EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 11:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Counting Lucid out with such an awesome product (their first attempt) is very premature. Buggy software can be fixed, when I first got my Polestar it had some annoying bugs like AC fan buttons suddenly greyed out, overzealous parking sensors, and less efficiency than advertised, but over a few months they fixed the issues through OTA updates, and now its a way better vehicle than it was the day I took delivery. But there will always be naysayers, Lucid will eventually fix the software and production issues, and the those same naysayers will go into Dark Mode. That, or I will be eating Humble Pie
Old 08-11-22, 11:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

How many cars do they have to sell per year to turn a profit?
Old 08-11-22, 11:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I don't think "profit" is in their near future LOL. But companies can run in the red, if they do it smartly
Old 08-11-22, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I know you dislike Lucid for some reason, ...
a 180K car with no air suspension, takes 30+ seconds for the screens to work after starting, a trunk that only the designers could love, and they make them in smaller quantities than ferrari. what could possible go wrong?

apart from those (massive) things though the car is very impressive. not 180k impressive, but it's still impressive.

[quote[But, it moves the industry forward.[/QUOTE]

not sure how if they don't get into many people's hands. it will be another fisker, nicola, blah blah... meanwhile, loads of chinese brands are doing the real work of bringing ev's to the masses. hell, even vinfast to me is more impressive than lucid.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Buggy software can be fixed,
not if the hardware is inadequate. even tesla had to make major hardware upgrades to make the car's brain powerful enough.

Lucid will eventually fix the software and production issues, and the those same naysayers will go into Dark Mode. That, or I will be eating Humble Pie
i hope lucid makes it!

LOL - key question.
Old 08-11-22, 12:13 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

the 30 second thing is obviously a bug, it's not been a feature of prior reviews. It can and will get fixed via an OTA software update. This absolutely won't be due to a hardware limitation.
Old 08-11-22, 12:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
apart from those (massive) things though the car is very impressive. not 180k impressive, but it's still impressive.

not if the hardware is inadequate. even tesla had to make major hardware upgrades to make the car's brain powerful enough.
i hope lucid makes it!
I agree, the price is not very impressive, but if this vehicle is successful (and they can actually produce them in enough numbers), it's possible price will come down, they will build less expensive models. Unless the hardware is defective, I'm sure they specd it out to be powerful enough. The most likely culprit until proven otherwise is a crappy UI that was quickly rushed. The infotainment screen in my Polestar could get sluggish at times, which they fixed with updates. There is still some bugs here and there, but they continue to fix them, if it's not a hardware related issue then they will eventually fix the sluggish UI
Old 08-11-22, 12:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

At least Polestar rolls out updates, VW's ID cars have not seen a single update in a year. Lucid's software stack is still in the alpha phase.

Wonder how those expensive shoes taste.
So we are planning for production cosmos where some plan for production chaos… It’s not for me to criticize Tesla. But I’m an observer of these things and I can say practically that there’s only one car company that has production hell."

- Peter Rawlinson
Old 08-11-22, 12:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

a 180K car with no air suspension,

. not 180k impressive, .
I am with yah...wanted to add.....No dealers either. They need a distribution network to make it work. Look how difficult it has been for Genesis. Hard to get your hands on a Lucid. I think they do direct sales model?
Old 08-11-22, 12:29 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
the 30 second thing is obviously a bug, it's not been a feature of prior reviews. It can and will get fixed via an OTA software update. This absolutely won't be due to a hardware limitation.
Not true. For example, do you know what CPU are they using? The difference between say, an Atom and an AMD chip is like night and day. And that's just the chip.
Old 08-11-22, 12:36 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Not true. For example, do you know what CPU are they using? The difference between say, an Atom and an AMD chip is like night and day. And that's just the chip.
Because Lucid Air infotainment runs on a fork of Android Automotive without the app layer, and Android Automotive runs quite happily on dated hardware. Case in point the Polestar 2 runs it on an Intel Atom A3900 (Kaby Lake/Apollo Lake architecture from 2016). Lucid is reportedly running on more modern NVIDIA hardware.

