EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-23, 10:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
depends on definition of long term. in the long term we'll all be dead too, and if we have a major recession/depression, it could be a decade or more before it recovers.
disclaimer: i do have some tsla, but not sure if i want to buy more due to macroeconomic reasons.
3 to 5 years. If I'm dead by then, it all goes my wife and kids, and doesn't really matter anymore
Old 04-20-23, 10:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Yep, the cost of almost all my TSLA was around $15. Held through the ups and downs, added here and there, but never sold and plan to continue to hold.
I have some I've been holding since 2020, I think I paid around $90. Keep in mind this is pre-split. Lot's of smart people said I should exit. Boy, were they wrong
Old 04-20-23, 10:22 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I have some I've been holding since 2020, I think I paid around $90. Keep in mind this is pre-split. Lot's of smart people said I should exit. Boy, were they wrong
Well there were two splits since 2020, so depending upon when you bought your adjusted cost may be lower than that.
Old 04-20-23, 10:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well there were two splits since 2020, so depending upon when you bought your adjusted cost may be lower than that.
I believe I bought before the Aug 31st split
Old 04-20-23, 10:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Funny how those reduced margins that have the Wall St idiots up in arms are still massively higher than pretty much every other manufacturer.
Wall Street analysts are complete idiots, here's proof. When TSLA is going up they all jump in and say buy buy buy, now there are articles coming out of the swamp saying sell, Telsa is backed into a corner blah blah blah cue the smear merchant negativity machine.

The sad part is people listen, when the stock was flirting with $100 a bunch of people liquidated out of TSLA when instead they should have been buying. Similar stocks that are taking a hit
GM
F
RIVN
XPEV
LCID
NIO

Rivian is a strong buy according to Wall Street Tesla is never a strong buy according to Wall Street unless the stock is surging.
Old 04-20-23, 11:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Funny how those reduced margins that have the Wall St idiots up in arms are still massively higher than pretty much every other manufacturer.
but wall st doesn't compare to others because that's irrelevant. tsla has a huge p/e (45, vs gm at 5) etc because of EXPECTATIONS of earnings growth. so if price cuts are bringing down earnings, wall st isn't happy, especially since it 'thinks' quarter by quarter, or day by day, or minute by minute.
meanwhile, tsla of course is playing a longer game...
Old 04-20-23, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Wall Street analysts are complete idiots, here's proof. When TSLA is going up they all jump in and say buy buy buy, now there are articles coming out of the swamp saying sell, Telsa is backed into a corner blah blah blah cue the smear merchant negativity machine.

The sad part is people listen, when the stock was flirting with $100 a bunch of people liquidated out of TSLA when instead they should have been buying. Similar stocks that are taking a hit
GM
F
RIVN
XPEV
LCID
NIO

Rivian is a strong buy according to Wall Street Tesla is never a strong buy according to Wall Street unless the stock is surging.
they're not complete idiots, they just mostly go with the 'herd' mentality and trade on 'momentum' and charts.

but i agree with you that their short term assessments overlook long term trends, longer term strategic plans, etc.
Old 04-20-23, 11:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yup, they all have an agenda to push. They are trying to get as much of peoples money as they can get. lol. Its working on the Tesla stock for now. Let it keep dropping so I can jump back in, lol. It did hit and hold at my 164 level/area i wanted to see it get to from last night. Will see what it wants to do once all the TSLA earning news has had some time to sink in.
Old 04-20-23, 11:25 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

GM
F
RIVN
XPEV
LCID
NIO

Lol, never take stock advice from Financial Media has been my experience. They likely have their own motives.
Old 04-20-23, 11:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Although I like Tesla, I'm not too bullish on their stock outlook...

There's technical approach and there's fundamental approach. Every individual company I invest in is because I believe in the long term fundamentals of the company... and in some cases (Tesla for example) I pay attention to what younger kids are into. I bought a Tesla just before Christmas and had 5 different 10-12 year old kids ride in my car the first few weeks and say "I've never been in a Tesla." I never told them what kind of car it was, they just knew. I'd ask them what kind of cars their parents had and 3 of them couldn't even name the brand... they'd say "we have a big SUV". Same thing with AAPL - hand a 3 year old an iPhone and they can use it like a wizard. I like companies like that.

I don't trade - I buy with the intention of holding for years, possibly decades. My brain doesn't work well looking at stock charts and using Fibonacci sequences, etc. to predict what's about to happen. I'm fascinated by folks who can do that, but it's just not my strength.
Old 04-20-23, 11:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they're not complete idiots, they just mostly go with the 'herd' mentality and trade on 'momentum' and charts.
Where are the smart ones? I watch MSNBC and the like quite often almost all the experts they have on give horrible advice. Life destroying advice if you put your money where they say, or sell off stocks like TSLA when they say you must because the stock is "going to zero" and other amazing investment advice.
but i agree with you that their short term assessments overlook long term trends, longer term strategic plans, etc.
Which makes these experts useless, anyone can guess which stocks will go up and down short term. Many have tried and failed, very few short term traders are successful. Go look at the top people on Tip Ranks the best of the best return 25% per year which is amazing but they are in the top 0.1%. Vast majority are negative.

Short term trading is a fools errand.
Old 04-20-23, 11:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Hope you folks make a lot of money and pay taxes. Its sad to see my tax money literally go up in smoke.
Old 04-20-23, 11:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
There's technical approach and there's fundamental approach. Every individual company I invest in is because I believe in the long term fundamentals of the company... and in some cases (Tesla for example) I pay attention to what younger kids are into. I bought a Tesla just before Christmas and had 5 different 10-12 year old kids ride in my car the first few weeks and say "I've never been in a Tesla." I never told them what kind of car it was, they just knew. I'd ask them what kind of cars their parents had and 3 of them couldn't even name the brand... they'd say "we have a big SUV". Same thing with AAPL - hand a 3 year old an iPhone and they can use it like a wizard. I like companies like that.

I don't trade - I buy with the intention of holding for years, possibly decades. My brain doesn't work well looking at stock charts and using Fibonacci sequences, etc. to predict what's about to happen. I'm fascinated by folks who can do that, but it's just not my strength.
I'm just like you, I don't try to predict when a stock is going up or down, I buy stocks from good companies with strong fundamentals. If I see a stock that has been stagnant or has barely moved in 5 years, I skip it. Than I just hold it, looking at it every few years. Otherwise I'll just go insane.

On the other front you mentioned, when my sisters son was about 2 years old, he got hold of her iPhone, and I watched him navigate it like an expert. She told me she never lets him touch her phone, so that was pretty amazing. And scary
Old 04-20-23, 11:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Hope you folks make a lot of money and pay taxes. Its sad to see my tax money literally go up in smoke.
Oh, I pay a lot of taxes. Not sure what you mean by "going up in smoke", if you are referring to the EV tax credit, I don't qualify, so it does me absolutely no good. I'm also betting that every Tesla owner here never benefited from any Federal tax credits (possibly only state, which wouldn't affect you at all)
Old 04-20-23, 11:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

And now back to Tesla news

Tesla Model Y Was Europe’s Best-Selling Car In Q1 2023

Fully electric cars accounted for 13.4% of the total new car registrations in Europe in Q1 2023, with 430,700 units

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/te...ar-in-q1-2023/

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion