EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Porsche Taycan (interior revealed post #104)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21, 05:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Porsche is a luxury brand. Tesla is premium tech so not really comparable. The Model S is oooold. They discontinued it until the new version is released in June. Let's see how the Taycan fares against the new Model S. No excuses if Model S loses and vice versa.
If Porsche can sell miscellaneous interior trim bits worth tens of thousands, Tesla should too. Hopefully the next Model S has a proper interior.
Old 05-30-21, 05:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
If Porsche can sell miscellaneous interior trim bits worth tens of thousands, Tesla should too. Hopefully the next Model S has a proper interior.
It won't. Just 2 flavors which is black or white. They don't do luxury well. It's purely sport /tech so not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 05-30-21, 05:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Car & Driver tested the Taycan vs the S. 1st place went to the S. However, as for sport, the Taycan eats the S alive. Didn’t take them long to beat Tesla. The S rides on an ancient chassis and the plaid model will perform well but will not be better than than the Porsche.
Old 05-30-21, 05:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Car & Driver tested the Taycan vs the S. 1st place went to the S. However, as for sport, the Taycan eats the S alive. Didn’t take them long to beat Tesla. The S rides on an ancient chassis and the plaid model will perform well but will not be better than than the Porsche.
Let's see. They've been lapping Laguna Seca pretty fast. If the specs are true, it's going to embarrass the Taycan. Let's revisit this in 2 weeks when people start taking deliveries.

Old 05-30-21, 05:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Really? The Taycan rides on a modified ICE platform, while Tesla is a dedicated EV from the very start. There is car reviewer in Russia who tester they Taycan by driving it very hard, and he's got 60 miles of range out of it.

I don't doubt that Porsche with their near century of expertise in building sport card, with a sport car platform, bigger tires, bigger brakes, etc is a sportier car than Tesla, but when it comes to the essence, Tesla is still on top.
Old 05-30-21, 05:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Really? The Taycan rides on a modified ICE platform, while Tesla is a dedicated EV from the very start. There is car reviewer in Russia who tester they Taycan by driving it very hard, and he's got 60 miles of range out of it.

I don't doubt that Porsche with their near century of expertise in building sport card, with a sport car platform, bigger tires, bigger brakes, etc is a sportier car than Tesla, but when it comes to the essence, Tesla is still on top.
Yeah….stats at Car and Driver with the test. Some S models will be a little better, but not top spec. Especially for road handling, braking etc.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ng-range-plus/
Old 05-30-21, 05:52 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Tesla are lazy manufacturer they will never offer the level of customization available by Porsche. Tesla doesn’t even have speedometer on M3 just to make assembly simpler. No comparison.
Old 05-30-21, 05:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och

It's easy to beat an older car when you release a new one. The Model S tested was even inferior to the Model 3 in some ways like lack of cooling and lack of Track Mode. The new Model S Plaid will release in June and Tesla is advertising low 9s quarter mile times. That will completely annihilate a Taycan Turbo S. The Plaid Plus coming next year will be in the high 8s range in the quarter which makes it illegal to run without a parachute on many drag strips.

Fun times for EVs
Old 05-30-21, 05:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yeah….stats at Car and Driver with the test. Some S models will be a little better, but not top spec. Especially for road handling, braking etc.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ng-range-plus/
I quickly skipped through the article. They tested the Tesla with all season tires vs the Taycan with much bigger high performance tires. Again, I don't doubt the Taycan is a better sports car, but Tesla has never claimed to be all out sports cars. They build sporty, futuristic sedans and SUVs with the best EV tech, range, and charging that coincidentally can out accelerate most sport cars in a straight line, even with narrow all season tires.

Last edited by Och; 05-30-21 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-30-21, 06:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I quickly skipped through the article. They tested the Tesla with all season tires vs the Taycan with much bigger high performance tires. Again, I don't doubt the Taycan is a better sports car, but Tesla has never claimed to be all out sports cars. They build sporty, futuristic sedans and SUVs with the best EV tech, range, and charging that coincidentally can out accelerate most sport cars in a straight line, even with narrow all season tires.
‘regardless of what tires or which brand is the sports car or luxury. It didn’t take long for Porsche to catch or exceed the S in many aspects. This is Porsche’s first ever try at an EV, Telsa has 18 or so year. . It can only get better as the Taycan is heavier, I am sure we will see better performance as well. I think Porsche does better in cold weather with their battery or hits their EPA figures better…I remember something like that.
Old 05-30-21, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
Tesla are lazy manufacturer they will never offer the level of customization available by Porsche. Tesla doesn’t even have speedometer on M3 just to make assembly simpler. No comparison.
‘Lots of features missing from the S.
Old 05-30-21, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dojoman
They probably do not have manufacturing capacities yet, they have only been making cars for a decade. They source a lot of parts from other cars. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...her-cars-have/

Hopefully as they expand their capabilities, they will start getting serious about quality, premium materials, and customization.
Old 05-30-21, 07:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

‘regardless of what tires or which brand is the sports car or luxury. It didn’t take long for Porsche to catch or exceed the S in many aspects. This is Porsche’s first ever try at an EV, Telsa has 18 or so year. . It can only get better as the Taycan is heavier, I am sure we will see better performance as well. I think Porsche does better in cold weather with their battery or hits their EPA figures better…I remember something like that.
It is heavy because it is compromised to begin with, it was not conceived as a true EV, but rather a heavily modified ICE platform. Porsche has a near century advantage on Tesla when it comes to engineering, production capacity, sources, experience, etc - but when it comes to the essence of the electric drivetrain they are still a far cry from the aging model S.