EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I got to sit in a couple when I took my friend to take delivery of her 911. Pretty sharp. I've seen a few around town too, surprisingly every one I have seen has been driven by a woman.

Can't say I agree with calling an electric car "Turbo" lol
Old 01-20-21, 07:22 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just saw an email this morning from Porsche and it looks like the "cheaper" Taycan will be here (in the US) in the spring. Starting at $79,900 before the tax credit make it an interesting option, IMO.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelsta...utm_content=EN

Old 01-20-21, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Porsche Taycan gets a new rear-drive model

Porsche has announced that the Taycan EV is getting a rear-wheel-drive version that is considerably more affordable.

Joining the Taycan 4S, Turbo and Turbo S is the entry-level model that will simply be called Taycan. Done and done: Porsche says it's already on sale in the United States. Once you've ordered, you'll be able to track the car's progress from build to delivery via smartphone. It will arrive soon, in early spring.
Now, what we didn't predict this morning was the price, which we figured would be under $100,000. Not even close. The simpler Taycan will start at $81,250 when you count the $1,350 destination fee. That's a considerable number considering that the next step up, the Taycan 4S, lists for $105,150 including delivery, while the top-shelf Taycan Turbo S starts at $186,350.And of course the just-call-me Taycan still qualifies for the $7,500 federal EV tax credit, plus whatever state EV incentives you might qualify for in your locale.

In addition to a lighter price, this Taycan weighs in about 200 pounds less than its companions, thanks to losing the hardware for driving the front wheels.

The Taycan's not-greasy bits will be identical to the 4S in the back — they'll share the same rear power unit and battery setup. And it will have the same two-speed transaxle as the rest of the Taycan lineup. Brakes and the standard 19-inch wheels are also similar, though the calipers will be painted black on the Taycan and red on the 4S, and the base model's wheels will be silver rather than the 4S' polished wheels with black accents. The regenerative braking is the same.

You'll have the choice of two battery pack sizes: the standard Performance Battery, at 79.2 kWh, with a charge rate of up to 225 kW, or the Performance Battery Plus, at 93.4 kWh and the ability to charge at 270 kW, in preparation for a future in which chargers can do such a thing. (The latest V3 Supercharger from Tesla peaks out at 250 kW.) Also, the bigger battery will gain you back 170 of those pounds. Porsche says either battery pack can be charged from a 5% level to 80% in 22.5 minutes, if the conditions of car, temperature and DC fast charger are ideal.

Though it may cost considerably less than the other Taycans, Stuttgart points out that it is the most powerful base model Porsche has ever made. The Performance Battery can produce up to 402 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque from its single rear motor. The Performance Battery Plus boosts output to bursts of 469 hp and 263 lb-ft of torque, an increase seemingly offset by the 170-pound weight gain between the batteries, as Porsche says either option will do 0-to-60 mph in the same 5.1 seconds. They also share the same top speed of 143 mph. The larger pack gets the Taycan through a quarter-mile two-tenths quicker, at 13.5 seconds.

Brake upgrades and 20- or 21-inch wheels are still options, as is adaptive air suspension. Porsche Active Suspension Management is standard. The infotainment features available on all the other Taycans are standard here, as are over-the-air updates and three years of Electrify America charging privileges. And of course there are loads of options and colors to choose from.

In European WLTP testing, the Taycan got 267 miles of range from the smaller battery, and 300 miles from the bigger one. EPA mileage results aren't out yet, but based on those WLTP numbers, we figure a lighter Taycan spinning one fewer motor will come out considerably higher than the Taycan 4S' EPA rating of 203 miles.
Source
Old 01-20-21, 11:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Taycan's do better than EPA ratings because of how the EPA assumes mixed usage scenarios in testing. With the 2 speed transmission in the Taycan, it is more efficient at fast highway speeds than Teslas (above 75mph). If you get a lot of city driving, the Tesla gets close to EPA ratings which are a lot higher but I bet for most Americans, the Taycan would get about 250 miles of actual range which is excellent for a performance EV. Its a beautiful car.
Old 01-20-21, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its a beautiful car.
It really is.
Old 05-22-21, 01:48 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Yikes... hope they issue a recall soon.

We may give Tesla flack for its shoddy build quality, but at least the fundamentals of their cars is strong enough to not have a problem this catastrophic at the heart of an EV.

Porsche Taycan investigated for total loss of power while driving

Porsche's electric luxury sedan, the Taycan, is now under investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The agency said this week in a document that its Office of Defects Investigation opened a probe into the 2020-2021 Taycan after receiving nine complaints from owners about a total loss of power while driving.It's unclear how many cars the NHTSA wants to have a look at as the population of vehicles listed on the document reads "confidential." Automotive News first reported Friday the agency identified 12,146 Taycan sedans as possible candidates for the defect. Porsche told the publication it only delivered 6,552 Taycans during NHTSA's timeframe.

