EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 02:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Proof is in the product Lucid has on the road, has great range and charging but the software is terrible. Their self driving feature doesn't work at all can't drive 1 inch with it. Car has dozens of cameras and sensors sitting there being wasted. Tesla has been banging their head against the wall trying to solve FSD for how long now and still who knows how long before they make it safe enough to drive for you. Ford's software is not much better than Lucid same with VW. Software is THE challenge.

I thought the entire article was a softball piece.
I have a feeling you're not buying one anytime soon...just a feeling
Old 08-04-22, 03:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I have a feeling you're not buying one anytime soon...just a feeling
Hell no. Software is a dumpster fire plus it will be years before they are for sale near me, if ever. Not my style either too luxo barge-ish. I might get into LCID again if it dips below $10.
Old 08-04-22, 03:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

If they can get their act together and put out a well sorted out product I would consider one even though I like a sportier sedan just because of how well the interior and fit and finish looks.

I also wish software was an easy fix, my memory seat still doesn’t work and I’m pretty confident it will never be fixed since it’s been through at least four software updates.
Old 08-04-22, 03:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Hell no. Software is a dumpster fire plus it will be years before they are for sale near me, if ever. Not my style either too luxo barge-ish. I might get into LCID again if it dips below $10.
It was more a rhetorical statement . I'm not buying one either, but I do think it has a lot of potential as a great product if they sort everything out. And if you are thinking of buying Lucid stock if it dips, that means you think it has potential. You greedy Capitalists....
Old 08-04-22, 03:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You greedy Capitalists....
Guilty as charged. I think the stock has potential to bounce back after a beating, sure.
It was more a rhetorical statement
I know, but it made me think hmmmmmmm would I buy one? Nah, but I would never buy an S class or say the current LS. Not my style.
Old 08-11-22, 05:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

motortrend has thoroughly reviewed the air 'grand tour performance'.

tl;dr - excellent handling, crap slow buggy software. 34 seconds for screens to startup when starting the car?

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/
Old 08-11-22, 06:55 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Lucid cracked the code. Even more so than Porsche. The Air GTP is the new handling benchmark for EVs. If they all drove like this, all the enthusiasts wringing their hands about the all-electric future would have to move the goalposts again. This is the EV we've been asking automakers to build.

pretty impressive for a new car company.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
motortrend has thoroughly reviewed the air 'grand tour performance'.

tl;dr - excellent handling, crap slow buggy software. 34 seconds for screens to startup when starting the car?

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/
Old 08-11-22, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think what we see here is that they spent so much time and resources designing the car, the chassis, the suspension, the drive system, the batteries for the range, the driving experience they just kind of forgot about the UI.

Working for a company myself that is a start up that is focused on building something, you find that things that you would think would just be automatic get forgotten and phoned in, because they aren't central to what they are trying to do even though they are vital to their everyday operations. It can be VERY frustrating...until you back yourself out of the day to day and look at the big picture and see what it is they are trying to accomplish.

Its like if you're trying to design the worlds best shoes and somehow forget people have to tie them...it happens in this sort of company, happened/happens with Tesla too.
Old 08-11-22, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
This is the EV we've been asking automakers to build.

except lucid apparently can't build more than a handful.

elon musk has said many times... building prototypes is easy compared to manufacturing at scale.

lucid is fisker with better engneers and more money. still going nowhere.

Old 08-11-22, 10:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

elon musk has said many times... building prototypes is easy compared to manufacturing at scale.
Tesla has had 20+ years or something like it. Toyota helped. Their Fremont plants is a Toyota/GM plant. Then Lotus helped them quite a bit. Tesla still hasn't mastered manufacturing at scale and they have not yet perfected their product (as seen in their product and quality issues). Tesla is a very popular product though.

As for Lucid, (to keep the thread on topic so it doesn't turn into another Tesla thread) This is a Motor Trends Car of the Year, how any car can win COTY with a boot time of 30+ seconds before you can drive is beyond ridiculous. Dumb MT... Definitely a solid product by Lucid (a first time car maker), even though I do not think they will succeed as a brand or company, they will likely go out of business. I own no stock.
Old 08-11-22, 10:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Tesla has had 20+ years or something like it. Toyota helped. Their Fremont plants is a Toyota/GM plant. Then Lotus helped them quite a bit. Tesla still hasn't mastered manufacturing at scale and they have not yet perfected their product (as seen in their product and quality issues). Tesla is a very popular product though.
they built and sold over a million cars in the last year... according to elon musk, their fremont plant makes more cars than ANY other car plant in north america. but as you say, this isn't about tesla...

how any car can win COTY with a boot time of 30+ seconds before you can drive is beyond ridiculous. Dumb MT...
MT and other dying car media is about clicks/ eyeballs through CONTROVERSY... you don't get that by picking the ford bronco or the new CRV as COTY

look at past COTY winners... most complete duds in the market

https://www.motortrend.com/news/car-...ear-winners-2/
Old 08-11-22, 10:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

they built and sold over a million cars in the last year... according to elon musk, their fremont plant makes more cars than ANY other car plant in north america. but as you say, this isn't about tesla...

l/
Just because they build a lot of cars doesn't mean they have mastered it. when you manufacture, you don't always want to be at full manufacturing capacity at a particular plant anyways...

Genesis G70 was a dud?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-11-22 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-11-22, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Genesis G70 was a dud?
didn't exactly do great... i don't think bmw or even lexus was worried.

Old 08-11-22, 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

As for “COTY” winners being duds, often the best car in a segment is not the best selling car. Personally, I care way more about the substance of a car than how many of them they sell when I’m going to shop for one. More often than not, the top seller is the least compelling option in my experience.

I know you dislike Lucid for some reason, but this is quite the achievement and it’s clearly a great car. Will they sell a ton of them? Likely not. But, it moves the industry forward.
Old 08-11-22, 11:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Toyota helped.
They certainly did. If it wasn't for Toyota having the vision to sell their factory for peanuts Tesla may have never become the industry giant they are today. Thanks Toyota you led and it matters.

2001 and 2002 are real stand outs. But they outdid themselves for the 1980 award. I do have MT to thank for Lucid stock going on a run.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air