EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 09:25 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It’s taken Tesla the best part of ten years to be able to deliver Plaid performance. This is Lucid’s first car. And it’s perfectly possible that current Lucid performance will be enhanced via over the air updates as their engineers get to grips with their hardware and software potential. The Lucid is already more than fast enough, and it’s only a software upgrade away from a further uplift. We’re no longer in a world where your car is as fast as the day it was delivered.
Amen to that
Old 01-20-22, 11:00 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Like what? I do think the interior design of the Tesla is more interesting IMO as well as its less traditional and more forward thinking. I always liked the pre-refresh interior interior of the S.
When I look at the front, the rear and the 3/4 view from the front I think the car looks low and wide and really cool. When I look at the 3/4 view from the rear the rear window area looks a little bulbous to me similar to a Panamera which I personally don't like. Again, nothing significant and just personal preference.
Old 01-20-22, 11:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It’s taken Tesla the best part of ten years to be able to deliver Plaid performance. This is Lucid’s first car. And it’s perfectly possible that current Lucid performance will be enhanced via over the air updates as their engineers get to grips with their hardware and software potential. The Lucid is already more than fast enough, and it’s only a software upgrade away from a further uplift. We’re no longer in a world where your car is as fast as the day it was delivered.
you are still comparing them now if you were to purchase them, and not 10 years from now.

Lucid has a lot of cool things, there isnt that Tesla wow factor though. Things like yoke, tablet screen, auto driving, all so many things that make Tesla special.
Old 01-20-22, 12:01 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you are still comparing them now if you were to purchase them, and not 10 years from now.

Lucid has a lot of cool things, there isnt that Tesla wow factor though. Things like yoke, tablet screen, auto driving, all so many things that make Tesla special.
The current performance gap is closable, likely via OTA. The gap in quality and fit/finish is bigger, and it favors Lucid. Lucid has yet to roll out self driving. It won't be as all over the map as Teslas, because their CEO isn't a child (albeit one who has made me 2500%)
Old 01-20-22, 12:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yoke and tablet are definitely special all right auto driving which is basically regular adaptive cruise control unless you fork out 12k for questionable beta software, which is admittedly, fairly cool.
other things that make tesla special, trim bits and critical parts not aligned, falling off, missing from factory, not painted or dented.

drivetrain is awesome though, and i congratulate tesla on all its success and obviously it appeals to millions. i'm just not there yet.
Old 01-20-22, 12:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
When I look at the front, the rear and the 3/4 view from the front I think the car looks low and wide and really cool. When I look at the 3/4 view from the rear the rear window area looks a little bulbous to me similar to a Panamera which I personally don't like. Again, nothing significant and just personal preference.
I always thought the original design was bulbous. And when they refreshed it, with the plaid version, it doesn’t look as though. But I am not really sure if there is much of a difference. I think the plaid version looks pretty good

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm just not there yet.

Sorry, couldn’t rresist

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-20-22 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Personally, the Lucid is way more appealing to me than the Model S Plaid for several reasons.
Old 01-20-22, 12:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yoke and tablet are definitely special all right auto driving which is basically regular adaptive cruise control unless you fork out 12k for questionable beta software, which is admittedly, fairly cool.
other things that make tesla special, trim bits and critical parts not aligned, falling off, missing from factory, not painted or dented.

drivetrain is awesome though, and i congratulate tesla on all its success and obviously it appeals to millions. i'm just not there yet.
Is this on topic? I can never tell sometimes you warn people to stay on topic other times threads are all over the place and we have posts like yours. I personally think it's fine hard to discuss things in a vacuum.
Old 01-20-22, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Is this on topic? I can never tell sometimes you warn people to stay on topic other times threads are all over the place and we have posts like yours. I personally think it's fine hard to discuss things in a vacuum.
was simply responding to spwolf who said the lucid doesn't have the wow factors of tesla like yoke, tablet, etc.
Old 01-22-22, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

MT Comparison with the EQS, Lucid wins:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/
Old 01-22-22, 12:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
MT Comparison with the EQS, Lucid wins:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/
it won their car of the year, so of course it wins.

it's also about 10% ($14k) more expensive.

also, i like this EQS description: "a sublimely cossetting sensory-deprivation tank on wheels"

for a peaceful big car drive, i'll take a century old company's car vs. a company with no history and this first model.

but both great cars!

Old 01-22-22, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$14,000 is nothing at that price point, these cars are direct competitors and you would certainly not expect the startup upstart to win on so many levels. Huge kudos to Lucid for what they have accomplished here.

As much as I love a "a sublimely cossetting sensory-deprivation tank on wheels" the other issues with the EQS they mentioned would overwhelm that attribute for me...as it did for them. The Lucid rides great too from all the other reviews, including this one.

And Mercedes has not been building EVs for a century. This is an entirely new thing, and if anything this shows that heritage doesn't mean as much when it comes to EVs as it did with ICEs. Mercedes doesn't have any more experience with EVs than Lucid.
Old 01-23-22, 07:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Haven't seen either in person yet. I don't think either are that attractive. Especially for the $$$ The trunk of the air is just awful looking. The EQS, the more I look at the front end, the more bad it becomes. maybe in person it might look good.
Old 01-23-22, 08:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Haven't seen either in person yet. I don't think either are that attractive. Especially for the $$$ The trunk of the air is just awful looking. The EQS, the more I look at the front end, the more bad it becomes. maybe in person it might look good.
The EQS has a face that only Bitkahuna would love
Old 01-23-22, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

maybe in person it might look good.
It doesnt lol

Quick Reply: Lucid Air