EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Hard to believe this thread started over FOUR YEARS ago, but this is looking promising...

Old 04-21-21, 08:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

As a share holder I would be very happy if Lucid would start selling a few cars.
Old 04-21-21, 10:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The Lucid looks like what the EQS wishes it was.
Old 04-21-21, 10:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
As a share holder I would be very happy if Lucid would start selling a few cars.
would those shares be cciv?
Old 04-22-21, 12:05 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
would those shares be cciv?
yes it is. also a share holder waiting to go to the moon.
Old 04-22-21, 06:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Hard to believe this thread started over FOUR YEARS ago, but this is looking promising...
Very promising indeed!👍👍
Old 04-22-21, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
yes it is. also a share holder waiting to go to the moon.
wow, true believers... why will lucid be successful now that mercedes is ready to launch their large EV and others (Cadillac, BMW, Audi, etc) surely to follow very soon. what is it you believe Lucid brings to the table? besides no track record.
Old 04-22-21, 07:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

wow, true believers... why will lucid be successful now that mercedes is ready to launch their large EV and others (Cadillac, BMW, Audi, etc) surely to follow very soon. what is it you believe Lucid brings to the table? besides no track record.
The fundamentals are there Lucid has a real, modern factory and are well funded. No legacy baggage that's huge in my view the established auto makers have to juggle new EV platforms plus their ICE production and everything that goes with it. Bernard Weng, Lucid's CEO used to be the VP at Tesla (lawsuits resulted after he left).

I half expect Lucid to announce further production delays wouldn't be surprised if they don't start mass production until early next year.
Old 04-22-21, 07:51 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same reason that i believed tesla would succed back in the day, also the founder of lucid is an engineer from tesla and he does seem to be a pretty smart guy.
Old 04-22-21, 08:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

same reason that i believed tesla would succed back in the day, also the founder of lucid is an engineer from tesla and he does seem to be a pretty smart guy.
I hope you're right and i'm rooting for Lucid. The founder seems like a very level headed person and I bet many would prefer a person like him over Elon but there is no denying, that Elon is a visionary. He's completely whacky but what evil mad genius scientist isn't

Elon took crazy risk to get Tesla to where they now and the current OEMs have been completely disrupted and awakened to EVs now. I think its actually harder for Lucid now that the OEMs are in the EV footrace so good luck to them. Bit's question is a fair consideration for Lucid's survival...will they bring a product that is vastly superior to the current OEMs who already have the brand recognition and manufacturing chops to produce nice EVs? If Lucid's cars are only comparable to the new products coming out, then they won't get enough scale to survive.
Old 04-22-21, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

tesla started selling cars over a decade ago. the market isn't the same. and many a well funded startup with a 'smart' person at the helm has failed.

so besides being well funded and smart, what's so great about the lucid CAR? (or supporting ecosystem if they have one)

seems to me more like it will be acquired for patents and a nice factory.

Old 04-22-21, 02:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

tesla started selling cars over a decade ago. the market isn't the same. and many a well funded startup with a 'smart' person at the helm has failed.

so besides being well funded and smart, what's so great about the lucid CAR? (or supporting ecosystem if they have one)

seems to me more like it will be acquired for patents and a nice factory.
They do have an excellent powertrain that has technology developed for Formula E. Their drivetrain in the prototype Lucid cars blow away anything that is on the market from Porsche / Audi and Mercedes (in terms of both power and efficiency). Question is...is that enough product superiority to win the market? Hard to say. I think if Mercedes bought them and used their tech, the cars would be unbelievable.
Old 04-22-21, 02:47 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No legacy baggage that's huge in my view the established auto makers have to juggle new EV platforms plus their ICE production and everything that goes with it.
Agreed. Lucid will get to define themselves in ways established auto may have challenges. Take Mustang Mache-E, for example, and the near absence of Ford branding on the vehicle, which is interesting, because the Mache-E is a good vehicle, by most impressions. I don't think it would have sold any less, by carrying the Ford name, but marketing decisions were made.

While established brands will likely cater to existing fans, IMO, the clean slate, exclusivity and solid execution will work in Lucid's favor, among other things. I hope they succeed and I'd like to see more startups take a swing at fresh ideas and technologies.
Old 04-22-21, 03:51 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

What will make or break Lucid will be their production ability and supply chain management. That's what bankrupted Fisker. Tesla survived not only because of its tech, but also because of its vertical integration.
Old 04-22-21, 04:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
Agreed. Lucid will get to define themselves in ways established auto may have challenges. Take Mustang Mache-E, for example, and the near absence of Ford branding on the vehicle, which is interesting, because the Mache-E is a good vehicle, by most impressions. I don't think it would have sold any less, by carrying the Ford name, but marketing decisions were made.

While established brands will likely cater to existing fans, IMO, the clean slate, exclusivity and solid execution will work in Lucid's favor, among other things. I hope they succeed and I'd like to see more startups take a swing at fresh ideas and technologies.
Mustang is associated with Ford. No need for all the extra branding. People know what it is

Quick Reply: Lucid Air