EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 04:48 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

From what I can gather Tesla fired the employees that did this, hence why they are former employees talking about it.
employees shouldn’t have the access in the first place without legal request or a high threshold.

The data should be stored encrypted with individual decryption keys only available with a chain of command approvals.
Old 04-08-23, 04:46 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Oh it will only get worse. This is one of the reasons I simply refuse to "own" a car I don't truly own and has any sort of remote connection. It would have to be able to have any external connections be hard disabled and inactive for me to trust it......

Typical cooperate behavior and in a integrated tech item like this totally to be expected. Everything that you have gotten used to with traditional tech will come to plague connected cars, ransomware will eventually become a thing as well.
Old 04-08-23, 05:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
https://youtu.be/3PnZ1szh6Dg

Oh it will only get worse. This is one of the reasons I simply refuse to "own" a car I don't truly own and has any sort of remote connection. It would have to be able to have any external connections be hard disabled and inactive for me to trust it......

Typical cooperate behavior and in a integrated tech item like this totally to be expected. Everything that you have gotten used to with traditional tech will come to plague connected cars, ransomware will eventually become a thing as well.
The day I moved to a smart phone I knew I was giving up privacy. The price I'm willing to pay to live in the modern world. Not isolating myself in a cave. No desire to live in the third world. All modern cars BTW (EV or ICE) are connected, have cameras (usually front and rear) and constantly collecting and sending data.

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-08-23 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-08-23, 05:44 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The day I moved to a smart phone I knew I was giving up privacy. The price I'm willing to pay to live in the modern world. Not isolating myself in a cave. No desire to live in the third world. All modern cars BTW (EV or ICE) are connected and constantly collecting and sending data.
I couldn't have said that any better! 👍 Caves are dark and boring and in the past.

Even basic, boring, single function house hold appliances such as a fridge, are connected to the internet....
Old 04-08-23, 05:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
I couldn't have said that any better! 👍 Caves are dark and boring and in the past.

Even basic, boring, single function house hold appliances such as a fridge, are connected to the internet....
Exactly! If you work for any company, IT people like me and HR have access to terabytes of sensitive employee data. Does that mean you're not going to work for any company? I want to live in the modern world, have good stuff and not have to drive a horse and buggy
Old 04-08-23, 12:21 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Exactly! If you work for any company, IT people like me and HR have access to terabytes of sensitive employee data. Does that mean you're not going to work for any company? I want to live in the modern world, have good stuff and not have to drive a horse and buggy
Working for a good company helps. I gather a lot of the data that HR and security use in their investigations, and we go out of our way to NOT collect sensitive info from health (including mental) and financial-related sites, among others. We don't want the liability of being a custodian of that type of information. A couple of years ago, Intuit changed the login process for Mint.com, and we were briefly intercepting logins. I noticed this and reported it, and within about 2 hrs, we stopped intercepting SSL for the new site. I had a follow-on task to go back and delete the data that we had collected.
Old 04-08-23, 12:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Waymo vs Tesla FSD

Old 04-08-23, 12:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

and you will end up paying more to have a disconnected car as insurance increases premiums for those without telemetry. it could end up becoming illegal as well like those who 'refused' to be told to wear seat belts.
Old 04-08-23, 01:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Working for a good company helps. I gather a lot of the data that HR and security use in their investigations, and we go out of our way to NOT collect sensitive info from health (including mental) and financial-related sites, among others. We don't want the liability of being a custodian of that type of information. A couple of years ago, Intuit changed the login process for Mint.com, and we were briefly intercepting logins. I noticed this and reported it, and within about 2 hrs, we stopped intercepting SSL for the new site. I had a follow-on task to go back and delete the data that we had collected.
That is definitely true. Although I'm the Senior Network Architect and have full access to everything from company data to firewalls, I've always made it a practice to run my user account with low privileges and I never look at data that's private or privileged. But I have access to all root and domain admin/cloud admin accounts. I've only looked at private data, internet usage etc when HR or an authorized department head is investigating an employee, or we see suspicious activity.

There is always going to be bad apple's, but they usually get caught. Especially when they start sharing. Share with one person, that person shares with three others and on and on.

Cars sharing data, the benefits outweighs the risks. As car companies collect data, they can continue to refine their product and in the case of companies like Tesla and Polestar, issue OTA updates to improve their software and fix bug. Also if my car is ever stolen, recover it quickly, as it advertises it's current location in realtime. So yes, I'm all for the fully connected automobile
Old 04-08-23, 04:46 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Yoke v2 coming soon lol

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-v2-y...mmer-2023/amp/

Old 04-08-23, 04:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

lol, that is a Vette C8 wheel! Sooooo much better than the yoke.
Old 04-08-23, 04:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Much better IMO!
Old 04-08-23, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

a square steering WHEEL isn't a yoke. but hey...

guessing that hideous interior is a cybertruck.
Old 04-08-23, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Tesla hit with class-action-suit over car-camera footage.

Moderators.....I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread with this story or add it to an existing Tesla thread.

As if Tesla doesn't have enough other problems with both the company and with Musk himself, now they are being hit with a class-action suit alleging that Tesla employees, without customer-consent, freely passed and shared information derived from the cameras inside Tesla vehicles. This article from the Washington Post gives the details.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...aring-footage/

Tesla workers shared, mocked drivers’ car camera footage, lawsuit says

By Dan Rosenzweig-Ziff

April 8, 2023 at 6:23 p.m. EDTTesla vehicles at a launch event in Bangkok in December. (Tassanee Vejpongsa/AP)

Tesla employees internally shared private, sometimes embarrassing photos and videos captured by car cameras without customers’ consent, violating privacy rights afforded by California law, a class-action lawsuit filed Friday alleged.

The footage, taken between 2019 and 2022, included a naked man approaching a Tesla, people’s children, and videos of crashes and road rage, according to a complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

The lawsuit alleges employees were not sharing these images for business use, “but for the tasteless and tortious entertainment of Tesla employees, and perhaps those outside the company, and the humiliation of those surreptitiously recorded.”

The footage was also the subject of jokes in group chats, according to the complaint.

The suit was filed after the allegations were first reported by Reuters on Thursday. It drew many of its examples from that news report.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment Saturday afternoon.

How Elon Musk knocked Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ off course

Anyone who owned or leased a Tesla since 2019 is eligible to join the suit, which aims to force the company to compensate customers for the cost or partial cost of their vehicles. The exact amount would be determined at a trial.

The suit also asks the court to compel Tesla to stop “recording, viewing, and sharing” images captured by the car cameras and to destroy any personal data obtained in violation of state privacy laws. A judge must first conclude it is an appropriate class-action lawsuit.

The plaintiff in the suit is Henry Yeh, a resident of San Francisco who owns a 2022 Tesla Model Y. That model and many others have a driver-facing camera in addition to eight cameras to capture the area surrounding the vehicle. Those cameras could capture footage of the inside ofcustomers’ homes or garages, the suit claimed.

“No one consented to Tesla’s employees using their images for amusement,” Jack Fitzgerald, one of Yeh’s attorneys, said in a statement to The Washington Post. “Mr. Yeh was shocked to learn Tesla’s systems did not adequately protect his privacy and intends to hold Tesla accountable.”

He mistakenly entered a stranger’s Tesla. The app let him drive it, he says.

Tesla employees shared photos of family pets as memes, and distributed some footage to “scores” of colleagues, according to the complaint.

“That such videos and images were made available to Tesla employees to view and share, at will, and for improper purposes, affects each and every person with a Tesla vehicle, their families, passengers, and even guests in their homes,” the complaint reads.

In its Customer Privacy Notice, Tesla writes that “camera recordings remain anonymous and are not linked to you or your vehicle.”If users consent to data sharing, the privacy notice says, Tesla will use the information to communicate with customers, perform business services and improve its products.

The lawsuit alleges Tesla violated that policy and customers’ right to privacy afforded by California law by storing the recordings and then allowing employees to access and share them without customers’ consent. Some recordings may have been made when cars were turned off, the suit added.
Old 04-08-23, 11:25 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Well technically a "wheel" can't be square.. 👀👀🤔🤔🤐🤐😁😁

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a square steering WHEEL isn't a yoke. but hey...

guessing that hideous interior is a cybertruck.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion