EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 03:06 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, lots of assumptions here.

you have NO way of knowing that unless you have inside knowledge. for example, because they're building them in single digit numbers, they may have a ton of DIAGNOSTIC software that runs when the car is 'started' to make sure every battery cell is in operating range, and any number of others tests, that must complete before the guages actually work. that would not be a bug, that would be a cautious design.
at some point they may be able to make it faster, but aside inside knowledge, there's no way to know that it's a bug.
The article you posted already cleared up what it is and also what Lucid is doing to address it.

"Lucid says an over-the-air (OTA) software update is coming that'll address the load speeds, but it wasn't part of the update we ran while we had the car"

It is indeed a software issue, and it will be fixed via an OTA update.
Old 08-11-22, 03:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Apple is a software company. Not a carmaker.
You missed the point, vertical integration is the differentiator especially software.
The issue is when vehicle engineers try and design a UI, they should leave that to companies who focus on and excel at designing a UI...like Apple.
This is a slippery slope, best of luck to auto makers that don't have their own software IP.
If Apple all of a sudden started designing and manufacturing cars, they would be as bad at that as car manufacturers are at designing a GUI.
How about auto makers strive to be the best at both or is only 1-2 companies capable of this.

This feels like charging networks, wait for someone else to do it. Oh shi... now our cars are charging at a competitors network using their app.

Old 08-11-22, 03:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The article you posted already cleared up what it is and also what Lucid is doing to address it.

"Lucid says an over-the-air (OTA) software update is coming that'll address the load speeds, but it wasn't part of the update we ran while we had the car"

It is indeed a software issue, and it will be fixed via an OTA update.
How was this load issue not noticed when they decided to call the Air the Car of the Year? My guess is there is a problem with the hardware...its a brand new car...first generation. So it can be totally expected.
Old 08-11-22, 03:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Motor Trend selects the car that is trendy it's right int their name.
Old 08-11-22, 03:23 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How was this load issue not noticed when they decided to call the Air the Car of the Year? My guess is there is a problem with the hardware...its a brand new car...first generation. So it can be totally expected.
Well maybe the startup delays didn't exist or weren't as noticeable in prior software versions. Lucid, like Tesla, pushes updates out all the time. One of my cars had a similar issue, an OTA update introduced a longer boot for some infotainment components that previously started without delay, and that was quickly fixed via a subsequent OTA update.
Old 08-11-22, 03:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Well maybe the startup delays didn't exist or weren't as noticeable in prior software versions. Lucid, like Tesla, pushes updates out all the time. One of my cars had a similar issue, an OTA update introduced a longer boot for some infotainment components that previously started without delay, and that was quickly fixed via a subsequent OTA update.
Likely the case. MT should be committed to finding out for their own credibility . (especially after they name it C of the Y)
Old 08-11-22, 03:49 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Lucid has been having software issues with the UI since day 1. Auto rags report this type of thing very inconsistently and very often give manufacturers some slack and don't mention it in reviews, or if they do they do so very briefly. I've been able to see all of this firsthand since my friend has had her Lucid Air for a while now.
Old 08-11-22, 06:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Apple is a software company. Not a carmaker. The issue is when vehicle engineers try and design a UI, they should leave that to companies who focus on and excel at designing a UI...like Apple.

If Apple all of a sudden started designing and manufacturing cars, they would be as bad at that as car manufacturers are at designing a GUI.

apple designs TONS of hardware as well as software. they have manufactured mountains of hardware in the past, but obviously in recent years (decades) they've chosen to outsource the MANUFACTURING (not the design) of most if not all the hardware they make. they strictly control their suppliers and manufacturing.

you don't have 'vehicle engineers' design a UI, you have UX people work with both the vehicle designers and the infotainment / displays / etc. ui designers to find the right customer experience (as best they can with time, cost, skill, resource constraints).

and finally, there's been TONS of rumors that apple is doing just that, designing a car. no doubt they'll hire in lots of car design experts as well as bringing their own innovations. one rumor had apple working with hyundai to build the car, but that rumor has also been denied.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
it was covered in the review article, so they knew about it, but still decided the lucid should be car of the year, because 'attention' for MT.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Motor Trend selects the car that is trendy it's right int their name.
exactly right.
Old 08-11-22, 06:55 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

LOL I’ve had similar software issues with my Tesla that haven’t been fixed. For example, sometimes my screen is black for 30 seconds as I leave my house, luckily even though I can’t see on the screen how to put my car in drive I can still swipe in the area and it works. A lot of times I can’t listen to the radio until I’m halfway out of my neighborhood because it’s so slow to boot up or whatever it’s doing. And then there is the XM radio where the icon doesn’t show up on occasion so you can’t even access it. Lastly, I know I sound like a broken record, but after at least 5 software updates my memory seat still doesn’t work after one of the software updates I did and I know it will never work and Tesla really doesn’t care to make it work.

See, even the best EV maker has software issues but nobody talks about them like Lucid here but somehow they get a free pass and Lucid gets obliterated for it.
Old 08-11-22, 07:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
LOL I’ve had similar software issues with my Tesla that haven’t been fixed. For example, sometimes my screen is black for 30 seconds as I leave my house, luckily even though I can’t see on the screen how to put my car in drive I can still swipe in the area and it works. A lot of times I can’t listen to the radio until I’m halfway out of my neighborhood because it’s so slow to boot up or whatever it’s doing. And then there is the XM radio where the icon doesn’t show up on occasion so you can’t even access it. Lastly, I know I sound like a broken record, but after at least 5 software updates my memory seat still doesn’t work after one of the software updates I did and I know it will never work and Tesla really doesn’t care to make it work.

See, even the best EV maker has software issues but nobody talks about them like Lucid here but somehow they get a free pass and Lucid gets obliterated for it.
That particular car that MT took out was probably a prototype press car. But I think Lucids problems it needs to resolve are a bit deeper than software . As far as your issue with your infotainment screen...it's got to be a defective screen or hardware. I am around lots of Model 3 and Model Y owners (and one Model S and X owner), and none of them have the issues you have. There have been some quality issues, even a few that had issues with their screens (Tesla changed their screens), but nothing like your problem. Polestar had a recent update last month that caused a few Polestars to get bricked...it was due to a defective battery control unit, and the update caused the BCU's to fail. I would demand Tesla at the very least change your screen
Old 08-11-22, 09:44 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Lucid could have the best infotainment in the world and it wouldn't mean anything if they can't even build 2,000 cars in a year. It doesn't matter how much Saudi money they have, building factories and scaling up production is a whole other ball game from designing a good car, and would take many many years, which Lucid does not have the luxury of having at this glacial pace of production.

Quite frankly, the only way I see them being a viable company is if they become an EV drivetrain supplier and design firm like Rimac, and use the Air as the limited-production halo car showcase of their technological prowess, which is what Rimac is doing with the Nevera.
Old 08-11-22, 09:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Lucid could have the best infotainment in the world and it wouldn't mean anything if they can't even build 2,000 cars in a year. It doesn't matter how much Saudi money they have, building factories and scaling up production is a whole other ball game from designing a good car, and would take many many years, which Lucid does not have the luxury of having at this glacial pace of production.

Quite frankly, the only way I see them being a viable company is if they become an EV drivetrain supplier and design firm like Rimac, and use the Air as the limited-production halo car showcase of their technological prowess, which is what Rimac is doing with the Nevera.
Man I gotta agree. They make an amazing drivetrain. Rivian delivered 4467 cars this quarter and they are nowhere near where they need to be. Lucid is in a bind
Old 08-12-22, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

apple designs TONS of hardware as well as software. they have manufactured mountains of hardware in the past, but obviously in recent years (decades) they've chosen to outsource the MANUFACTURING (not the design) of most if not all the hardware they make. they strictly control their suppliers and manufacturing.

you don't have 'vehicle engineers' design a UI, you have UX people work with both the vehicle designers and the infotainment / displays / etc. ui designers to find the right customer experience (as best they can with time, cost, skill, resource constraints)..
Then riddle me this, why have vehicle manufacturers consistently struggled with GUI in their infotainment systems? This is not just a Lucid issue. I have never owned a car with what I would consider a quality GUI. Never. Perhaps the only one out there is iDrive. Clearly, they are not attracting the software design talent they need to design good GUIs, they don't have the resources or the expertise to do that compared to companies who do...like Apple.

My wife is driving the S560 today because the Pacifica is in for tires, and I just spent 10 minutes explaining to her how to skip forward a track for her music, and that was considered an excellent vehicle UI a few years ago. Thats ridiculous.

Thats why I'm happy to have CarPlay. I just ignore the OEM GUI as much as possible.

And yes Apple has designed lots of hardware, but their roots are in software.
Old 08-12-22, 08:33 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Reminds me of the time I test drove a Santa Fe years ago. It drove and rode fine but was ridiculous how laggy the touchscreen was. The salesperson tried to gloss over the behavior when I pointed it out. It was as if the developers deliberately inserted some sleep cycles for every input. It felt dangerous to use while driving because of how slow it was. Made we wish they had the option to upgrade to a faster processor/memory/storage.
Old 08-12-22, 10:16 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Then riddle me this, why have vehicle manufacturers consistently struggled with GUI in their infotainment systems? This is not just a Lucid issue. I have never owned a car with what I would consider a quality GUI. Never. Perhaps the only one out there is iDrive. Clearly, they are not attracting the software design talent they need to design good GUIs, they don't have the resources or the expertise to do that compared to companies who do...like Apple.

My wife is driving the S560 today because the Pacifica is in for tires, and I just spent 10 minutes explaining to her how to skip forward a track for her music, and that was considered an excellent vehicle UI a few years ago. Thats ridiculous.

Thats why I'm happy to have CarPlay. I just ignore the OEM GUI as much as possible.

And yes Apple has designed lots of hardware, but their roots are in software.
Sure, but Lucid's system is quite frankly unacceptable right now. Some things just flat out don't work. It'll get fixed soon but I have yet to encounter a system in such poor shape in a production car.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air