EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very interesting article.
Nice article Bit I guess R & T has to have a rebuttal for MotorTrend calling the Lucid Air the car of the year. I still stand by my claim in SW's thread that Lucid won't make it.
Old 01-07-22, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nice article Bit I guess R & T has to have a rebuttal for MotorTrend calling the Lucid Air the car of the year. I still stand by my claim in SW's thread that Lucid won't make it.
The numbers are completely not in your favor, so I'm not sure what you are basing that on. Lack of cash? Nope. Pre-orders? Nope. Bad reviews? Nope. Maybe you have some information we don't
Old 01-07-22, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Bingo. It would have been foolish to judge Tesla based on the Roadster's performance. With that SUV, and a smaller Model 3-sized car, Lucid could be more than sustainable.
and no one was expecting Tesla to make it based on the roadster.

But everyone has to start from a low base. Even Tesla. It's easy to forget that Tesla's revenue in 2008 was $15m, in 2009 it was $110m and in 2010 it was $117m. Even 2012, when the Model S launched, was $413m.
that's a dozen years ago. you're basically saying lucid can 'just' be a Tesla all over again. I'd say the circumstances are VASTLY different now. the ENTIRE industry is now aligned against them.

this is the classic 3 stages of a market (Buffett) - there's innovators (Tesla, Rivian), immitators (Lucid, everyone else), and idiots (Stellantis ).

Tesla from the get go was focused on MASS MARKET type products (3, Y and soon 2 and others), with the roadster, S, X as innovative stepping stones. those falcon doors might have been a giant PITA but they gave Tesla MOUNTAINS of 'cool' cred points.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Even Musk stated many times that Tesla made it this far was a miracle.
yup. even apple almost went bankrupt too.

But you have to factor in that Lucid is massively better funded than Tesla ever was. That alone doesn't guarantee success, but it helps. What Musk has done at Tesla was undoubtedly brilliant, but for now I'd caution against underestimating the money behind Lucid (it's from a questionable source, but there is a LOT of it).
yup, saudis have very deep pockets but they could also grow bored at some point and decide to play in some other market.
Old 01-07-22, 11:44 AM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

This is a totally subjective comment, but I think it is a downright ugly car.
Old 01-07-22, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

yup, saudis have very deep pockets but they could also grow bored at some point and decide to play in some other market.
Although today we are not as dependent on the Saudis for crude oil as we once were, probably the easiest way to alienate them is if we convert our entire auto industry to BEVs (or even long-range hybrids). And, as you say, they have LOTS of investment $$$$$.

Even Musk stated many times that Tesla made it this far was a miracle.
Alhough clearly eccentric, Musk is still a lot like Lee Iacocca in that he is a classic smooth-talker, tries to portray an image of invincibility, and is able to attract investment $$$$ like bees to honey.
Old 01-07-22, 11:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although today we are not as dependent on the Saudis for crude oil as we once were, probably the easiest way to alienate them is if we convert our entire auto industry to BEVs (or even long-range hybrids). And, as you say, they have LOTS of investment $$$$$.
One of the reasons the Saudi's are trying to diversify their money outside of oil is because they finally understand that the well is drying. EV's are not their only investment
Old 01-07-22, 11:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

that's a dozen years ago. you're basically saying lucid can 'just' be a Tesla all over again. I'd say the circumstances are VASTLY different now. the ENTIRE industry is now aligned against them.
Wait, what? Is the entire industry aligned against Rivian? Nio? Polestar?
Tesla from the get go was focused on MASS MARKET type products (3, Y and soon 2 and others), with the roadster, S, X as innovative stepping stones. those falcon doors might have been a giant PITA but they gave Tesla MOUNTAINS of 'cool' cred points.
Tesla started with niche, then high end parlayed into mainstream and soon affordable why can't Lucid do this?
Old 01-07-22, 11:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

There are way more companies now competing for EV pie, so getting any traction will be that much harder.
Except that the size of that pie is about to explode.
Old 01-07-22, 12:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla started with niche, then high end parlayed into mainstream and soon affordable why can't Lucid do this?
because catching lightning in a bottle once is hard enough. twice, and this second time while having many competing entitles shooting at you, is a lot harder.

hey I wish lucid well. I hope they succeed! and I'm not saying they're certain to fail.

Old 01-07-22, 12:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

because catching lightning in a bottle once is hard enough. twice, and this second time while having many competing entitles shooting at you, is a lot harder.
Lucid is competition to other auto makers it goes both ways I'm puzzled why you think it's Lucid against everyone else. Also how was the entire industry not against Tesla when they first started selling cars? That was far more difficult since there was little trust in EVs, far less charging infrastructure, higher battery costs and a whole host of challenges.
hey I wish lucid well. I hope they succeed! and I'm not saying they're certain to fail.
I've said before I think their long term chance of surviving is about 50%.
Old 01-07-22, 12:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I've said before I think their long term chance of surviving is about 50%.
I agree with this assessment
Old 01-07-22, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think 50% is reasonable...
Old 01-07-22, 12:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that the size of that pie is about to explode.
Right and guess who is ready to meet the demand?! TESLA.

Lucid - even if they got 1 million orders today - would not be able to handle that type of production capacity for the next 10years.

I think its hilarious that people think building cars and selling them worldwide is like selling clothes.
Old 01-07-22, 12:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think 50% is reasonable...
Stellantis has 50% chance.
Lucid is 10% if they get lucky.

Besides Tesla - what new automaker has had success in any meaningful way? None
Even McLaren which sells cars for 3x the amount Lucid plans to do is close to bankruptcy.

The big 3 have all failed and were saved
The European brands are helped by their governments and So are Japanese brands.

Manufacturing and developing cars is the most capital intensive business there is with very small margins unless you scale production.

Tesla has 2 interiors and no options with 2 mass produced models. Lucid strategy is opposite of this and its just much harder to make it work.
Old 01-07-22, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right and guess who is ready to meet the demand?! TESLA.
So the only company that can meet EV demand is Tesla? Thats just ridiculous.

I think its hilarious that people think building cars and selling them worldwide is like selling clothes.
I don't believe anybody thinks that...but its not as impossible as "legacy automakers" might lead you to believe. A car is a tangible product like everything else.

Stellantis has 50% chance.
Thats completely absurd lol. Stellantis owns many brands that have incredibly popular cars.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air