EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 08:09 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

For all the recent discussion focusing on the Lucid being slower than the Plaid, there’s not been much acknowledgement that the Lucid delivers better range and offers faster charging and more. It’s an extremely well rounded offering.

If the five most important criteria at the top of the market are performance, build quality, range, charging and luxury, the Lucid wins in at least three if not four of them (the toss-up bring build quality, because we haven’t enough experience of Lucid in this regard).
Old 01-23-22, 08:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
If the five most important criteria at the top of the market are performance, build quality, range, charging and luxury, th.
`
I guess styling is no longer a factor with these two EVs?

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It doesnt lol
That is what I have been reading .

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-22 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
`
I think the Lucid looks great personally.
Old 01-23-22, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would have to see it in person to know for sure. I just don't really like the front end. And the seam of the truck on the rear just looks out of place on such an expensive car. The Lincoln or Audi crossovers kinda have that weird hatch thing. it does look more normal (as a car) compared to the EQS
Old 01-23-22, 08:28 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

agreed, better looking and and the quality seems great. Not to mention it does not have half the steering wheel. if this drives anything like a LS or even close to it I am ordering it.
Old 01-23-22, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would have to see it in person to know for sure. I just don't really like the front end. And the seam of the truck on the rear just looks out of place on such an expensive car. The Lincoln or Audi crossovers kinda have that weird hatch thing. it does look more normal (as a car) compared to the EQS
I actually really like the front end. I don't love the clamshell trunk, but it doesnt really bother me.

The Lucid is the best overall EV package I have seen, and for me would be the only one currently that I would choose to drive. Its good looking, the driving position and vehicle interface is normal (no yoke, no weird high dash), high quality interior materials befitting its price point (EQS fails here, but Tesla REALLY fail), great range that should meet all my needs, performance that should make me happy. My only concerns are the reasonable concerns of it being a new company, support and quality.
Old 01-23-22, 08:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My only concerns are the reasonable concerns of it being a new company, support and quality.
Less of concern if you lease. Big worry if one owns full out

I don't love the clamshell trunk, but it doesnt really bother me.

T.
I kind of like the rear of the EQS. the way the hatch opens up.
Old 01-23-22, 08:54 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

`
not really, as styling is subjective, as to a lesser extent is luxury albeit one informed by the rest of the car industry’s product portfolio and luxury customer buying choices which makes it possible to view luxury with some objectivity. The other criteria are entirely objective.
Old 01-23-22, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Less of concern if you lease. Big worry if one owns full out
Even if you lease, a problematic car thats off the road a lot is a big deal
Old 01-23-22, 09:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Even if you lease, a problematic car thats off the road a lot is a big deal
True. Just looking at the long term out of lease equation with a new start up. Less of worry for something like Mercedes. Will Lucid still be around in 5 years, or will I still be able to order parts? How long will it take? But yes broken down under the least term is still a bummer.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-22 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True. Just looking at the long term out of lease equation with a new start up. Less of worry for something like Mercedes. Will Lucid still be around in 5 years, or will I still be able to order parts? How long will it take? But yes broken down under the least term is still a bummer.
With Mercedes, I would also be worried about issues with the EV tech (because its brand new to them...and lets be honest they aren't Toyota) but at least they have the dealer infrastructure and the loaners and such to keep me on the road.

I think Lucid will be here in 5 years, they're really well capitalized and the market outlook is favorable for their product
Old 01-23-22, 11:44 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

agreed. I do like the Model S as well but in a different way. The model S looks more like a 4 door sports car while the lucid looks like a luxury car. My only issue with the S is it feels old...not that it looks dated but it looks almost identical to the 2013 model S to the untrained eye.

Not a big fan of the rear of the rear either but it doesn't ruin it.

In a vacuum the lucid air just seems like a better car all around. Similar performance, better interior, more range, faster charging.

Outside of a vacuum the already established Tesla brand and supercharging network are 2 big factors that can't be overlooked.

Old 01-23-22, 11:54 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The true success of the Lucid is the packaging- it's the same wheelbase as a Model S, yet is more spacious than the EQS which is literally the same size as a regular S-Class. The reviews are also consistent in establishing that the EQS is more cramped on the inside than the S-Class. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing that a bespoke platform EV that's the same size as its ICE counterpart would somehow have less space than said counterpart when bespoke BEV's are supposed to be far more space efficient than any ICE vehicle.
Old 01-23-22, 11:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
agreed. I do like the Model S as well but in a different way. The model S looks more like a 4 door sports car while the lucid looks like a luxury car. My only issue with the S is it feels old...not that it looks dated but it looks almost identical to the 2013 model S to the untrained eye.

Not a big fan of the rear of the rear either but it doesn't ruin it.

In a vacuum the lucid air just seems like a better car all around. Similar performance, better interior, more range, faster charging.

Outside of a vacuum the already established Tesla brand and supercharging network are 2 big factors that can't be overlooked.
The Taycan Turbo S run 10.5s in the quarter mile. Lucid Air Dream so far has done 10s flat. The Model S Plaid has been clocked at 9.2s multiple times (go to Drag Times). Seems there is a bigger difference in performance between a Plaid than a Lucid than a Lucid vs. a Taycan. So yes, it has better interior, more range, faster charging but doesn't have the Tesla tech, charging network or performance. I don't think it has an air suspension either while the Plaid is fully utilizing its air suspension with the new Track Mode.

Old 01-23-22, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

With Mercedes, I would also be worried about issues with the EV tech (because its brand new to them...and lets be honest they aren't Toyota) but at least they have the dealer infrastructure and the loaners and such to keep me on the road.
t
Good point I see want you are saying. . I don’t think Mercedes will have an issues. They have been around a really long time and understand the after sale support. I’m looking at 2013 Tesla S service wait/cost etc and it is not good. Nissan too has troubles replacing or providing batteries to their early EVs. Sometimes it’s good to be first, but sometimes it’s also good to last or later in a segment.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-22 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air