EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 01:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,755 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Hardware and software are part of same solution, i am not sure what are you trying to point out. Software is written to drive the hardware and software limits will be also imposed by hardware. So far Tesla has degraded hardware so obviously all the improvements are driven by software - this is probably first time they are improving and not degrading their sensor suite.

I thought you actually had a Tesla?

I drive using autopilot and autosteer a lot. There was a massive step back when Tesla disabled radars on all of their vehicles 6+ months ago. They are still not back in many ways where they were, and first few months have really been bad and even dangerous. I feel last release have been the best one, but definitely not smooth yet.
I totally agree they should not have disabled radar. Several people have told me that since radar was disabled, there has been dangerous moments in rain and bad conditions that made autopilot misbehave. I don't own a Tesla yet (by June hopefully) so I can't speak on this except what I hear from Tesla owners. Although one of my brother in laws who has a Model 3 told me the last update made vast improvements...there is now a buffer line that shows up between the car and other objects showing the distance. It changes to red as you get closer to an object like a curb etc

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-14-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 02:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Hardware and software are part of same solution, i am not sure what are you trying to point out. Software is written to drive the hardware and software limits will be also imposed by hardware. So far Tesla has degraded hardware so obviously all the improvements are driven by software - this is probably first time they are improving and not degrading their sensor suite.

I drive using autopilot and autosteer a lot. There was a massive step back when Tesla disabled radars on all of their vehicles 6+ months ago. They are still not back in many ways where they were, and first few months have really been bad and even dangerous. I feel last release have been the best one, but definitely not smooth yet.
What version of FSD beta are you on? Did you save video of the bad events?
Old 05-15-23, 10:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

According to reports, Tesla is destroying and updating a production line at Fremont, perhaps to roll out the mass production of one of its revised vehicle designs, filings show

Tesla applied to demolish “multiple equipment, tools, and utilities” lines at the Fremont Factory on Thursday, and the timing aligns with the
recent images of the Project Highland Model 3 that continue to leak

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-demo...hland-model-3/
Old 05-15-23, 03:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,647 Posts

100% agree.

funny, he doesn't. he just doesn't accept tesla does anything wrong and every step is a breakthrough innovation in his view. tesla is obviously innovative but it's delusional to think they don't make missteps.

I drive using autopilot and autosteer a lot. There was a massive step back when Tesla disabled radars on all of their vehicles 6+ months ago.

They are still not back in many ways where they were, and first few months have really been bad and even dangerous. I feel last release have been the best one, but definitely not smooth yet.
and yet he wrote many posts on how innovative this step was, because tesla did it. agree 100% this was a 'massive step back' all to save cost, but it was playing with people's safety.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What version of FSD beta are you on? Did you save video of the bad events?
here we go... spwolf, if you can't PROVE to LeX2K's satisfaction that the holy tesla made errors or didn't perform perfectly, then you're obviously a liar.

same pattern, different day.
Old 05-15-23, 06:26 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Fyi - bev adoption acceleration in Cali .. Model Y top selling vehicle with model 3 top selling passenger vehicle! 👀👀

https://electrek.co/2023/05/15/tesla...es-have-plugs/

Old 05-15-23, 06:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I totally agree they should not have disabled radar. Several people have told me that since radar was disabled, there has been dangerous moments in rain and bad conditions that made autopilot misbehave. I don't own a Tesla yet (by June hopefully) so I can't speak on this except what I hear from Tesla owners. Although one of my brother in laws who has a Model 3 told me the last update made vast improvements...there is now a buffer line that shows up between the car and other objects showing the distance. It changes to red as you get closer to an object like a curb etc
I am not saying they should or not, just that autopilot and autosteer performance dropped drastically after that. For everyone.

Yeah, every update is better, what sux was that it was fine before in many ways. I believe you are talking about parking sensors which are still enabled for cars that have them, and vision started adding that info to cars that dont.

Dont get me wrong, overall it is much improved in past 2 years since i have it, but removing radar was huge step back. It is definitely being driven by quality of hardware, and i have hard time believing that Vision can not do smooth stop and go right now, but will be able to do level 4 autonomous driving after few updates.

I am excited to see hw4 in action, and do believe the Tesla system is overall the best.
Old 05-15-23, 09:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

So many great posts already.

Can I please add, when it comes to interfacing with the hardware, it is important to distinguish which software, sometimes for context.
I live in the embedded software world since my programs are written directly to the micro-controller chip aka at the hardware level.

This level is responsible for receiving or sending the raw sensor(or other) input and output.
At this level, the design will decide how much work the embedded part does when working with the raw data(or not) and will always have a protocol of some kind to shift the data to and from the interfacing application software above it.

The application software is another concern because you can have the best sensors and embedded software in the micro-controllers at the hardware level and have horrible application software.

What I mean by that is: Sensors -> embedded software inside micro-controller -> application software interface -> layer or layers of abstracted bloated software at the user interface level. lol

And yes, the posts above are correct IMO, any weak link at any level will be a bottleneck failure and we are always in a fight for speed, efficiency, and very importantly- COST!

PS- currently I'm working on communicating(already finished the program today) with a feedback sensor on a device under test off a machine and polling input & output pins at 60-70 nano seconds for change of state and then I have to do something with that data to make it meaningful before shifting it up via a protocol to an application to interpret it. At the hardware level I'm counting every clock tick and making every instruction cycle count and it's always seems more speeds would be nice and sometimes it's just not fast enough to do what I want(hardware limitation) I can't even imagine the engineering nightmare of what Tesla is trying to do with auto driving because that is mind boggling more complicated and way out of my league and guessing they must have a team of guys working on cuz it seems more than one man can do. Anyway, sorry for blabbing...

Last edited by Margate330; 05-16-23 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-16-23, 03:20 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I do think that the car would benefit by using both a combination of radar and vision but I’m not a software programmer so what do I know, it just seems that way based on theory.

I do like having parking sensors on my car since I have heard new owners saying vision doesn’t help right now with parking. I still think autopilot could be improved a bit. It’s a little jerky with the braking, more so than with other cars I’ve had. I do wish it wouldn’t shut off autosteer every time I make a small correction and I feel like it gets a little too close for comfort to the center line for my liking sometimes so I do have to correct it. I feel like I want to trust autopilot in these situations but that’s how accidents happen when you trust it too much.
Old 05-16-23, 05:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
Fyi - bev adoption acceleration in Cali .. Model Y top selling vehicle with model 3 top selling passenger vehicle! 👀👀

sounds good until you realize that still means 65% of sales are still non hybrid, non bev.
looooong way to go.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-16-23 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-16-23, 05:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sounds good until you realize that still means 80% of sales are still non hybrid, non bev.
looooong way to go.
65%, not 80%. Just estimating the '23 YTD figures based on the graph:

4% PHEV
11% Hybrid
20% BEV

Add those three and you get 35%. Considering that same total was ~23% less than 18 months ago, it's moving pretty darn quickly.
Old 05-16-23, 05:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430

Originally Posted by geko29
65%, not 80%. Just estimating the '23 YTD figures based on the graph:

4% PHEV
11% Hybrid
20% BEV

Add those three and you get 35%. Considering that same total was ~23% less than 18 months ago, it's moving pretty darn quickly.
good catch - edited my post.
Old 05-16-23, 06:26 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts

I am not saying they should or not, just that autopilot and autosteer performance dropped drastically after that. For everyone.

Yeah, every update is better, what sux was that it was fine before in many ways. I believe you are talking about parking sensors which are still enabled for cars that have them, and vision started adding that info to cars that dont.

Dont get me wrong, overall it is much improved in past 2 years since i have it, but removing radar was huge step back. It is definitely being driven by quality of hardware, and i have hard time believing that Vision can not do smooth stop and go right now, but will be able to do level 4 autonomous driving after few updates.

I am excited to see hw4 in action, and do believe the Tesla system is overall the best.
100% agree. The experience now is fine, but it was better when it had the radar. Also had the advantage of seeing more than 1 car ahead of you on the visualization.
Old 05-16-23, 10:42 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla wins big direct sales Supreme court case

"Tesla won a critical case in Delaware’s Supreme Court to allow the direct sale of electric vehicles in the state"

"To this day, there are still some states that prevent Tesla and other automakers from selling directly to consumers"

Here’s the court’s decision:

"We reverse the DMV Director’s decision and the Superior Court judgment and remand for further proceedings consistent with this opinion. The General Assembly enacted the Franchise Act to address the disparity in bargaining power which permitted new motor vehicle manufacturers to exert economic pressure over their franchises. Its definitions exclude Tesla and its direct sales model, where new electric cars are not sold through franchised dealers in Delaware"

https://electrek.co/2023/05/16/tesla...me-court-case/

Old 05-16-23, 10:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yep, Elon is definitely White

ELON MUSK LET'S DANCE!!!Groovin' Away in Cabo

https://www.tmz.com/watch/2023-05-15...k-1614966-820/
Old 05-16-23, 04:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default TESLA Tesla teases its next car with new image, says it’s already being built

Tesla teases its next car with new image, says it’s already being built

https://electrek.co/2023/05/16/tesla...car-new-image/

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion