EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 01:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'm puzzled why you think it's Lucid against everyone else. Also how was the entire industry not against Tesla when they first started selling cars?
let me explain.

when Tesla got going, no one else was selling EVs. as lucid gets going, everyone else either is, or about to be selling lots of different EVs. it's taken what, a decade for lucid to get their first model out, shipping in small quantities. still an impressive feat. to ship that at scale, or add a second or third model, is an enormous and risky undertaking. as you know.

when Tesla did the S and the 3 and the Y, they had ZERO competition. the lucid air is impressive but it's not a game changer. like it or not, it already has competition (EQS) and likely a lot more soon. whatever they do next will no doubt have lots of competition too. yes the market's getting bigger, but with competitors comes many new challenges, impacting decisions, making lucid possibly second guess themselves or change course.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So the only company that can meet EV demand is Tesla? Thats just ridiculous.
scaling supply is really hard. ask no one other than Elon musk. lucid might even become resource supply constrained. yes lucid is building additional manufacturing capacity, but they will go through their own 'hell' getting to thousands and tens of thousands instead of hundreds.

if they don't they'll end up something like Maserati... nice and unique product, but not big volume.
Old 01-07-22, 01:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

So the only company that can meet EV demand is Tesla? Thats just ridiculous.

I don't believe anybody thinks that...but its not as impossible as "legacy automakers" might lead you to believe. A car is a tangible product like everything else.

Thats completely absurd lol. Stellantis owns many brands that have incredibly popular cars.
Tesla will have a huge %. Nobody has a reliable charging network remotely close to Tesla which is crucial to support real growth.
Chinese automakers will take a big pie.
The rest will be divided by legacy automakers.

Stellantis has popular ICE products that are ending production one way or the other. Besides Jeep and Ram, most of the brands are in the red. Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati etc are all in terrible shape. What else is there Peuget, Citroen?! Those are a joke.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-07-22 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-07-22, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
scaling supply is really hard. ask no one other than Elon musk. lucid might even become resource supply constrained. yes lucid is building additional manufacturing capacity, but they will go through their own 'hell' getting to thousands and tens of thousands instead of hundreds.

if they don't they'll end up something like Maserati... nice and unique product, but not big volume.
I don't think thats necessarily a failure...

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
What else is there Peuget, Citroen?! Those are a joke.
Peugeot and Citroen do quite well just not here.
Old 01-07-22, 01:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Peugeot and Citroen do quite well just not here.
Yep, they are popular in Europe. Or at least somewhat popular
Old 01-07-22, 01:43 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Is there anything wrong with that? I'm sure Lucid would love it if they can be perceived as a boutique high-end luxury brand. In fact I think that's what they're aiming for.
Old 01-07-22, 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think thats necessarily a failure...
don't believe I said it would be. but it certainly won't justify the insane stock valuation which is driven by Tesla, not reality.
Old 01-07-22, 02:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Stellantis has 50% chance.
Some of Stellantis' brands have a 50% chance of living, but the whole company? They'll be around for sure.

Stellantis has popular ICE products that are ending production one way or the other. Besides Jeep and Ram, most of the brands are in the red. Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati etc are all in terrible shape. What else is there Peuget, Citroen?! Those are a joke.
Stellantis has a raft of EVs coming starting this year for the U.S. (Maserati) and really picking up speed in 2024-2027 for the other brands. They're going to be OK and they have brands other than Jeep and RAM that are profitable. Not to mention some of their overseas brands already have EVs out.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Is there anything wrong with that? I'm sure Lucid would love it if they can be perceived as a boutique high-end luxury brand. In fact I think that's what they're aiming for.
I'm not convinced that's enough-Maserati at least is under a corporate umbrella. I think Lucid would end up being purchased by another brand and truly another company would benefit from their technology.
Old 01-07-22, 02:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

when Tesla did the S and the 3 and the Y, they had ZERO competition.
Of course they had competition it takes more than just being an EV to have zero competition. Otherwise the Nissan Leaf which beat Tesla to market as a mainstream model would have been a runaway success and Nissan would be the next Tesla.
the lucid air is impressive but it's not a game changer. like it or not, it already has competition (EQS) and likely a lot more soon. whatever they do next will no doubt have lots of competition too. yes the market's getting bigger, but with competitors comes many new challenges, impacting decisions, making lucid possibly second guess themselves or change course.
The EQS has competition in Lucid.
I think Lucid is lying and are not in mass production at all every car is hand built. Will they work it out? The answer to that will decide their fate.
Lucid has never said they have grand plans to sell millions of cars per year I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-07-22, 02:48 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm not convinced that's enough-Maserati at least is under a corporate umbrella. I think Lucid would end up being purchased by another brand and truly another company would benefit from their technology.
Much of Maserati's appeal came from their earlier collaborations with Ferrari, not the cost-cutting cheapness of their recent products under FCA (which aren't selling well either). Lucid being under another corporate umbrella would do them no favors unless they want to scale up volume, which doesn't seem to be their end goal.
Old 01-07-22, 04:44 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Much of Maserati's appeal came from their earlier collaborations with Ferrari, not the cost-cutting cheapness of their recent products under FCA (which aren't selling well either). Lucid being under another corporate umbrella would do them no favors unless they want to scale up volume, which doesn't seem to be their end goal.
Maserati (and Ferrari) were under control of Fiat and Marchionne before FCA was created. There was Fiat switchgear in them before Chrysler switchgear and regardless of their floundering as of late, they're still more profitable then they were previously. Being under a corporate umbrella helps keep down costs and weather storms whether they're low volume or not. There's very few independent boutique brands for this very reason. Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, you name it most of them got purchased. And because Lucid is dipping in the below $100k market eventually and offering a SUV I wouldn't exactly say they're going to be ultra low volume either.
Old 01-07-22, 06:16 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is jarring proof the author has zero understanding of Tesla, Lucid and where the auto market is heading in general. People love Tesla's because they are great cars with great tech and the fierce loyalty is borne of that not of some desperate need to virtue signal. Lucid is trying to tap into the same market as Tesla and would be wildly succeeding if they could make their cars in volume.

tl;dr this author is a dinosaur stuck in the past.
This^^ 👍👍👍 That describes me to a "t". Plus the "buttery smooth, silent, relentless and effortless torque regardless of speed" 😀
Old 01-07-22, 10:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

To answer the question, I would buy one but not the most expensive one, probably the mid priced one. I like the exterior and interior of the car. I do like the more sporty nature of the Model S but I’ve had LS’ before and could see myself in a Lucid in a couple years.
Old 01-18-22, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i merged a bunch of lucid threads...

this new review an interview with a lucid engineer was quite interesting and a different take and perspective. didn't know they'd been quite involved in formula-e for a while for example.

Old 01-18-22, 08:38 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Drag Times just did an excellent video review including 1/4 mile times yesterday. The interior is really nice, I really like it from a luxury EV standpoint and the build quality looks good so far. It will interesting if they survive as it seems a cheaper economy version (think Model 3) would be necessary to keep them afloat by selling more volume than a $100k+ car.
Old 01-18-22, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Drag Times just did an excellent video review including 1/4 mile times yesterday. The interior is really nice, I really like it from a luxury EV standpoint and the build quality looks good so far. It will interesting if they survive as it seems a cheaper economy version (think Model 3) would be necessary to keep them afloat by selling more volume than a $100k+ car.
agreed but if they can ship 10k of the 17k orders @ $150K ea. in a reasonable time frame, that would put 1.5Bn in the coffers... until i did that math i thought it would be more than that... now i don't think it's that much for all that work.

i think they should quietly provide the platform to rolls royce to underpin a rr ev with gobs of sound deadening and the rest of it... would be amazing.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air