Porsche told Roadshow in a statement, "Our first priority is the safety of anyone traveling in one of our cars. We are aware of nine customer complaints and have, as a result, received the NHTSA inquiry, which is a routine part of their oversight process. We are already underway in addressing this issue and look forward to answering the NHTSA's questions and quickly resolving the underlying issue, should one be confirmed." The spokesperson affirmed the brand had only delivered 6,552 units and added, "All Taycans remain safe to drive -- we are not aware of accidents reported in connection with this issue."

As for the potential problem with the vehicles, owner complaints said the electric sedan loses all power without any warning while driving. During or shortly after the stall, a warning message displays describing a battery fault. So far, all the NHTSA has said is loss of power in the auxiliary 12-volt battery may end up shutting down all electrical power in the car -- even in the car's main battery to power the vehicle. Six of the nine complaints with NHTSA described a situation where owners could not restart their cars.

The preliminary investigation remains ongoing, and should the agency find a problem, it may send a recall request to Porsche.
Old 05-26-21, 06:43 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the look of this car. Does anyone know how well it is doing in sales? I've only seen about 10 since it was released.
Old 05-27-21, 08:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Love the look of this car. Does anyone know how well it is doing in sales? I've only seen about 10 since it was released.
It was doing well at launch - now its collecting dust at dealers.
Good time to get cheap lease deal on them.

Old 05-27-21, 08:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Yikes... hope they issue a recall soon.

We may give Tesla flack for its shoddy build quality, but at least the fundamentals of their cars is strong enough to not have a problem this catastrophic at the heart of an EV.

Porsche Taycan investigated for total loss of power while driving

This is more of a software programming rather than build quality which is much superior on a Porsche vs Tesla.

Tesla is a Tech company first that is why their battery operations are way superior to the traditional auto manufacturers. That’s why ppl saying that Tesla will not exist don’t understand the amount of battery tech development they have over the other companies.
Old 05-27-21, 09:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is more of a software programming rather than build quality which is much superior on a Porsche vs Tesla.

Tesla is a Tech company first that is why their battery operations are way superior to the traditional auto manufacturers. That’s why ppl saying that Tesla will not exist don’t understand the amount of battery tech development they have over the other companies.
I have no doubt that Porsche has far superior build quality vs Tesla. And Tesla's battery tech isn't that impressive, it's not like they made any break throughs, they are using existing tech, with known optimization methods. I'm much more interested in the solid state battery tech that Toyota has been heavily investing into.

That being said, all Teslas are conceived as EVs, while the Taycan and most other EVs are heavily modified ICE platforms, and thus compromised in comparison.
Old 05-27-21, 09:25 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

When I looked at this recently and commented on what looked like a very cramped rear seat (legroom), I was introduced to the term "foot garage." "We built a foot garage where the battery does not impact foot room in the back seat as the passenger can put their feet directly under the seat in front of them for extra room." I had to laugh.
Old 05-27-21, 10:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I have no doubt that Porsche has far superior build quality vs Tesla. And Tesla's battery tech isn't that impressive, it's not like they made any break throughs, they are using existing tech, with known optimization methods. I'm much more interested in the solid state battery tech that Toyota has been heavily investing into.

That being said, all Teslas are conceived as EVs, while the Taycan and most other EVs are heavily modified ICE platforms, and thus compromised in comparison.
You are underestimating the software engineering that goes into running the battery and mating it to transmission, cooling, optimization etc.
Tesla superiority in this regard is unmatched and im sure is proprietary to them.

Same thing how nobody can just engineer a flat 6 engine similar to Porsche.
Old 05-27-21, 10:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You are underestimating the software engineering that goes into running the battery and mating it to transmission, cooling, optimization etc.
Tesla superiority in this regard is unmatched and im sure is proprietary to them.

Same thing how nobody can just engineer a flat 6 engine similar to Porsche.
Other companies are expanding their software development capabilities as well. Look at all the optimizations that go into turbo engines today vs a decade ago, speak to tuners that have access to leaks from factory engineers.

Not trying to downplay Teslas accomplishments, but other manufacturers haven’t really been seriously investing into EVs yet. Even the Taycan is a modified ICE platform.
Old 05-27-21, 11:27 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

It was doing well at launch - now its collecting dust at dealers.
Good time to get cheap lease deal on them.
Collecting dust? More like collecting $$$. You'd be lucky to get 5% off MSRP. There were lots of people that have interest when I went for a test drive.

Porsche Taycan sales surge as the electric vehicle becomes one of the brand's most important cars - Electrek
Old 05-27-21, 12:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
Collecting dust? More like collecting $$$. You'd be lucky to get 5% off MSRP. There were lots of people that have interest when I went for a test drive.

Porsche Taycan sales surge as the electric vehicle becomes one of the brand's most important cars - Electrek
My local dealer has 30 of them in stock - plenty of discounts available.
Please shop around if your dealer is not offering discounts.

Quick Reply: Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)