EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22 | 12:03 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
resistance is futile unless you'll drive your current vehicles for the rest of your life.
Yeah when the time comes for hand me down used Lucids I'll have no choice to submit. haha
Old 08-19-22 | 12:07 PM
Hoovey689

Default Lucid Air Sapphire

1,200 horsepower and three electric motors

Lucid claims a 0-60 mph time of under 2 seconds

This is the Lucid Air Sapphire, and it takes the Air to a whole new level of performance. Just revealed at Monterey Car Week, the Sapphire features a three-motor powertrain that Lucid says is capable of delivering over 1,200 horsepower.

That nutty amount of power will be good for 0-60 mph times in less than 2 seconds, 0-100 mph times in less than 4 seconds and a quarter-mile time of under 9 seconds, all according to Lucid. Top speed for the Sapphire is claimed to be “over 200 mph.” Unlike the Tesla Model S Plaid that posts similar acceleration figures, Lucid says that all of the times are doable without “protracted preconditioning routines.”

Similar to the Plaid, the Lucid Air Sapphire features two electric motors driving the rear wheels and one driving the front. Lucid’s twin rear drive unit is capable of providing a torque vectoring effect by providing torque to the rear wheels in opposite directions. It’s able to provide regenerative braking to the inside wheel while powering the outside at the same time to increase rotation and make for quicker turn-in, similar to what you’d see on a car with rear-wheel steering.

The Sapphire isn’t just about straight-line speed, though. Lucid installed stiffer front and rear springs, stiffer bushings and is running more aggressive damper settings. It also gets unique tuning for the electric power steering, stability control, traction control and ABS. Speaking of the brakes, carbon ceramic brakes come standard to ensure durability during high-performance driving. Larger wheels and tires are fitted — 265-section-width in front and 295-section-width in back. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber it’s using is developed specifically for the Sapphire and as such features the unique designation on the sidewall. In order to fit the wider rubber, Lucid has given the Air a widebody re-style. The front is 0.83 inch wider, and the rear is 0.94 inch wider than a standard Air. The new wheels (20-inch in front and 21-inch in rear) also feature carbon fiber aero disc covers to improve the drag coefficient — plus they look cool.

Lucid says it made light changes to the exterior in an effort to enhance downforce without greatly affecting range. Lucid doesn’t provide a range prediction, but claims it will retain the range advantage it holds over competitors.

To aid the high-speed driving the Sapphire will be capable of, Lucid installed new 18-way power sport seats that are trimmed in leather and Alcantara with Sapphire blue stitching. They’re still heated, cooled and massaged. The screen displays will have new performance-focused menus to check out and it’ll feature new drive modes, too. You’ll get the vehicle’s maximum performance in “Sapphire” mode.

Lucid says the Sapphire will only be offered as a limited-production model in the U.S. and Canada. Deliveries will begin next year, and the starting price is $249,000, not including a yet-to-be-announced destination charge. Lucid only has the Air in its lineup for now, but it says to expect a high-po Sapphire version of every car it produces in the future.
Source
Old 08-19-22 | 02:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

$249,000

Lucid only has the Air in its lineup for now, but it says to expect a high-po Sapphire version of every car it produces in the future.
High-po? Really?
Old 08-19-22 | 02:46 PM
timmy0tool

i thought a less than 2 sec 0-60 is physically impossible...
Old 08-19-22 | 02:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Lucid says the Sapphire will only be offered as a limited-production model in the U.S. and Canada.
like 5? they can't even deliver the regular one.
Old 08-19-22 | 02:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i thought a less than 2 sec 0-60 is physically impossible...
i think rimac already did it, but pretty soon there's going to be 'organ failure' waivers for these cars.
Old 08-19-22 | 03:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Anything less than 4 seconds is just getting plain silly to me
Old 08-19-22 | 03:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Simple changes made this look a billion times better. Love this.
Old 08-19-22 | 04:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Thats what I was thinking. How about just trying to deliver the cars they already sell first.
Old 08-19-22 | 05:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

For something claiming higher agility it's using quite small tires......especially when you factor in weight.

Sub 2 second 0-60s are fairly common and have been for a long time in modded cars and rally cars.
Old 08-20-22 | 01:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
For something claiming higher agility it's using quite small tires......especially when you factor in weight.

Sub 2 second 0-60s are fairly common and have been for a long time in modded cars and rally cars.
Those don't count because most of those aren't street legal, have expensive fueling requirements, are not daily drivable...and they spend more money on them getting them to sub 2 seconds. As ridiculous, stupid and expensive as the Sapphire is, it probably delivers that 1200 hp using less energy than a Prius...no ICE can do that or claim that

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-20-22 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-20-22 | 01:47 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Same. This feels like a shiny object to distract the investors after the past month of stock slumps for Lucid.
Old 08-20-22 | 01:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Same. This feels like a shiny object to distract the investors after the past month of stock slumps for Lucid.
That sounds exactly what this is. I really want Lucid to succeed, they should just figure out how to actually get to manufacturing their regular line
Old 08-20-22 | 04:04 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Just saw a Lucid Air Grand Touring in the mall. Gotta say I’m quite underwhelmed. It wasn’t particularly luxurious nor spacious inside. The rear seat felt cramped due to the zero toe space beneath the seat. The soft-close doors actually get in the way when you close the door with normal force. I prefer how you can close an LS 460 door normally and the soft-close only activated when the door is still ajar. Also not a fan of the trunk design. I hadn’t realized it’s a half-hatch design.

The seats are well-padded and cushy but I just expected more or to be wowed, and I wasn’t. The wide screen managed to feel small due to the short height of the display. The center console is also pretty anemic and the rear storage bin is narrow too. Seems to be a theme throughout the car, just a feeling of small and tight quarters despite a large exterior.

I was briefly chatting with another onlooker and told him other than the range specs, the rest of the car wasn’t very impressive at all. I would probably get a Rivian over the Air Grand Touring.

Of course, the car was just sitting still and I didn’t properly experience it on the road. As it is, I’m not really interested in driving it. I am personally shocked how much I don’t care for this “better Tesla”.

Someone else made a comment that made me roll my eyes. They tapped on the plastic covers under the hood and said something about how the Air is going to be terrible in a frontal crash. Really? As meh as the Lucid Air is to me, I’m sure there’s an effective crumple zone beneath the plastic shrouds.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 08-20-22 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-21-22 | 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I thought it felt really spacious inside

just a feeling of small and tight quarters despite a large exterior.
Thats just it, its not large outside at all. Its the size of a 5 series. Its large inside for its exterior size, not small.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air