Last edited by swajames; 08-11-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 12:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

At least Polestar rolls out updates, VW's ID cars have not seen a single update in a year. Lucid's software stack is still in the alpha phase.

Wonder how those expensive shoes taste.
Polestar has the advantage of sharing software development with its parent company, Volvo. The C40 and Polestar 2 get updates at the same time. I've already had four since I got delivery of the car, each one makes the car better. I don't know much about Lucid's software development or how much resources they dedicate to the software team, but it does seem that due to circumstances of not being able to produce vehicles fast enough, software is secondary at this point
Old 08-11-22, 01:34 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Tesla still hasn't mastered manufacturing at scale and they have not yet perfected their product (as seen in their product and quality issues).
Spend some time watching videos in the "Munro Live" channel on YouTube. They systematically dismantle vehicles (mostly EVs nowadays), examine the engineering and build processes, and make suggestions for manufacturers to reduce costs, improve efficiency and reliability. They're currently working through a series on the new Gigacast Model Y with the structural 4680 battery pack. The engineering, design, and assembly processes are nothing short of ASTONISHING. The entire chassis structure is a single aluminum casting with built-in mount points for auxillary components that need to hang off it; the seats and center console are mounted directly to the battery pack, which is installed as a complete assembly from underneath. REALLY cool stuff.

They haven't done a Lucid yet (I'm sure they will eventually), but if you contrast the Gigacast Y to say, the Rivian R1T which they've also torn down... Rivian has built a very good product, but there are a lot of extremely expensive and highly-manual build processes that could and should be streamlined, simplified, and made more automated.
Old 08-11-22, 01:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The wheels are literally falling off the bZ4X and Toyota says they don't know why. The fix is not drive the car, or if you want Toyota will buy it back. No such thing as the perfect product even from arguably the most reliable brand.
Old 08-11-22, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

a 180K car with no air suspension, takes 30+ seconds for the screens to work after starting, a trunk that only the designers could love, and they make them in smaller quantities than ferrari. what could possible go wrong?

Its not a $180,000 car. One specific launch version of it was $180,000. Its very similar in cost to a Tesla Model S or other high end flagship car.

You have always had a chip on your shoulder about Lucid, so it doesn't surprise me you are focused on the one thing that really is not impressive right now, the UI and ignoring the rest of the praise MT (and everybody else) has heaped on the car.

As for an air suspension, if it drives that great why does it need an air suspension?

As for the UI, carmakers with tons of experience have consistently struggled with UI. In my S Class a button input in the infotainment can take 3 full seconds to register and take the action.

I hope lucid makes it!
I don't believe that's actually the case.
Old 08-11-22, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Spend some time watching videos in the "Munro Live" channel on YouTube. They systematically dismantle vehicles (mostly EVs nowadays), examine the engineering and build processes, and make suggestions for manufacturers to reduce costs, improve efficiency and reliability. They're currently working through a series on the new Gigacast Model Y with the structural 4680 battery pack. The engineering, design, and assembly processes are nothing short of ASTONISHING. The entire chassis structure is a single aluminum casting with built-in mount points for auxillary components that need to hang off it; the seats and center console are mounted directly to the battery pack, which is installed as a complete assembly from underneath. REALLY cool stuff.

They haven't done a Lucid yet (I'm sure they will eventually), but if you contrast the Gigacast Y to say, the Rivian R1T which they've also torn down... Rivian has built a very good product, but there are a lot of extremely expensive and highly-manual build processes that could and should be streamlined, simplified, and made more automated.
Good for all that. They have not mastered manufacturing at all. Tesla are ridden with defects. At some point they might…or might not. But they do make money…but the cost for making a Tesla keeps increasing.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-11-22 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air