EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-23, 10:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Wow why do I feel like I've missed a lively thread?

A Model 3 is a neater car and much more desirable but inferior to a Corolla car versus car.

You're not gonna see 30 year old Teslas in 2050 or whatever beaten to death but still going strong like Corollas are known to do.
Old 06-04-23, 10:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

A Model 3 is a neater car and much more desirable but inferior to a Corolla car versus car.

You're not gonna see 30 year old Teslas in 2050 or whatever beaten to death but still going strong like Corollas are known to do.
Who keeps a car for 30 years? I'll be long dead by then I've owned two Corollas, and although a good, reliable starter car, it's about as exciting to drive as a can of tuna. Having driven multiple Model 3's and currently owning a Model Y, if the model 3 only lasts 5 years and the Corolla 30, I would still take the model 3. BTW, Tesla designed their battery pack to last 300,000 miles. A friend of mine is already at almost 150k and his battery pack is at 80 percent capacity.

Again, not say the Corolla is a bad car, one got me through my 20's
Old 06-04-23, 11:06 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I think you have to look at this through a different lens. There’s so much less to go wrong on an EV, and all the things that are more expensive today, like batteries and electric motors, are likely to cost less over time and have a long serviceable lifespan as they can be renewed and reconditioned.
Old 06-05-23, 01:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Back to Tesla business topics please, not Corolla vs Tesla
Old 06-05-23, 10:24 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tesla May Have Just Unlocked a New, Profitable Revenue Stream

Source
Competitors rarely work together in the business world. However, it recently happened when electric vehicle (EV) titan Tesla (TSLA 2.33%) and legacy automaker Ford shocked Wall Street by announcing a partnership that would let Ford customers plug into Tesla's supercharger network.

The announcement came from a recent Twitter-spaces event that Ford CEO Jim Farley participated in with Musk to discuss the electric vehicle industry. The partnership should make Ford's customers happy, but Tesla's shareholders could be the winners.

The development could eventually create a profitable revenue stream that could pad Tesla's coffers. Here is what you need to know.

If you can't beat 'em...

Electric vehicles aren't just a new technology for the vehicle; they also require charging stations, a massive effort to populate America with the infrastructure needed to support millions of EVs on the road. Charging a car isn't as simple as pulling up to a fuel pump because the vehicle's charging ports must be compatible with the attachments at the charging station.

Tesla created what it calls the North American Charging Standard (NACS), which it uses on all its vehicles and charging stations in the U.S. and Canada. Many of Tesla's competitors created a different design, the Combined Charging System (CCS), and deemed it the standard for the EV industry. But Tesla has sold more vehicles than competitors who are still ramping up production. So which design is the real standard?

Ford decided that it wanted to lean on Tesla's further-along charging network to improve life for its customers as it seeks to ramp up its EV sales. The partnership will include adapters to make Ford's current EVs compatible with Tesla's NACS ports instead of the CCS. This is a potentially pivotable moment for the EV industry since further adoption of NACS would play further into Tesla's hands as a market leader. More vehicles using the NACS design means more potential charging traffic for Tesla.

Welcomed high-margin revenue

Pulling non-Tesla drivers through its charging network is an excellent opportunity to bring profitable revenue to Tesla. The company has already invested the capital in building its charging network (and will continue these investments), so incremental payments from non-Tesla vehicles should mostly fall straight to its bottom line.

It's not yet known what Ford owners will pay to use Tesla's network, but there are some clues. Tesla charges by kilowatt-hour, and non-Tesla users pay a premium compared to Tesla owners. Tesla offers a monthly subscription for $12.99 to reduce the kilowatt-hour rate to that of Tesla owners, which might indicate the ballpark that Ford users will end up paying.

Right now, paid supercharging revenue is a tiny part of Tesla's business, lumped into services and others in its financials. That revenue bucket was just $1.8 billion of its total $23 billion in the first quarter. Investors shouldn't expect a short-term notable impact of deals like Ford's partnership, but that could change. EVs are still just 1.5% of the global fleet, and service revenue from sources like charging could grow into a meaningful category over the coming years.

What should investors do today?

You could think of Tesla and Ford's partnership as a single move in a long chess game. The EV industry is still in its early innings, and the battle over industry standards and market share is still being waged. In the short term, Tesla remains a stock that investors should track closely.

Old 06-06-23, 08:35 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Crazy, If I lived in Cali, I honestly wouldn't consider any other car at that price.

Tesla Model 3 Price Slashed In Half Thanks To Incentives: Just $19,830

https://insideevs.com/news/670649/te...es-california/
Old 06-06-23, 08:51 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFerg
Crazy, If I lived in Cali, I honestly wouldn't consider any other car at that price.

Tesla Model 3 Price Slashed In Half Thanks To Incentives: Just $19,830

https://insideevs.com/news/670649/te...es-california/
I think that article is a bit misleading as you would only get the largest state rebate if you were low income, but you simultaneously have to have the tax capacity for the full federal deduction to get the outcome in the article. Not to say it's impossible, but it requires a specific combination of circumstances.
Old 06-06-23, 09:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Ahh, got it. Well that makes sense.
Old 06-06-23, 09:20 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFerg
Ahh, got it. Well that makes sense.
it's still a great deal. Just maybe not always quite as good as the author claimed.

it's a bit like those misleading car dealer ads where they show big discounts in the form of rebates etc., but when you look the big discount comprises a number of smaller individual rebates, and half of those rebates are mutually exclusive and could not possibly be stacked because if you could qualify for one you could not possibly qualify for the another etc.
Old 06-06-23, 09:23 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

The income requirements to live in CA means most folks that live in urban areas where a Tesla would make the most sense, do not qualify for these kind of rebates. Its sort of a sad and weird paradox, but reality.
Old 06-06-23, 09:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
The income requirements to live in CA means most folks that live in urban areas where a Tesla would make the most sense, do not qualify for these kind of rebates. Its sort of a sad and weird paradox, but reality.
Yep. I don't qualify for the either the Federal tax rebate or the State rebate due to my income which is actually unfortunate because what I make on "paper" and what I take home are two entirely different figures
Old 06-06-23, 10:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Ford Switch To Tesla Charging Standard Annoys CCS Alliance

Starting in 2024, Ford's next-gen models in North America will be equipped with Tesla's NACS charging inlet

https://insideevs.com/news/670644/ch...ging-standard/
Old 06-06-23, 11:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I read this on Twitter last night. GM CEO says "that she doesn’t see profitable electric cars in the $30,000 to $40,000 range until the end of the decade or maybe even later." She also said "Tesla has the lead in technology, profitability and scale." Source: https://electrek.co/2023/06/05/gm-ce...le-30-40k-evs/

Someone posted the article and Musk responded saying "Tesla aspires to be as helpful as possible to other car companies. We made all our patents freely available several years ago. Now, we are enabling other companies to use our Supercharger network. Also happy to license Autopilot/FSD or other Tesla technology."

How interesting - Tesla could actually license FSD to other EV manufacturers and make an absolute killing on it. I never thought of that. But this reiterates to me my belief that Tesla is NOT a traditional car company. They are a software and data company that makes cars (hardware).
Old 06-06-23, 11:51 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

So does this mean Ford is going to pay Tesla a royalty for using their charging standard moving forward? If so, that would make for a nice windfall for Tesla's coffers.
Old 06-06-23, 12:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I read this on Twitter last night. GM CEO says "that she doesn’t see profitable electric cars in the $30,000 to $40,000 range until the end of the decade or maybe even later." She also said "Tesla has the lead in technology, profitability and scale." Source: https://electrek.co/2023/06/05/gm-ce...le-30-40k-evs/

Someone posted the article and Musk responded saying "Tesla aspires to be as helpful as possible to other car companies. We made all our patents freely available several years ago. Now, we are enabling other companies to use our Supercharger network. Also happy to license Autopilot/FSD or other Tesla technology."

How interesting - Tesla could actually license FSD to other EV manufacturers and make an absolute killing on it. I never thought of that. But this reiterates to me my belief that Tesla is NOT a traditional car company. They are a software and data company that makes cars (hardware).
Rob from Tesla Daily talked about this yesterday on his Youtube channel. You are probably going to see Auto Pilot and FDS being licensed out to other manufacturers. Ford is just the first to begin partnering with Tesla

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion