EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Mercedes EQS flagship

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-23 | 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s not as smooth as an EV obviously, but it’s smooth in a different way. There’s a level of appreciation for the smoothness of the engine that you don’t get in an EV. Every EV is smooth, not every engine is that smooth.

Let’s put it this way, the EV makes me not want a V6 or a 4 cyl or whatever but I still find the smooth V8 compelling.
Old 10-27-23 | 06:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
No gas engines are as smooth as an electric motor. That’s why Rolls Royce is moving from their V12s (known for being the closest thing to an electric motor in terms of smoothness) to electric motors.

They said that electric motors are perfectly matched for Rolls Royce vehicles and that even one of the founders knew electric motors would be perfect for their vehicles all the way back in 1900.

In 1900, Charles Rolls said
Haha Charles Rolls must of been way ahead of his time. Again, electric motors operate at a completely different level. Imagine twin turbos kicking in, except in this case from 0 and never letting up. And they do it with almost no nvh
Old 10-27-23 | 06:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s not as smooth as an EV obviously, but it’s smooth in a different way. There’s a level of appreciation for the smoothness of the engine that you don’t get in an EV. Every EV is smooth, not every engine is that smooth.

Let’s put it this way, the EV makes me not want a V6 or a 4 cyl or whatever but I still find the smooth V8 compelling.
Yeah, that I agree on. 100 percent I could never go back to a four cylinder, turbocharged or not
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23 | 07:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Turbo 4-cylinder hybrid is the foundation of Toyota's strategy currently which is why I will never buy another new Toyota among other reasons. I'd buy an EQS before any new Toyota.
SW17LS (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23 | 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Turbo 4-cylinder hybrid is the foundation of Toyota's strategy currently which is why I will never buy another new Toyota among other reasons. I'd buy an EQS before any new Toyota.
Well there’s a vehicle quality difference there. I don’t care for the EQS but I too would much rather have an EQS than any new Toyota lol
Old 10-27-23 | 07:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Well there’s a vehicle quality difference there. I don’t care for the EQS but I too would much rather have an EQS than any new Toyota lol
What about the LS500? Hard pass for me no V-8. And soon it will either have no V-6 or the model won't exist at all. What about the 2024 Land Cruiser it starts at $55,000 and goes way up from there. 2.4 liter 4-cylinder are you kidding me? Land Cruiser is suppose to have a silky straight-6 or V-8. 4 banger is a disgrace to the badge but since Toyota hates electric vehicles this is what we get. Land Cruiser became one of the best vehicles ever because it always had an overbuilt engine and over built everything now it's a cheap toy. Shameful.

Props to Mercedes for even doing the EQS they could have pulled a Toyota or Lexus instead they went all out.
AMIRZA786 (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23 | 08:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would probably take an LS500 over an EQS. Land Cruiser just an entirely different type of vehicle and not really comparable, but I would take the EQS just because it’s more my kind of vehicle.
Old 10-27-23 | 08:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Land Cruiser just an entirely different type of vehicle and not really comparable...
In North America it is similar, a luxury item. Plush interior, silent smooth engine loaded with safety features. Upper trim V-8 models are very expensive and have (or had) incredible resale they are heirloom cars. Sure it started out as the most basic vehicle possible but Mercedes does this as well with their G-Wagon. Is Mercedes going to stuff a Camry style engine in it like Toyota did with the Land Cruiser? Somehow I doubt it they'll keep the V-8 or go electric.

Old 10-27-23 | 08:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

What about the LS500? Hard pass for me no V-8. And soon it will either have no V-6 or the model won't exist at all. What about the 2024 Land Cruiser it starts at $55,000 and goes way up from there. 2.4 liter 4-cylinder are you kidding me? Land Cruiser is suppose to have a silky straight-6 or V-8. 4 banger is a disgrace to the badge but since Toyota hates electric vehicles this is what we get. Land Cruiser became one of the best vehicles ever because it always had an overbuilt engine and over built everything now it's a cheap toy. Shameful.

Props to Mercedes for even doing the EQS they could have pulled a Toyota or Lexus instead they went all out.
LS500's TT V6 is actually pretty good. It has plenty of low end torque, the 460's V8 is of course smoother, but I don't think most people really care. I would take the EQS over any Toyota or Lexus simply because none of their engines remotely match the EQS dual motor smoothness, torque or efficiency. I have no desire to ever go back to owning a non EV, unless it's testing out a friend's car or a rental, period
Old 10-27-23 | 08:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LS500's TT V6 is actually pretty good.
There have been complaints of vibration at idle, odd noises, fuel dilution, drivability issues and oil burning. 1UZ-FE and 3UZ-FE are masterpieces in engineering it's not only about raw power. V6 in the LS500 is a glorified Camry engine.
It has plenty of low end torque, the 460's V8 is of course smoother, but I don't think most people really care. I would take the EQS over any Toyota or Lexus simply because none of their engines remotely match the EQS dual motor smoothness, torque or efficiency. I have no desire to ever go back to owning a non EV, unless it's testing out a friend's car or a rental, period
LS500 might sell 2000 units this year I think the EQS sells that in a quarter if not better. Safe to say people don't like the new LS very much. The infotainment tech in the LS is soooo dated, Lexus is Sputnik Mercedes is SpaceX.
AMIRZA786 (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23 | 09:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

There have been complaints of vibration at idle, odd noises, fuel dilution, drivability issues and oil burning. 1UZ-FE and 3UZ-FE are masterpieces in engineering it's not only about raw power. V6 in the LS500 is a glorified Camry engine.

LS500 might sell 2000 units this year I think the EQS sells that in a quarter if not better. Safe to say people don't like the new LS very much. The infotainment tech in the LS is soooo dated, Lexus is Sputnik Mercedes is SpaceX.
Can't argue with that 🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
LeX2K (10-27-23), signdetres (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23 | 09:47 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Let’s put it this way: the EV makes me not want a V6 or a 4 cyl or whatever, but I still find the smooth V8 compelling.
The exhilaration one experiences when engaging the accelerator of an (EV) for the first time is akin to indulging in some pedal therapy. The instant acceleration of an EV has the ability to wipe away any blues and sorrows, albeit temporarily. Analogous to the experience of losing one's virginity, there are many similarities between the two events. The anticipation builds up beforehand, and the first time is always memorable. The first time driving an EV can be confusing, as the driver isn't sure how much acceleration is required. However, they soon realize that they need to ease up as the finish line approaches faster than anticipated. After some practice, the driver becomes familiar with the nuances of driving an EV and gets into the groove. The first time driving an EV is an unforgettable experience, as it is a unique and exciting feeling that cannot be described. The driver knows what to do technically, but the feeling of instantaneous acceleration is something that cannot be explained, and it is a truly unforgettable experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
AMIRZA786 (10-27-23), LeX2K (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23 | 09:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
The exhilaration one experiences when engaging the accelerator of an (EV) for the first time is akin to indulging in some pedal therapy. The instant acceleration of an EV has the ability to wipe away any blues and sorrows, albeit temporarily. Analogous to the experience of losing one's virginity, there are many similarities between the two events. The anticipation builds up beforehand, and the first time is always memorable. The first time driving an EV can be confusing, as the driver isn't sure how much acceleration is required. However, they soon realize that they need to ease up as the finish line approaches faster than anticipated. After some practice, the driver becomes familiar with the nuances of driving an EV and gets into the groove. The first time driving an EV is an unforgettable experience, as it is a unique and exciting feeling that cannot be described. The driver knows what to do technically, but the feeling of instantaneous acceleration is something that cannot be explained, and it is a truly unforgettable experience.
TBH, my first "time" was pretty embarrassing. I hit the finish line way faster than expected

Now my first time driving an EV, that was awesome
Old 10-28-23 | 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In North America it is similar, a luxury item. Plush interior, silent smooth engine loaded with safety features. Upper trim V-8 models are very expensive and have (or had) incredible resale they are heirloom cars. Sure it started out as the most basic vehicle possible but Mercedes does this as well with their G-Wagon. Is Mercedes going to stuff a Camry style engine in it like Toyota did with the Land Cruiser? Somehow I doubt it they'll keep the V-8 or go electric.
The Land Cruiser you describe doesn’t exist anymore. I am talking about the new Land Cruiser.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LS500's TT V6 is actually pretty good. It has plenty of low end torque, the 460's V8 is of course smoother, but I don't think most people really care. I would take the EQS over any Toyota or Lexus simply because none of their engines remotely match the EQS dual motor smoothness, torque or efficiency. I have no desire to ever go back to owning a non EV, unless it's testing out a friend's car or a rental, period
When you look how poorly the LS has done compared to the ancient old model LS460 and its competitors I think it’s obvious people do care. MBWorld is full of people who ran from the LS mostly because of the V8.

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
Oh I totally agree, I love driving an EV…but I also still love driving my V8 Mercedes.
Old 10-28-23 | 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

guys... can we leave the ice vs ev off... this thread should be about the eqs, not ford, lexus, toyota, gas engines, etc.
signdetres (10-28-23)