EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-23, 08:01 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Imagine considering a 40% YOY increase as a failure... Sheesh. Tha market expects a lot from Tesla. They usually get it, too.
To be fair, Tesla did miss their own estimate of 500K cars in Q4. Analysts were as low as 400K to about 430K. Numbers were in flux as usual.
Tesla is trying to flatten the delivery curve to control cost to manufacture and delivery bottle necks.

Let's see how the market reacts. Valuation is only down what, $700B this year? Still bigger than the next 4 or 5 automakers combined, so there's that.
Old 01-02-23, 09:39 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It says a lot about how well Tesla is doing when Elon can go off and be a moron on Twitter yet still have Tesla sell as many vehicles as it does. He's established a firm foundation for the brand that any other EV startup wishes it had, and at this point since he's been spending most of his time goofing off so much with his new toy, I wonder if he's even needed to run the company besides being a mascot like Colonel Sanders (assuming his public image survives his self-inflicted damage).

Last edited by Motorola; 01-02-23 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-02-23, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
It says a lot about how well Tesla is doing when Elon can go off and be a moron on Twitter yet still have Tesla sell as many vehicles as it does. He's established a firm foundation for the brand that any other EV startup wishes it had, and at this point since he's been spending most of his time goofing off so much with his new toy, I wonder if he's even needed to run the company besides being a mascot like Colonel Sanders (assuming his public image survives his self-inflicted damage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jca4TchXelE
The more moronic Elon becomes, the better off Tesla will be. We are a society of morons, so when a leader is one.... it's a good thing. Everything is going normal here.

Old 01-02-23, 10:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The amnesia from some that have posted in this thread is remarkable I'd say 90%+ predictions turned out the exact opposite. It's perfectly fine to be wrong it is another thing entirely to post wishful thinking as fact.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Let's see how the market reacts. Valuation is only down what, $700B this year? Still bigger than the next 4 or 5 automakers combined, so there's that.
No one talks about Rivian or Lucid stock, the Tesla killers. Wonder why that is.

TSLA could drop another 50% would not surprise me investors have become incredibly irrational. The inevitable short squeeze is going to be glorious.
Old 01-03-23, 05:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

I still just wish they made quality products, they have made me money but I just have no desire to own low quality cars with boring/cheap interiors.
Old 01-03-23, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.mining.com/web/tesla-fac...t-amends-deal/

Tesla Inc. is set to pay more for the lithium that powers its electric vehicles after a supplier amended their deal amid a relentless price rally of the metal.​​​​​​​
Old 01-03-23, 11:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The increase is 1%.
Old 01-03-23, 11:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I still just wish they made quality products,
Teslas are quality products. IMO

Originally Posted by Striker223
they have made me money .
​​​​​​​The stock will continue to drop
Old 01-03-23, 12:50 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

They announce what they are calling their "gen 3" chassis in March, supposedly low manufacturing costs. From what I read, its a 3 piece assembly to make a chassis.
Old 01-03-23, 01:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

source?

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The increase is 1%.
article today makes it sound like it’s a variable cost with their new supplier
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-amends-deal

this was an eye opening chart from that article

Old 01-03-23, 02:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
source?

article today makes it sound like it’s a variable cost with their new supplier
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-amends-deal

this was an eye opening chart from that article

Oh boy,
If this graph is correct we are looking at a 10X price increase per ton from 2020.

That's downright scary for the EV industry, IMO

How much Lithium product does it take to make the battery, anyone know?
If it's a lot it could maybe be a problem.
Old 01-03-23, 02:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
source?
The article Jill posted says the price is variable and guesses the price will go up. So I guessed 1% this is just as accurate as what the article provides. Further, lithium is only one component in the battery the total cost is far more nuanced than just so say, lithium is going up therefore the battery pack is going to cost way more to make which is the implication.

This also does not take into account economy of scale, volume purchasing and a whole host of other factors. The up coming earnings call will give up more detail although it it still difficult if not impossible to know exactly how much each cell/cell type costs Tesla to make. And of course material costs will affect every auto maker, the one buying in the highest volume likely gets the best price.
Originally Posted by Margate330
How much Lithium product does it take to make the battery, anyone know?
Depends on the cell type, about 12kg per pack from what I've read.
Old 01-03-23, 03:09 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The article Jill posted says the price is variable and guesses the price will go up. So I guessed 1% this is just as accurate as what the article provides. Further, lithium is only one component in the battery the total cost is far more nuanced than just so say, lithium is going up therefore the battery pack is going to cost way more to make which is the implication.

This also does not take into account economy of scale, volume purchasing and a whole host of other factors. The up coming earnings call will give up more detail although it it still difficult if not impossible to know exactly how much each cell/cell type costs Tesla to make. And of course material costs will affect every auto maker, the one buying in the highest volume likely gets the best price.

Depends on the cell type, about 12kg per pack from what I've read.
^^ That was an awesome explanation Lex2k.

Ok, so we have 12kg per battery and this is approx 26.5lbs.
Now when I have time I'll have to convert price per ton in China Juans to dollars to see what that means, unless someone has the digits.

PS- Buying by the ton could be considered "buying in bulk", just saying. haha
I know what you meant, just messin, they probably buying in many tons or boat load at a time.
Old 01-03-23, 03:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Teslas are quality products. IMO

The stock will continue to drop
No they really aren't. Sorry not sorry.
Old 01-03-23, 05:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

To close the loop, the 5 seat model Y doesn't get the credit because it doesn't qualify as a utility vehicle as was correctly noted a few pages back.

It doesn't qualify because to do so it has to pass some specific tests, in two parts.

The first is it must have AWD/4WD and/or a GVWR over 6000 lbs. It does meet this part.

The second is it must satisfy at least four of the following characteristics calculated when the automobile is at curb weight, on a level surface, with the front wheels parallel to the automobile's longitudinal centerline, and the tires inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure:

(i) Approach angle of not less than 28 degrees.
(ii) Breakover angle of not less than 14 degrees.
(iii) Departure angle of not less than 20 degrees.
(iv) Running clearance of not less than 20 centimeters.
(v) Front and rear axle clearances of not less than 18 centimeters.

It fails on most of these (I researched only ground clearance, approach angle and departure angle, they all failed so there's no need to look at the others)

The 7 seater qualifiers as it has three rows (it would also likely qualify as a van or light truck). The relevant test is this: "For non-passenger automobiles manufactured in model year 2008 and beyond, for vehicles equipped with at least 3 rows of designated seating positions as standard equipment."

Note - "non passenger automobiles" is the verbiage referring to vehicles which seek to qualify as a van, utility or truck - i.e. "not a car"

So, in short, if the Model Y doesn't qualify as a utility vehicle, van or truck it can only qualify under the 55K automobile threshold. It's essentially a 65K wagon so doesn't qualify.

I have not researched the vehicles on the table posted above. Two qualify any way as they were under 55K MSRP. The others, most likely, simply meet the four out of five test.

The solution is simple, if Tesla wishes to pursue it. Raise the Model Y 5 seater so it meets the ground clearance and approach/departure angle requirement plus one more.

Of note, the IRS cautions to disregard window stickers and marketing materials as the classification rules don't care about those. We've seen that in this thread. People assumed the Model Y 5 seat is an SUV because that's what everyone calls it. It turns out for these purposes it's a 65K car, not a 65K SUV. The 7 seater is an SUV, so if the MSRP is under 80K it qualifies (assuming you meet the other tests such as income etc). It does not matter that the 7 seat Model Y would also fail the capability characteristics, it gets by based on three rows of seating test.

Last edited by swajames; 01-03-23 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion