EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 11:42 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I don't agree that lack of AWD, in what may be the "base" Taycan, leaves it DOA compared to the Model S - especially for people in more mild year-round climates. Very few people drive at the limits anyway... I do agree 100% about the Porsche options, however, some may see that as an advantage as the Model S offers relatively little personalization.

Besides, the Model S is getting a little "old" now anyway; if people can get into a comparably priced Taycan, I suspect it will be a real viable alternative.
That's the problem- a "comparably priced Taycan", aka the $85K base RWD model, would be nowhere near the features, range, or performance of a similarly priced Model S in any manner. And while most people won't "need" AWD, they'll definitely be disappointed to see it's on the Model S but not on the more expensive Taycan, unless they plan to take the price into the six digit realm. I appreciate that Porsche wants to make the Taycan more attainable, but why?

What makes the Taycan stand out is its exclusivity and pure performance focus that surpasses any Tesla on the market, and that performance doesn't come cheap. Making a cheaper model just dilutes the exclusive appeal of the existing car, and may even cannibalize the sales of its upcoming Audi E-Tron GT sister, which sits on the same platform and is the one that is actually going to be priced to compete with the Model S.
Old 07-02-20, 12:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
That's the problem- a "comparably priced Taycan", aka the $85K base RWD model, would be nowhere near the features, range, or performance of a similarly priced Model S in any manner. And while most people won't "need" AWD, they'll definitely be disappointed to see it's on the Model S but not on the more expensive Taycan, unless they plan to take the price into the six digit realm. I appreciate that Porsche wants to make the Taycan more attainable, but why?

What makes the Taycan stand out is its exclusivity and pure performance focus that surpasses any Tesla on the market, and that performance doesn't come cheap. Making a cheaper model just dilutes the exclusive appeal of the existing car, and may even cannibalize the sales of its upcoming Audi E-Tron GT sister, which sits on the same platform and is the one that is actually going to be priced to compete with the Model S.
Even a regular Taycan S AWD is slower than the lowly Performance 3 ($55k) let alone a Model S. I think they should have juiced up the regular Taycan to compete a little better. The Taycan Turbo S is overall faster than the Model S Performance though especially at triple digits.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insidee...he-taycan/amp/
Old 08-19-20, 07:57 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2021 Porsche Taycan info

Gets a number of updates in second model year

The 2021 Porsche Taycan is rolling into its second model year with a few updates. It’s largely the same car as it was for 2020, but there are some tech enhancements we’ll go over below.

Before the tech, let's talk acceleration. Porsche has revised its quarter mile and 0-124 mph acceleration figures. It now sprints through the quarter mile in 10.7 seconds (one tenth quicker) and does 0-124 mph in 9.6 seconds (two tenths quicker). The 2021 car is no quicker than before, but further testing and more data collection has shown Porsche that the car can achieve these numbers.
Porsche adds a battery preservation charge mode for 2021. When at DC fast chargers, this selectable mode will limit the charging capacity at 200 kW. This is best used if you can make a longer stop, as Porsche says it prolongs the life of the battery and reduces power loss when charging. The standard 270 kW speed is used by default, though, assuming you’ve found an 800-volt high-power charging station.Charging is made easier with a new “Plug & Charge” feature. Authentication of your purchase at Electrify America stations will now be done automatically in the background. All you need to do is plug in, and the transaction is processed for you.

A color head-up display joins the options list for 2021. Additionally, Porsche’s Smartlift function to control ride height and raise the car's front end over road obstacles can now be programmed to automatically rise in certain recurring locations. The lift function only works if you have the adaptive air suspension. The PCM infotainment system is also updated, adding SiriusXM 360L to its media suite.

More colors outside and inside are available for 2021. New exterior paint options include: Mahogany Metallic, Frozenberry Metallic, Cherry Metallic, Coffee Beige Metallic, Chalk, Neptune Blue and Ice Grey Metallic. And five new interior options join the new paint: Black/Limestone Beige standard interior, Blackberry and Blackberry/Slate Grey leather interior, Graphite Blue/Slate Grey Race-Tex interior, and a Basalt Black/Meranti Brown OLEA Club Leather interior.

Lastly, Porsche has detailed some of its “Function on Demand” subscription-based features it will offer for the Taycan in the new model year. Owners will be allowed to purchase a number of functions after the fact via a monthly or yearly subscription model. For 2021, Porsche says four new functions will be available to outright purchase, and three will be available as monthly subscriptions. The two new “functions” available for 2021 are Active Lane Keep Assist and InnoDrive. Porsche’s lane-keeping will help keep the driver centered in the lane through steering intervention. And InnoDrive “individually adapts the speed of the vehicle to the conditions ahead, with specific consideration for speed limits, turns, traffic circles, and situations where you have to yield or stop.”

The 2021 Taycan will be available for ordering in the fourth quarter this year, and will begin to arrive in dealers during the first quarter of 2021.
Source
Old 10-17-20, 06:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Saw the new Taycan today...it was pulling into the supermarket just off a main road. The sound is so cool, it is like a race car as it goes by. Looked fantastic too. Easily identifiable as a Porsche car...
Old 10-17-20, 11:13 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Recently saw my first Taycan as well. Pictures don't do this car justice, lots of presence in real life.
Old 10-18-20, 05:11 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw my first Taycan as well a couple weeks ago. It definitely had presence and looked really good. I would take one of those over a Panamera. As a weekend car, I would still take a 911 Turbo S.
Old 10-18-20, 06:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Recently saw my first Taycan as well. Pictures don't do this car justice, lots of presence in real life.
Where either of you able to hear the sound? or did you see if from a distance?

That interior is amazing

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-18-20 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-18-20, 06:44 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Have to agree. I spent a 1/2 day with one for a video project I'm working on. Car definitely has presence, as you say, and looks good both driving by and while inside of it. Oh and yes you can hear electric motor noise when it goes by from the outside. Inside you only hear that spaceship sound in sports plus otherwise its very very very quiet inside.

Old 10-18-20, 10:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Where either of you able to hear the sound? or did you see if from a distance?

That interior is amazing

https://youtu.be/fxSBMTwE858
I only saw it parked in a parking lot. I was close to it but never heard it.
Old 11-06-20, 10:30 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default Strong demand for the Taycan helps Porsche recover in the United States

It's the firm's third-best-selling car in America

Porsche's sales in the United States, its second-largest global market, took a significant hit earlier in 2020 as lock-downs swept across the nation. Its recovery has been quicker than expected, and company CEO Oliver Blume told Autoblog that strong demand for the electric Taycan has helped it turn the situation around.

"We're achieving a v-shaped recovery; a fast drop, followed by a fast rise. Sales started to rebound in June, and that trend has continued to accelerate through the third quarter," he affirmed. Launched earlier in 2020, at the height of the pandemic, the Taycan (pictured) now stands proud as Porsche's third-best-selling model, behind the Macan and the Cayenne and ahead of the Panamera. Upcoming new variants, like the Cross Turismo station wagon expected to break cover in the coming months, will ensure demand for the model stays high.

Blume added Porsche's efforts in digitalization helped it recover more quickly than many of its rivals. Its dealers have invested in digital sales channels, home delivery programs, and subscription services. Going digital also allowed employees at all levels, in the United States and abroad, to continue working during lock-downs.

Navigating the treacherous waters of 2020 has made Porsche more savvy, Blume said, citing three key lessons from the ordeal: to concentrate on the essentials, to be organized and to help communities in need.

After taking steps to keep its employees safe and healthy, it analyzed where to allocate its resources and reached out to community leaders to offer its assistance. "We as a company feel responsible for the community," he stressed. In Germany, Porsche's purchasing experience helped government officials buy medical supplies. In Spain, its employees cooked meals for people in need. In the United States, it raised over $500,000 for the United Way's Community Response and Recovery Fund by auctioning a limited-edition 911 Speedster.

"Of course, there is still much uncertainty, but in the United States we are rebounding faster than we expected at the beginning of the pandemic," Blume concluded.
Source
Old 11-06-20, 11:06 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

My neighbor just got his delivered.
Old 11-06-20, 12:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I love the artificial sound on those things. Sounds like piloting a spaceship
Old 11-06-20, 12:38 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that exterior looks goofy - going to look really dated in just a few years. Other than the 911, Boxter and Cayman - I notice this is a general thing with Porches (please don't tell me that the Panamera looks good in any way)
Old 11-23-20, 04:15 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default The Porsche Taycan sets Guinness world record for longest electric drift

It went round and round for 55 minutes

It sounds like a wedding dance, but electric drift is the latest automotively themed Guinness record to be set. To be specific, it has to do with the Porsche Taycan EV, which now holds the world record for longest drift of an electric vehicle. The bar was set at the second German Porsche Experience Center, which opened October 2019 at the Hockenheimring.

The pre-production Taycan drifted for 55 continuous minutes around a 200-foot-long skidpad. Judges, including 2018-19 European drifting champion Denise Ritzmann, were on hand to check if the front tires ever pointed in the same direction as the curve. But PEC chief instructor Dennis Retera was able to hold the car in oppo for the entire 210 laps, or 42.171 kilometers. The average speed was 28.6 mph. Driving stability programs were all switched off, of course.

For drifting purists, this may seem like a cop-out, as the PEC had sprinklers irrigating the track to keep it low-traction. A more true-to-form feat would have been a record-setting drift in dry conditions, tires squealing and smoking in protest.

Regardless, it's an accomplishment. Retera said that it was "Very tiring for me to keep my concentration high for 210 laps." The Dutchman continued, "I concentrated on controlling the drift with the steering – this is more efficient than using the accelerator pedal and reduces the risk of spinning.”

It should be pointed out though, that the Taycan in question is a rear-wheel-drive model, which hasn't been confirmed for the United States. It is for sale in China, though, minus one electric motor from the AWD version. It's still good for 402 horsepower with a 79.2 kWh Performance Battery, or 469 horses with the 93.4 kWh Performance Battery Plus. It costs about 20% less than the AWD Taycan, so if the U.S. pricing structure matched China's it could cost around $85,000. Porsche says its U.S. availability is "in consideration".
Source
Old 12-15-20, 03:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This came on big screen tonight.

This thing is amazing. I love how Porsche has assimilated the car so perfectly within its brand.

Great review. Lots of interesting stuff.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-20 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)