EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 10:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Wow, that's a huge undertaking, but awesome.

The problem in my world is user level abstraction bloat killing all performance gains at the embedded software inside the hardware & the hardware itself.

I would never dream of trying to write an operating system let alone embed that operating system in special made custom ASIC chips, they
will need a team of good people to do that- I'm talking way up there in talent which I'm sure they can afford if they want to.

I don't know how Tesla does it but if they are running their own bare bones linux system or their own custom fork I can see that working ok(or other bare bones OS).
Proven and supported kernels and interface forward toward the user level and work well backward interfacing with the embedded software at the hardware level.

The recipe for speed is not always a faster processor or more cores in the processor or wider bit data bus but that's the approach I've been seeing for many years
because it is so much more work to gut everything and start over- thus the layers and layers of processor clock instruction gobbling abstraction and bloat. haha
You're right on the money. They've all created huge software engineering departments and brought in partners as needed (Mercedes is partnering heavily with NVIDIA). Volkswagen is currently struggling with their OS development and its even caused delays of future models across the VW landscape, including Porsche. You might have seen some of the news on CARIAD, VW's software subsidiary - https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ys-2023-05-06/

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
There's more to it than that. Sourcing components from various vendors results in a software kludge at best and a nightmare at worst. They don't talk to each other and certainly cannot work well together. Tesla is vertically integrated, unlike the others.
Yep exactly.
Old 06-07-23, 11:14 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That is rapidly changing. It's the precise reason VW, BMW, and Mercedes amongst others all announced their next-gen vehicles are all going to have manufacturer-maintained operating systems. As Mercedes says, "Based on a purpose-built chip-to-cloud architecture, MB.OS benefits from full access to all vehicle domains: infotainment, automated driving, body & comfort, driving & charging."
Talk is cheap let's see if they deliver. Tesla announced the Cybertruck in 2019.
Old 06-07-23, 11:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Great rant from Sandy. He talks about the 5 stages of death in relation to EV's

Old 06-07-23, 11:44 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Am I the only one that doesn't like Sandy and his crew?
Old 06-07-23, 11:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Man I love this guy! Where else can you find a complete teardown of different EV's? I've never seen the inside of any battery pack until I found this channel
Old 06-07-23, 11:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Man I love this guy! Where else can you find a complete teardown of different EV's? I've never seen the inside of any battery pack until I found this channel
Haha fair, but for all the complaining about bean counters, he's just about the stingiest engineer on YT.
Old 06-07-23, 11:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

You don't appreciate the "hello boys and girls" opening of his vids?? 😁
Old 06-07-23, 11:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Haha fair, but for all the complaining about bean counters, he's just about the stingiest engineer on YT.
That's what they do. They look at processes, materials etc and advise companies how to cut costs. They are actually bean counters LOL
Old 06-07-23, 12:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Talk is cheap let's see if they deliver. Tesla announced the Cybertruck in 2019.
Tesla is also famous for being delayed with everything that they do. Such a delay is quite rare for the Germans, which is why VW's CARIAD disaster has been so widely publicized. BMW and Mercedes are right on schedule, so stay tuned. Next-gen CLA debuts MB.OS in 2024 (hits road in early 2025), BMW not until their Neue Klasse platform cars debut at the end of 2025. I have very serious doubts that they'll be deviating from that schedule.
Old 06-07-23, 12:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Tesla is also famous for being delayed with everything that they do. Such a delay is quite rare for the Germans, which is why VW's CARIAD disaster has been so widely publicized. BMW and Mercedes are right on schedule, so stay tuned. Next-gen CLA debuts MB.OS in 2024 (hits road in early 2025), BMW not until their Neue Klasse platform cars debut at the end of 2025. I have very serious doubts that they'll be deviating from that schedule.
VW debuted the ID with OTA, didn't get a single one for over a year.

Promises promises.
Tesla is also famous for being delayed with everything that they do.
Everything? And with that you just told us all you're not here to have a serious discussion.
Old 06-07-23, 12:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

you are not the only one.

Promises promises.
Everything? And with that you just told us all you're not here to have a serious discussion.
ok, just about everything. tell us anything elon promised (besides a promise like the day before) that was delivered when he said it would be.
Old 06-07-23, 12:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Promises promises.

I think I mentioned the state of VW's software issues twice already. And yes, I exaggerated by saying everything. But I can't tell if you're here to have a serious conversation given all you've done is cite VW being behind which we've already talked about. No matter which way you slice it, Tesla has a well-deserved reputation for talking about features and product being delivered on timelines that have not matched reality. This does not require debate.
Old 06-07-23, 01:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

This does not require debate.
Good, all is settled no need to talk about it anymore.

We'll ignore the fact the best selling car on earth came out early.
Old 06-07-23, 01:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Lex2k, curious what exactly has Elon promised that has not been delivered on time?
Old 06-07-23, 02:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Lex2k, curious what exactly has Elon promised that has not been delivered on time?
FSD, Cybertruck, Semi to name a few. FSD will never be "solved" the tipping point is when it can drive anywhere better than a person. Semi is out, Cybertruck in small numbers this year.

Now tell me what auto maker has FSD that can drive anywhere, structural battery, mega castings, dry process battery cells, 48 low volt architecture, OTA updates on every mass production car they've built from day 1. Context matters. But if some people only want to bang the same drum, Elon "promised" X have at it.

The stupid thing to me is it's not like Tesla makes forward looking statements, then does nothing about it. They pour blood and treasure into making it happen unlike so many other auto makers that promise the moon and do sweet blank all about it.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion