EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 03:29 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
No more fog lights? If this is real Tesla is making a huge mistake.
They are just cutting cost, more effectively than Toyota can as they are banking on with their drive train, buyers can overlook everything else.

Last edited by 703; 04-13-23 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-13-23, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
For folks that are used to luxury cars - I can’t see how they would choose Model 3 over Eclass or 5series. The interior, build quality, materials are all garbage on Tesla. For me, the seats alone make it a no go. Park bench is more comfortable.

Now if you’re are only EV specific or tech oriented or want to save $$$ on gas then i can see getting Model 3 over a 5series but even then its just a biased approach bec the 5 or Eclass will provide more luxurious driving experience.
my reason was to no longer to have the need to spend time going to gas station, followed by utilizing my solar generated power.

and i fully disagree with the bolded part. bias? everyone is biased depending on which side of the line you stand. i agree it is a CHOICE, i consider my time far more valuable than luxury when it is just to go from point A to point B every day. luxury is good but it's not a must have top of the list item. doesn't mean i don't need any, otherwise i would have gone with prius since long ago. i see the model 3 as a good compromise for myself as daily driver.

it's just like saying i enjoyed driving the nsx to work every day for the fun part of it, but for sure it was nowhere close to be as luxurious as mb or bmw.

Old 04-14-23, 04:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

this guy's drone videos showing state of construction and change and testing at tesla's gigafactory are very interesting.

Old 04-14-23, 04:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and another... this includes showing cybertruck wind tunnel testing...
but to me, just seeing the sheer scale and scope of construction, well beyond the massive main building, is breathtaking.
i can imagine ford and gm execs looking at this and going 'holy ****** we're in trouble'

Old 04-14-23, 05:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but to me, just seeing the sheer scale and scope of construction, well beyond the massive main building, is breathtaking.
i can imagine ford and gm execs looking at this and going 'holy ****** we're in trouble'

https://youtu.be/4lOtH-ao7b8
Also at around the 13 min point it shows the absolutely massive single windshield wiper on the Cybertruck in action.
Old 04-14-23, 05:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i'm not sure how great a job it will do cleaning/clearing the absolutely massive windshield. lol

i definitely wouldn't want to be an early owner of one of these unusual vehicles! but i'm glad tesla's definitely thinking outside the box.

Old 04-14-23, 05:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

https://youtu.be/4lOtH-ao7b8
It's not just Ford and GM saying this under their breath, BTW...
Old 04-14-23, 05:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

yeah i'm not sure how great a job it will do cleaning/clearing the absolutely massive windshield. lol

i definitely wouldn't want to be an early owner of one of these unusual vehicles! but i'm glad tesla's definitely thinking outside the box.
From what is visible in the video, only the top right part of the windshield above the passenger doesn't get wiped. Considering how enormous the windshield is, I don't think visibility will be impacted in the slightest.
Old 04-14-23, 05:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
From what is visible in the video, only the top right part of the windshield above the passenger doesn't get wiped. Considering how enormous the windshield is, I don't think visibility will be impacted in the slightest.
perhaps you saw this originally where i did on the verge article here https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/14/2...er-tesla-video
they call it 'comically large'

and they quote musk as saying "The wiper is what troubles me most,"

hopefully it works great, but besides overall 'coverage' you mention, i wonder how well it clears/cleans the windshield. the blade's pressure and movement over the glass needs to be even and smooth, and one that large can't be easy to accomplish.

by the way do you know if the windshield is a flat sheet of glass or (like every other vehicle on the planet) is it curved?
Old 04-14-23, 05:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

perhaps you saw this originally where i did on the verge article here https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/14/2...er-tesla-video
they call it 'comically large'

and they quote musk as saying "The wiper is what troubles me most,"

hopefully it works great, but besides overall 'coverage' you mention, i wonder how well it clears/cleans the windshield. the blade's pressure and movement over the glass needs to be even and smooth, and one that large can't be easy to accomplish.

by the way do you know if the windshield is a flat sheet of glass or (like every other vehicle on the planet) is it curved?
It is not that outrageous, you have had various MBs in 90s (W124, C class, etc) that had it and people swear to this day they were better, but they were more complex and more expensive for MB to build.
Old 04-14-23, 06:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is not that outrageous, you have had various MBs in 90s (W124, C class, etc) that had it and people swear to this day they were better, but they were more complex and more expensive for MB to build.
yes i recall the mb wipers with the articulating center piece allowing the blade to extend its reach when heading to the corners, which was absolutely amazing.
definitely not cheap to make i'm sure, but an engineering marvel.
Old 04-14-23, 07:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Summary: Their expensive

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi...ealed-pepsico/
Old 04-14-23, 08:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

More price cuts announced today, even on their volume models. This time outside the US and it just seems to be following the price cuts in the U.S. being rolled out to Europe and other countries. I wish that 40inch 4k LG monitor I've been eyeing drops prices this frequently.
Old 04-14-23, 08:09 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It's pretty outrageous. And for how cool the Mercedes mono wiper was, they clearly found a better solution and moved on. They still aim for maximum windshield coverage which is why most Mercedes vehicles, even the CLA, have an articulated passenger wiper arm.
Old 04-14-23, 08:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Summary: Their expensive
Not really. A brand-new Peterbilt 579 runs about $290k.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion