company, despite a popular line to the contrary. It's a luxury lifestyle brand; Nobody talks about their Macbook with the same reverence Tesla buyers reserve for the Model S.

But what is it, exactly, that Tesla buyers are so latched on to? They view themselves as first adopters, clever consumers, climate warriors, and techno-futurists. Some of that pride is surely rooted in the belief that a Tesla is a better mousetrap, and for many buyers, it is. All of that speaks to this idea of "post-luxury" as forward-thinking altruism.

More than just saving the turtles, Tesla owners are broadcasting those perceived values to others. Social awareness is indeed both virtue and commodity in 2021. And for the better part of the last decade, a certain segment of our population has decided that the best way to signal all the right virtues was to park a Tesla in front of their energy-efficient Silicon Valley condo. In that way, the "post-luxury" idea is identical to whatever brand of stuffy luxury Lucid aims to shoot down, even if it looks and feels a lot different.

Post-luxury represents a contemporary change in taste, not a fundamental change in values. And taste has always changed with the wind.
This is jarring proof the author has zero understanding of Tesla, Lucid and where the auto market is heading in general. People love Tesla's because they are great cars with great tech and the fierce loyalty is borne of that not of some desperate need to virtue signal. Lucid is trying to tap into the same market as Tesla and would be wildly succeeding if they could make their cars in volume.

tl;dr this author is a dinosaur stuck in the past.
Old 01-07-22, 08:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

what tech specifically? drivetrain (now has competition), ability to play video games, over the air updates (everyone will have this), "full self driving" option, tech 'hype' (like summon that's pretty useless), or something else?

not taking away from the fact that tesla did in fact, deliver before anyone else, has first mover advantage, so i can see techies wanting it, plus i just think it's 'different' in many ways that it became branding for the technically hip.

sales have to follow scale too, and selling large volumes of 6 figure sedans of any kind isn't a given. and lucid will need to sell a TON of them to make money. i don't see it personally, but maybe the suv will come along quickly and be more special/desirable, but i expect it to looks like a tall air.
Tesla also moves much faster than most auto companies. The Plaid was a direct answer to Taycan's brief performance advantage and Tesla as a whole is willing to take many many risks in bringing tech early. The tech branding isn't just about having a set of features in the car...its the company's willingness to bring it out to their user base even as a beta product. The techies want Tesla because of the experience of owning it is vastly different than any other manufacturer. Its the reason why Tesla is the most loved brand by owners and probably the most hated by other owners....very polarizing.

If Lucid wants to take sales away from Tesla, can they replicate that experience? Do they have a CEO as risk loving as Elon (franky...Elon is super risk loving)? Time will tell...

Quick Reply: Lucid Air