EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 05:49 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
silly thing but when i tested 2023 Model S, i missed all the drive info in the main screen since I got used to it in Model 3. It just looked empty and after 2 years I got used to look to the info on main screen.
Funny, I guess it is just about what you are used to. I have a Model S and love having the guage cluster in front of me and not having to look over at the main screen. I had a Model Y as a loaner for a day and didn't like not having the guage cluster and looking over at the screen for everything. I'm sure if I owned a Model Y I would probably think differently because I would be used to it.
Old 05-10-23, 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tiktok is clearly stupid, useless and annoying. The Tesla center screen on the other hand is actually very useful, well developed software and hardware wise, and does the job really well. I thought it was stupid until I actually used it
your *opinions* noted, tiktok is also ENORMOUSLY popular and loved. about the m3/my center screen, i never said it was 'stupid', but i didn't like it before or after i used it. could i get used to it? sure.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Right now the Model Y is still the best game in town for the price so its "quirks" are quickly forgiven.
agreed.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Strange at first, for sure. You get used to it. One of my gripes was lack of HUD; our RX spoiles you. But after awhile, you notice the top of the tablet is just off your right hand, kinda in line of sight with the lower windshield. All pertinent inf. is right there.
Sounds a little hard to believe, but this was my learning experience. Different? Yes, but actually pretty good. And the simplicity of the clean dash renders our 2 Lexi downright confusing.
The touch screen? I almost never touch it. No need.
understood... of course anyone can get used to it. doesn't mean they love it. it's just not a showstopper in the market, obviously.

Originally Posted by Hameed
The people talking about how bad it is don't own one. Once you own a TM3 or TMY you realize it's not anywhere near as bad as you think it is.
not sure anyone said it's really 'bad', i just don't like it and yes i've tried it. fwiw, i don't like the ski slope center screen on the rented mercedes i'm driving right now either with no HUD or info i can't get to easily with the steering wheel festooned with controls.

Originally Posted by patgilm
Funny, I guess it is just about what you are used to. I have a Model S and love having the guage cluster in front of me and not having to look over at the main screen. I had a Model Y as a loaner for a day and didn't like not having the guage cluster and looking over at the screen for everything. I'm sure if I owned a Model Y I would probably think differently because I would be used to it.
yup, most people can get used to anything. as said, obviously not a showstopper for the tons of people buying tesla 3/y. might not even stop me at some point. just expressing that i don't care for it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-10-23 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-10-23, 06:13 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, most people can get used to anything. as said, obviously not a showstopper for the tons of people buying tesla 3/y. might not even stop me at some point. just expressing that i don't care for it.
I agree with you there. It's not a dealbreaker but also not a great solution either. I wonder how many prefer just the big touchscreen vs. how many just tolerate it. I've voiced my opinion on just having the touchscreen in my Model S and I tolerate it but just don't feel it is the best solution.

Even though people say use the voice commands, I hate that too because besides the fact that you have to tell others to be quiet for a second, you also lose music/audio while you voice your command which is why I don't use it often. For some people that isn't a big deal but when I am listening to music I don't want it to stop while I am giving a command so it's not a good solution for me. The reason I don't love touchscreens is because while I am driving I have to concentrate where I am touching the screen with small icons/buttons (vs. focusing on the road) and when there are small bumps it can cause you to miss the icon/button. That doesn't happen with a wheel. Is it tolerable yes, is it ideal, no.
Old 05-10-23, 07:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,673 Posts

your *opinions* noted, tiktok is also ENORMOUSLY popular and loved. about the m3/my center screen, i never said it was 'stupid', but i didn't like it before or after i used it. could i get used to it? sure.

agreed.

understood... of course anyone can get used to it. doesn't mean they love it. it's just not a showstopper in the market, obviously.

not sure anyone said it's really 'bad', i just don't like it and yes i've tried it. fwiw, i don't like the skis lop center screen on the rented mercedes i'm driving right now either with no HUD or info i can't get to easily with the steering wheel festooned with controls.

Ticktock is stupid, opinion or not, I stand by that statement, no matter how popular it is

/Rant over
Old 05-10-23, 10:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Norway has an 80 percent EV sales rate, with Tesla dominating. Wow. Imaging trying to find your Tesla in a supermarket parking lot in Norway...

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-domi...early-defunct/
Old 05-10-23, 11:23 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,937 Likes on 2,473 Posts

what's also amazing to me is clearly tons of people don't mind the center only screen. that to me is a head scratcher, but there it is. people love tiktok too. crazy world.
Gas cars are way more popular than EVs. Toyota and Lexus sell 5x more cars than Tesla. What is the point you are trying to make again?
Old 05-10-23, 03:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Extreme Heat Testing | Tesla Model S, 3, X and Y

Old 05-10-23, 03:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I badly want these on my house.

Old 05-10-23, 04:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I saw those when my car was in for service and I thought they looked awesome compared to what I usually see on houses here. Do you know how they compare in terms of cost vs traditional panels? If it were close it’s a no brainer.
Old 05-10-23, 04:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I saw those when my car was in for service and I thought they looked awesome compared to what I usually see on houses here.
It's the perfect roof. Hail proof and generates power will last 50 years.
Do you know how they compare in terms of cost vs traditional panels? If it were close it’s a no brainer.
Tesla gives some idea but it will vary greatly depending on home, number of tiles, how much battery storage you have.
https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/blog/solar-roof

Old 05-11-23, 12:59 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

As you know, I have both the MSP and MYP....I've gotten accustomed to the gauge cluster now, that when I go to my wife's MYP, it feels awkward. But it only takes a few minutes to get used to again....

Old 05-11-23, 05:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

I used their estimator a couple of years ago, and it would cost something like $280,000 to do my house with the Tesla roof and a pair of powerwalls for backup, for a 2600 sqft ranch with a pretty low-slope roofline. I'd still be significantly underwater when they eventually wore out.
Old 05-11-23, 05:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

It's the perfect roof. Hail proof and generates power will last 50 years.
so what's stopping you?
Old 05-11-23, 10:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
I used their estimator a couple of years ago, and it would cost something like $280,000 to do my house with the Tesla roof and a pair of powerwalls for backup, for a 2600 sqft ranch with a pretty low-slope roofline. I'd still be significantly underwater when they eventually wore out.
Seriously?? I got an estimate for $79,800

Granted my home is 1500 sq ft, but here it's not based on square footage, it's based on electricity bill, which I listed as $500 a month (my electricity bill is nowhere near that)

This is the final estimate with Power Walls, also there is a 30 percent Federal Tax credit as well as California state credit

Old 05-11-23, 11:01 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

No availability for me and even if I got the tiles themselves I would have to install them myself.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion