EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Mercedes EQS flagship

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 09:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Mercedes EQS flagship

This is what Mercedes will be putting forth to take on cars like the Tesla Model S, Porsche Taycan and Audi E-Tron GT

Source
Old 07-25-19, 09:56 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

I know we can't see much right now, but this reminds me of a mix between the LS500 and their previous F700 concept

That said, this type of car coming from Mercedes has my interest.
Old 07-25-19, 10:02 AM
Hoovey689

^^ good point. For me I can see a mix of CLS and F700 cues on the EQS. This car will have a hefty price tag, but it has the badge to back it up. Tesla Model S should be worried.
Old 07-25-19, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

thinking about naming...

if this is the EQS and is electric big sedan, then maybe there would be EQE and EQC for mid and small size, but the EQC is already the new mid size suv.
Old 07-26-19, 03:56 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Tesla Model S should be worried.
The Model S sales in the US have dropped 53.4% ytd over the same period as last year. Even in California where Tesla is the most popular the S sales have dropped 54% from the first quarter to the second quarter of this year. The Model S insurance is the highest of any vehicle. Any savings in electricity over gas is offset by the insurance premium. The $7,500 tax credit is now $1,875 and disappears 1/1/2020. This is with no competition in the luxury market. If this Mercedes and soon Audi and others coming is anywhere close in price to the S with a full $7,500 tax credit will crush the S. This Mercedes will have a 310 mile range. They stated will be launching ten EV by 2022.

Last edited by Freds430; 07-26-19 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-26-19, 08:10 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I noticed a detail on the wheel wells I haven't seen since the 60's. A fender skirt appears to be over the rear wheels. I suppose this is for better aerodynamics on an EV and not for looks.

I must say I'm not digging the swoopy side look and why a grill?

All these proposed EV's we are seeing aren't for at least 2+ years. A lot will change in that time frame.
Old 07-26-19, 08:55 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Freds430
The Model S sales in the US have dropped 53.4% ytd over the same period as last year. Even in California where Tesla is the most popular the S sales have dropped 54% from the first quarter to the second quarter of this year. The Model S insurance is the highest of any vehicle. Any savings in electricity over gas is offset by the insurance premium. The $7,500 tax credit is now $1,875 and disappears 1/1/2020. This is with no competition in the luxury market. If this Mercedes and soon Audi and others coming is anywhere close in price to the S with a full $7,500 tax credit will crush the S. This Mercedes will have a 310 mile range. They stated will be launching ten EV by 2022.
Elon stated they are only refreshing the Model S in the coming years, so GL with that Tesla.. Meanwhile the Europeans are coming. Very curious to see what the Jaguar XJ becomes.
Old 07-26-19, 09:01 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I know we can't see much right now, but this reminds me of a mix between the LS500 and their previous F700 concept

That said, this type of car coming from Mercedes has my interest.
Ah, from the Salvador Dali School of Automotive Design...

By Image taken from About.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20132344
Old 07-26-19, 09:05 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I noticed a detail on the wheel wells I haven't seen since the 60's. A fender skirt appears to be over the rear wheels. I suppose this is for better aerodynamics on an EV and not for looks.
The first-generation Honda Insight hybrid had rear fender skirts, I assume for better aerodynamics.

Courtesy of NetCarShow.com
Old 07-26-19, 09:53 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thinking about naming...

if this is the EQS and is electric big sedan, then maybe there would be EQE and EQC for mid and small size, but the EQC is already the new mid size suv.
yah it is a bit weird. I dont necessarily agree with needing to start a new brand under the EQ nomenclature. Why couldn't they just call it a GLCe because its close enough to the GLC? I guess from now on, they can do the EQC sedan, EQC coupe, EQC SUV, like how they have the GLE and the GLE coupe. same name, two different vehicles.
Old 09-12-19, 02:57 PM
Hoovey689

Default Mercedes-Benz will sell the electric EQS alongside the next S-Class

The Vision EQS concept that Mercedes-Benz unveiled during the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show previews a high-tech flagship scheduled to arrive in showrooms in the early 2020s. It will inevitably overlap with the next-generation S-Class also due out in a couple of years, but it won't replace the model. The German firm announced it plans to sell two range-topping cars side by side, and let customers decide which one best represents the comfort and luxury the three-pointed star stands for.

The production variant of the Vision EQS (pictured) will slot at the top of the EQ sub-brand that Mercedes created to group its electric models under. It will inaugurate a modular platform currently being developed specifically to underpin battery-powered vehicles, and its design language will permeate into other, smaller EQ-badged models scheduled to arrive during the 2020s.

Meanwhile, the S-Class will carry on as the flagship of the entire Mercedes-Benz family. "It’s the symbolic representation of our purpose, our deeper meaning, our raison d’être. The reason we get up in the morning," Mercedes-Benz boss Ola Källenius told Australian website CarAdvice.

It's safe to bet the next S-Class will be available with hybrid power, and we wouldn't be surprised if the entire lineup offers some degree of electrification, but a purely electric model is off the table. Customers who no longer want to pump gas will need to step up to the EQS. Similarly, stylists will differentiate the two models by giving the EQS a more forward-thinking, LED-intensive look, while the S-Class will return with an elegant, stately design that falls in line with the nameplate's heritage.

Insiders suggest Mercedes-Benz will introduce a new S-Class in 2020, possibly at the Geneva auto show, and sales will begin during the 2021 model year. The EQS might not arrive until the 2021 calendar year, meaning it could wear a 2022 label when it reaches American showrooms. Both sedans are well into their respective development process, and we've seen camouflaged test mules racking up miles in the most hostile regions the planet has to offer.

Mercedes-Benz will inaugurate this two-model strategy when it releases the battery-powered EQC to the public in early 2020. It's about the same size as the GLC, but the two models will share showroom space in the foreseeable future.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/12/...qs-ev-s-class/
Old 10-22-19, 05:22 PM
Hoovey689

Default Driving the Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS Concept in Japan

There is something eerie about driving concept cars. It’s not that they’re priceless one-offs, painstakingly created by a host of craftspeople. And it’s not that they’re champingly bridled, powered by a full battery array, yet only able to be driven at 5 mph for safety’s sake. And it’s not that it’s illegal to drive them on public roads, especially in Japan, so you’re forced to conduct yourself in an abandoned-looking bay-front industrial parking lot. It’s creepy because moving around in a vehicle that is, at heart, nothing but a fantasy, lends credence to the underlying delusion, makes such a car seem possible, real. Driving a concept car backfills the uncanny valley.

This is especially true if the concept in question is a Mercedes-EQ sedan, an elegantly ovoid, full-size, battery-powered, ultra-luxury four-door. Mercedes has not made any secret of the fact that it plans to grow its all-electric EQ sub-brand to include an entire vehicle line. And one of them must necessarily be an S-Class-like sedan, a marque signature for decades. In fact, the brand has officially stated that it will sell an all-electric vehicle very much like the Vision EQS Concept, alongside a new gasoline- or hybrid-powered S-Class, starting in the early 2020s.

Though aligned with Mercedes’ stolid and handsomely minimalist design theme, the exteriors of these vehicles will be suitably differentiated, with the EQ version hosting overt and tech-forward LED lighting signatures on the front, rear, and sides, as well as shaved surfacing, and a more futuristic and bowed language. The EQS concept is an exaggerated, perhaps idealized, version of the ultimate aesthetic goal. That's even more obvious in the interior, which really distinguishes the EV.

This is partly because of the new materials presented in the car – microfiber, vegan “leather,” and reprocessed composite scrap wood – are meant to showcase the sub-brand’s focus on sustainability. It’s partly because of the commodious advantage that results from electric vehicles decoupling from design convention: the EQS' in-hub motors push the wheels to the corners, and the car lacks a transmission tunnel, exhaust system, gas tank or big-engine-concealing hood. And it's partly because of the weird bright white seats, floating above the floor like hovercraft, and folded in upon themselves like a chambered nautilus. I kept waiting for them to unfold, and coddle, massage, or swallow me.

But, admittedly, it’s mostly the intended number of screens. Not the quantity, which is definitely notable at seven – one massive panel spanning the width of the dash, one giant tablet arising from the armrest between the front seats, another nearly matching tablet emerging likewise between the back seats, and smaller ones poking up from each armrest like a mirrored compact held at arm’s length. Rather, it’s more their repetitious ubiquity. It’s hard to tell if they’re meant to be observed, or if they’re the thing, hydra-like, doing the observing.

Still, it’s a truly luxurious experience, crafted in an idiom unlike anything else currently on the market. Say what you will about Tesla's achievements, and there are many, but interior elegance is not one of them. In a Model S, material stinginess is claimed as intentional, and as an equity; all the money is in the batteries and software. Mercedes is hoping to combine silence, power, range, and an interior that doesn’t feel made solely of cafeteria trays, felted socks, and 1970s vinyl armchairs. With the EQS concept, it has succeeded.

The car looks badass moving about on its own power, far better than it does on the show stand. And it feels badass too, at once pure and sinister. Or maybe I was just overheating; the windows don't open and there is no functioning HVAC system. Still, when I completed our travels through the bukimina tani (that’s "uncanny valley," in Japanese) I left with a distinctive feeling of having cheated time, having opened a portal into the silent, cosseting, luxury electric vehicular future.
Source
Old 10-22-19, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Mind blown...
Old 10-23-19, 10:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Interior is very cool, but the exterior looks like a melted i8
Old 10-23-19, 03:05 PM
Hoovey689

Still, it’s a truly luxurious experience, crafted in an idiom unlike anything else currently on the market. Say what you will about Tesla's achievements, and there are many, but interior elegance is not one of them. In a Model S, material stinginess is claimed as intentional, and as an equity; all the money is in the batteries and software. Mercedes is hoping to combine silence, power, range, and an interior that doesn’t feel made solely of cafeteria trays, felted socks, and 1970s vinyl armchairs. With the EQS concept, it has succeeded.
Gotta hand it to Mercedes. This IS luxury. It'll be expensive, but it'll be the S-Class of large EV sedans

Quick Reply: Mercedes EQS flagship