EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23 | 11:46 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
No I'm long term. I look at my holdings every 5 years. I've never been good at short term and don't have the patience
So if it goes to $250 and you finance a Tesla, you're really counting your chickens before they hatch. "Paper gains", as they say.
Old 06-03-23 | 11:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Was talking to @Margate330
Oh, sorry!
Old 06-03-23 | 11:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So if it goes to $250 and you finance a Tesla, you're really counting your chickens before they hatch. "Paper gains", as they say.
Well if it doesn't hit $250, it's not like I can't pay for it. But I'm pretty sure it will. I already bought the Y BTW, I have a thread on it
Old 06-03-23 | 11:50 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Well if it doesn't hit $250, it's not like I can't pay for it. But I'm pretty sure it will. I already bought the Y BTW, I have a thread on it
$250 is a good price target. Good chance it'll get there on all the tech stock hype. Generally speaking, however, I bet against Cathie Woods when I can.

If you can sell at that price after buying more shares at around $100, that would be a great trade. Then go short, or else wait for the crash back from fantasy land of 60+ P/E.

*not investing advice*
Old 06-03-23 | 11:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

What arguments. I didn't make those arguments.

For the record, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Elon.
In general over the course of this thread, and from other sources like in the finance media. Go back and read this thread from the beginning for some context.
$250 is a good price target. Good chance it'll get there on all the tech stock hype. Generally speaking, however, I bet against Cathie Woods when I can.

If you can sell at that price after buying more shares at around $100, that would be a great trade. Then go short, or else wait for the crash back from fantasy land of 60+ P/E.

*not investing advice*
This is hindsight investing, almost no one can predict the market short term. Over 95% of day traders lose.
Old 06-03-23 | 12:14 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Celebrating 2,000 posts of Tesla Business Thread!

Woo hoo!
Old 06-03-23 | 06:58 PM
pman6
Racer

Elon recently said the Model 3 costs as little as a Corolla to own, all in. 5 years 60k miles.

something around 50 cents per mile.

I did the math, and it comes out to around $30,000 "all in"

Oh, you mean AFTER you shell out $45k for a tesla, then the maintenance and depreciation are similar.

Misleading.

If you add the cost to acquire a corolla and tesla, then the corolla owner still saved a lot more money overall.

Old 06-03-23 | 10:39 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pman6
Elon recently said the Model 3 costs as little as a Corolla to own, all in. 5 years 60k miles.

Oh, you mean AFTER you shell out $45k for a tesla, then the maintenance and depreciation are similar.

Misleading.

If you add the cost to acquire a corolla and tesla, then the corolla owner still saved a lot more money overall.
Hi Pman6,

It does sound "optimistic" and a little sugar coated to make that comparison, may be close tho
I think the Toyota may be slightly cheaper after the 6 year mark but I pulled that from the sky cuz I really don't know

I would like to see a non-biased breakdown- cost of both cars out the door in current market conditions with no sugar coating, just for fun and research.
Add tax, average ADM's in this market(if applicable), dealer/oem fees for each, available lease or interest rates for each, gas savings, and trade in values, etc, etc and see what is the net difference.

<To the Moderators, If this is not appropriate for this thread please move this to a new thread(or delete) if you feel appropriate, Thank You>
Old 06-03-23 | 11:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Pman6,

It does sound "optimistic" and a little sugar coated to make that comparison, may be close tho
I think the Toyota may be slightly cheaper after the 6 year mark but I pulled that from the sky cuz I really don't know

I would like to see a non-biased breakdown- cost of both cars out the door in current market conditions with no sugar coating, just for fun and research.
Add tax, average ADM's in this market(if applicable), dealer/oem fees for each, available lease or interest rates for each, gas savings, and trade in values, etc, etc and see what is the net difference.

<To the Moderators, If this is not appropriate for this thread please move this to a new thread(or delete) if you feel appropriate, Thank You>
Let me give you a simple, non-biased break down (I've owned two Corollas in the past). In no way is the Model 3 comparable to the Toyota Corolla, except both have tires. The Model 3 is superior in every way, including power, tech, performance and driving dynamics. If the Model 3 costs more, well because it's a superior car (and yet still outsells Corolla). Where it costs less is fueling and maintenance. At 120 MPGe and almost no maintenance, it has a lower running cost. And I don't think anyone has said it's cheaper than a Corolla, as the base Model 3 starts at $40K $50K

One thing I can tell you from recent experience is that a new Corolla is no longer cheap. Before my daughter purchased her Bolt, we looked at both Corolla and Civic, and with dealership markups both were hitting over $30k. No way I would ever pay $30k for a Corolla...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-04-23 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-04-23 | 12:15 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Let me give you a simple, non-bias break down (I've owned two Corollas in the past). In no way is the Model 3 comparable to the Toyota Corolla, except both have tires. The Model 3 is superior in every way, including power, tech, performance and driving dynamics. If the Model 3 costs more, well because it's a superior car (and yet still outsells Corolla). Where it costs less is fueling and maintenance. At 120 MPGe and almost no maintenance, it has a lower running cost. And I don't think anyone has said it's cheaper than a Corolla, as the base Model 3 starts at $40K.

One thing I can tell you from recent experience is that a new Corolla is no longer cheap. Before my daughter purchased her Bolt, we looked at both Corolla and Civic, and with dealership markups both were hitting over $30k. No way I would ever pay $30k for a Corolla...
Thank you for your ideas Amirza.
What you thinking a more accurate comparison would be.

I wouldn't even want to guess but from a combo of the power and grade of materials used what would be a better comparison for the cheapest and lowest cost available Tesla.
Yeah, I know some cars have nicer trim than others and some cars have better performance so that would be a hard one to guess at.
Old 06-04-23 | 12:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Thank you for your ideas Amirza.
What you thinking a more accurate comparison would be.

I wouldn't even want to guess but from a combo of the power and grade of materials used what would be a better comparison for the cheapest and lowest cost available Tesla.
Yeah, I know some cars have nicer trim than others and some cars have better performance so that would be a hard one to guess at.
That's really hard to say. Right off the top of my head if I was cross shopping between ICE and a Model 3 base rwd, it would probably be a Camry hybrid. Both are trying to achieve efficiency and utility as well as low maintenance
Old 06-04-23 | 09:26 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Misleading.

My math tells me you'd be stuck with a significantly inferior car if you went with your math.
Old 06-04-23 | 10:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames

My math tells me you'd be stuck with a significantly inferior car if you went with your math.
I pretty much almost failed math, so there's that
Old 06-04-23 | 03:03 PM
pman6
Racer

Originally Posted by swajames

inferiority is not a factor in my calculation. I'm solely considering dollars here, as that is the claim elon is making.

end of the day, both cars get you point A to B.
Old 06-04-23 | 03:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

inferiority is not a factor in my calculation. I'm solely considering dollars here, as that is the claim elon is making.

end of the day, both cars get you point A to B.
Lol Elon never made that claim. What he said was that the Model 3 base, which has almost 3x the power is as efficient and costs the same to drive as a Corolla. That's a world of difference from what you are saying. Since it's a $50k car, it's not possible they would cost the same, even after 10 years of ownership. I watched him live when he said this. You should go back and re verify what you think you read

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion