EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

BMW says electrification is overhyped

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 08:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW says electrification is overhyped

Diesel engines have at least 20 more years

At least 80 percent of 2025 sales will have an internal combustion engine

BMW isn't convinced that the end is nigh for the internal combustion engine.

The diesel engine still has oodles of time left in the world, and the shift to electrification is overhyped, says the BMW Group board member for development, Klaus Frohlich. A report from Automotive News quotes Frohlich declaring that the diesel engine still has at least 20 more years, and the gasoline engine, at least 30 years. Also, he toned down the general rhetoric surrounding electric cars and their impending takeover.

"The shift to electrification is overhyped. Battery-electric vehicles cost more in terms of raw materials for batteries. This will continue and could eventually worsen as demand for these raw materials increases," Frohlich says. Needless to say, that kind of talk sounds a bit different than what we hear from Tesla and other electric car backers.

So even though BMW continues to say it's actively developing and pursuing all-electric models, doubt remains. That is clear across the industry, as everyone who produces electric cars struggles to make a profit selling those vehicles. However, Frohlich did detail a few internal combustion engines that don't appear to have a way forward.

The quad-turbo six-cylinder diesel offered in Europe doesn't have a long shelf life, as Froelich declared it too expensive and complicated to build. He says the most turbos we should expect to see on a new BMW diesel engine is three. What a shame, right? We kid, three turbos are plenty. Another diesel engine on the outs is the 1.5-liter three-cylinder only offered in Europe. Frohlich says that particular oil-burner is too expensive to try and get it to comply with emissions standards.

An engine that'll hit home in America is the 6.6-liter twin-turbo V12 found in the top-level 7 Series. Frohlich didn't mince words when it came to that one.

"Each year, we have to invest to update the V12 to new emissions regulations, particularly in China. And when the V-12 accounts for about 5,000 sales a year globally, this includes Rolls-Royce, the cost of these updates is several thousand euros per unit," Frohlich says.

BMW has previously committed to keeping this engine around through 2023, at the very least in the U.S. market. What happens after that is a discussion for another day. Additionally Frohlich says BMW is working on a market case to keep its V8 gasoline engine around. That'll be paired with some form of electrification in the future, though, specifically to deal with countries that have heavy taxes added for high carbon dioxide output.
Source
Old 06-27-19, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

BMW isn't convinced that the end is nigh for the internal combustion engine.

The diesel engine still has oodles of time left in the world, and the shift to electrification is overhyped, says the BMW Group board member for development, Klaus Frohlich. A report from Automotive News quotes Frohlich declaring that the diesel engine still has at least 20 more years, and the gasoline engine, at least 30 years. Also, he toned down the general rhetoric surrounding electric cars and their impending takeover.

"The shift to electrification is overhyped. Battery-electric vehicles cost more in terms of raw materials for batteries. This will continue and could eventually worsen as demand for these raw materials increases," Frohlich says. Needless to say, that kind of talk sounds a bit different than what we hear from Tesla and other electric car backers.

I don't always agree with BMW, but they are spot-on with this assessment.
Old 06-27-19, 09:04 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Forget cost. For those people that can afford it, where do you charge it outside of your home or on long road trips that doesnt require a minimum of 30 to 60 mins of charging time or have enough charging stations to charge the things.
Old 06-27-19, 09:04 AM
Hoovey689

They aren't wrong. It's just funny that they have been championing 'i' vehicles and 'e-Drive', and then suddenly come out with this statement
Old 06-27-19, 09:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They aren't wrong. It's just funny that they have been championing 'i' vehicles and 'e-Drive', and then suddenly come out with this statement
if those "i" and "e" vehicles are anything to go by, BMW isnt exactly lighting the world on fire or even putting any effort into those models.
Old 06-27-19, 09:11 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by situman
if those "i" and "e" vehicles are anything to go by, BMW isnt exactly lighting the world on fire or even putting any effort into those models.
I'd tend to agree. I think VAG and Tesla lead the pack when it comes to electrification, meanwhile Benz and Jaguar are building steam in their own right. BMW to me has always had this 'air of superiority' bestowed upon themselves because they are good at marketing
Old 06-27-19, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

'building steam' - that was unintentionally funny.

despite all the tesla noise, electric vehicle sales are tiny. large adoption simply won't happen until the vehicles are cheaper, charging is faster, range is longer.
Old 06-27-19, 10:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds right, electrics are over hyped and there is little demand aside from image conscious parts of California mainly for Tesla's. They are way too compromised.
Old 06-27-19, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

despite all the tesla noise, electric vehicle sales are tiny. large adoption simply won't happen until the vehicles are cheaper, charging is faster, range is longer.
I agree with all your points
Old 06-27-19, 10:15 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,845 Likes on 2,404 Posts

I'm sure this makes Tesla happy.
Old 06-27-19, 10:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Forget cost. For those people that can afford it, where do you charge it outside of your home or on long road trips that doesnt require a minimum of 30 to 60 mins of charging time or have enough charging stations to charge the things.
Long trip? That's why we kept the Odyssey . I'm in Central NJ and over the past few weeks have been driving down to DE for a work project which is about ~120 miles one way. If I charge to 100%, I'll arrive with about 65-68%. If I'm there for the day, I'll have more than enough to get back home even with Sentry mode on. If it's an multi night trip, a 15-30 minute stop at the local supercharger will get me ~125 additional miles of range.

The 3 handles 99.9% of my typical driving and atypical with the trips down to DE. With the GS, Ody, and CX-5 our gas bill was ranged between $300 - $400 per month. Since we replaced the CX-5 and GS, our gas bill has been $40/month. We've got solar on the house too so we're paying nothing to charge the cars too.

The old fast, cheap, or good matrix V3 supercharger roll out should be pretty good. Model 3 can go from 9% charge to 80% in about 25 minutes or so. The not a refresh, refreshed LR S gets 370 miles per full charge, but older battery chemistry means it doesn't charge as fast. Official refresh of the S should be interesting!
Old 06-27-19, 12:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Long trip? That's why we kept the Odyssey . I'm in Central NJ and over the past few weeks have been driving down to DE for a work project which is about ~120 miles one way. If I charge to 100%, I'll arrive with about 65-68%. If I'm there for the day, I'll have more than enough to get back home even with Sentry mode on. If it's an multi night trip, a 15-30 minute stop at the local supercharger will get me ~125 additional miles of range.

The 3 handles 99.9% of my typical driving and atypical with the trips down to DE. With the GS, Ody, and CX-5 our gas bill was ranged between $300 - $400 per month. Since we replaced the CX-5 and GS, our gas bill has been $40/month. We've got solar on the house too so we're paying nothing to charge the cars too.

The old fast, cheap, or good matrix V3 supercharger roll out should be pretty good. Model 3 can go from 9% charge to 80% in about 25 minutes or so. The not a refresh, refreshed LR S gets 370 miles per full charge, but older battery chemistry means it doesn't charge as fast. Official refresh of the S should be interesting!
I think BEV's are great like what Allen says, and they are certainly the way to the future just like the original $5,000.00 2.7 Megapixel Nikon D1 digital SLR camera first released in 1999.
How many megapixels does your camera have now, and the body no longer costs US$15,000.00 right?
Just remember how much $15,000 could buy back in 1999?

However, presently at the end of the day, BEV's are still more expensive overall than ICE - once the replacement battery pack is included.
Tesla has no experience in producing the interior of the motor vehicle, nor long term reliability either.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I'm sure this makes Tesla happy.
Yes, this is the only way Tesla can survive - if everyone else holds back, or if the big players take too long to move into EV's - thus allowing Tesla to establish themselves, by producing decent interiors, and more reliable products.

However, if the big players move into EV's quickly enough, and Tesla doesn't have time to establish a footing, then Tesla may be bought out by the bigger players.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-28-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 12:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think BEV's are great like what Allen says, and they are certainly the way to the future just like the original $15,000.00 2.7 Megapixel Nikon D1 digital SLR camera first released in 1999.However, presently at the end of the day, BEV's are still more expensive overall than ICE - once the replacement battery pack is included.
Tesla has no experience in producing the interior of the motor vehicle, nor long term reliability either.Yes, this is the only way Tesla can survive - if everyone else holds back.
However, if the big players move into EV's, then Tesla may be bought out by the bigger players.

The longevity of the battery is greatly underestimated. The vast majority of Tesla batteries can go over 150k miles with 80-90% capacity remaining. Chances are, the TCO for my Tesla will be significantly cheaper than a fully loaded IS350 at $50k at a different performance class.
Old 06-27-19, 12:54 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Replacement battery packs are covered for the first 8 years / 120K miles for my 3s and are guaranteed to maintain a minimum of 70% retention over that time period. Current data on the S's show about a 15% degradation over 150K miles or so
Old 06-27-19, 01:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
BMW to me has always had this 'air of superiority' bestowed upon themselves because they are good at marketing
And this "electrification is overhyped" statement is exactly that -- a marketing statement.

I see it as no different from Toyota's public skepticism regarding EVs from a few years ago. These are all marketing statements to manage customer expectations.

Quick Reply: BMW says electrification is overhyped