EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Mercedes EQS flagship

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-21 | 09:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Autoweek

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...plus-ev-drive/
Old 12-19-21 | 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It get how people say it’s goofy. But I think it works. Strange

EQS AMG Autoblog
Old 12-20-21 | 04:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Cnet, another bunch of tech guys
so what, tech people are allowed to have opinions too.

ok, how about bloomberg...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-range-anxiety

quoting this just for you.

let’s not even get started on the styling, which resembles a 5,800-pound whale trying to go unnoticed. Family members over the age of 60 loved it—and those under 40 didn’t.

on the last part, this car will be probably be bought by more people 60+ than 40-

and moreover...

What Mercedes is providing is a spacious, powerful, elegant, and advanced saloon that makes its passengers feel comfortable and confident—and also happens to be electric.

Old 12-20-21 | 02:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the first AMG version... sportier, faster, better braking... and i think it looks AWESOME in this matte gray.

Old 12-20-21 | 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so what, tech people are allowed to have opinions too.
Of course, but it makes the point that this car is going to appeal to non-car folks more than car folks, like the original Prius did. People bought Priuses because they had to for the gas savings, but the people that loved Priuses were a certain type of people...tech people who liked the weird styling or at least didn't care what a car looked like. I know because I had one at the time. This car will do well with those folks, but I don't see it winning over ICE flagship buyers like me as an example, which is a shame since winning over those buyers is an important part of mainstreaming EVs.

As a car enthusiast, what tech magazines think of a car doesn't move the needle for me. Bloomberg either. For a car at this price level, a much higher % of people are enthusiasts.
Old 12-21-21 | 09:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, but it makes the point that this car is going to appeal to non-car folks more than car folks, like the original Prius did.
you're saying tech enthusiasts are non-car folks? not sure how you can make that correlation.
Old 12-21-21 | 10:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

you're saying tech enthusiasts are non-car folks? not sure how you can make that correlation.
I’m not really buying his spiel at all if I have to be honest. Anecdotally, if you were to peruse the parking garage of any of the tech companies around here pre-pandemic it would become very obvious there are many tech people that are also car enthusiasts. High end car auctions are another interesting one to watch, lots of tech money there too.

In any event, it will be interesting to see what people are trading in to buy an EQS. Based on the people I interacted with when I test drove one, there will be plenty of people driving big luxobarges that will be switching over to the EQS. The people that are obsessed with tech above all else and are amused by cars that can make fart noises on command already bought a Tesla.
Old 12-21-21 | 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I make it very easily. Sure someone can be both, but there are absolutely tech enthusiasts and car enthusiasts. Magazines/sites like CNET and PCMag are geared towards tech enthusiasts not car enthusiasts. CNET has more car content but their car content is very focused on the tech thats in cars.

These consumers are attracted to cars because of their technology, things like styling and other characteristics of a car dont really matter to them, because they dont really care about cars.
Old 12-21-21 | 11:18 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I make it very easily. Sure someone can be both, but there are absolutely tech enthusiasts and car enthusiasts. Magazines/sites like CNET and PCMag are geared towards tech enthusiasts not car enthusiasts. CNET has more car content but their car content is very focused on the tech thats in cars.

These consumers are attracted to cars because of their technology, things like styling and other characteristics of a car dont really matter to them, because they dont really care about cars.
CNET’s roadshow is hardly primarily focused on the tech in cars. For example, one of their recent articles signaled that the Audi R8 is more pure and better in RWD form, which doesn’t really fit the narrative: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-audi-r8-rwd-first-drive-review/

I actually know one of the writers for road show. His content doesn’t seem much different than when he was writing for his previous gig at another automotive reviewer.

Last edited by TangoRed; 12-21-21 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-21-21 | 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
CNET’s roadshow is hardly primarily focused on the tech in cars. For example, one of their recent articles signaled that the Audi R8 is more pure and better in RWD form, which doesn’t really fit the narrative
I know, I watch it/read it all the time. CNETs focus is definitely on tech, and their car focus comes from them being an extension of tech but has evolved.
Old 12-23-21 | 11:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i'd say a far greater percentage of 'tech' people are 'car folks' (to use your phrase) than 'non-tech people'.

but anyway, you're saying cnet focuses on car tech, ok, i'll take your word for it, i don't watch car stuff there much, but it's too broad a statement to say whatever cnet focuses on is what 'tech' people do.

i'm a complete nerd but i got an LC500. although if they hadn't added android auto for '21 i might not have got it.
Old 12-23-21 | 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does CNET have a legit pay to view product (in print as well) or is it all free? If not, they are meaningless and just a tech site.....it serves their best interest to like the new EQS..as it means eyeballs which means revenues.
Old 12-24-21 | 06:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Doug DeMuro is blown away...

Old 12-24-21 | 08:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

https://youtu.be/8MwPl7fjVVo
​​​​​​ Doug is the pickiest reviewer I've ever watched. If he loves it, it must be special
Old 12-24-21 | 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://youtu.be/8MwPl7fjVVo
Doug gives it the same "Doug" score as the LS500h

Quick Reply: Mercedes EQS flagship